It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lift Question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:36 am 
LOST Junkie

Alright I'm pretty sure I'm addicted now just from looking at all the things people have done with their libertys. When I got mine I was sure that I had just been screwed out of a wrangler and I was destined to drive a "cool looking mom mobile" - How wrong was I?

Anyway, I saw some pictures of a slightly lifted liberty with the rubicon wheels and tires and I was looking for some info on that. It looked awesome so I was wondering how difficult it would be to fit the 245/75/16 tires without rubbing. How much would I have to lift it and what sort of price range would I be looking at?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:45 am 

You'd need to lift it around 2". Most of the lifts available are between 2-3" so it shouldn't be a problem. You'll need to do your research on what type of lift you want (spacer vs. spring). You can get a cheapo lift for $200 if you use spacers and do the install yourself. If you go for the best of the best and pay for installation you're looking at over $1000.

I'd recommend Rusty's spring lift or, if you're really into off roading, then the Frankenlift from All J Products is the cream of the crop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:55 am 
LOST Junkie

I can only offroad on the weekends and the places that are available around here are not TOO hardcore.

What would be the best choice for someone who drives on road usually ( not much highway driving, but some ) for a lift. Also, how much modification would I have to do after the lift to make sure the tires dont rub?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:25 am 

Rusty's coil lift would probably be your best bet. It is a full spring lift and a great value. You probably wouldn't get much benefit from the Frankenlift with the activities you described.

Wheel well modification is a case by case thing. Some people don't have any problems (or don't care about slight rubbing) and others cut, pound, heat, etc. It would also depend on what size wheel you run and the particular tire you choose (there are slight variations in size among the 245/75/16 tires available). Also, if you spend more time off road you may get more rubbing in those situations. If you never leave the pavement you might not notice it. That being said, 245/75/16 is a relatively easy tire to fit. If you have to do any modification it wouldn't be much. The most common contact spots are the pinch weld at the back of the wheel well (cut away plastic, pound down metal), front of the wheel well at full lock (heat gun and push plastic forward), and sway bar at full lock (get a wheel with greater offset). I'm not saying you'll have all those problems, but those are common and easy to fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

Alright .. thanks for the help

Would the lift change the ride quality on road?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:45 pm 

Only for the better...the back end is a little stiff in stock form. Rusty's will ride a touch more plush back there and the front end won't change much, if at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

Alright one last question then I'll shut up :oops:

What is the actual difference between the full kit from rusty's or just the spacers? If it's not much of a difference the spacers would save me a wad of cash.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:15 pm 
LOST Addict

The spacer lift just puts blocks in to make it taller - the same springs are used.

The coil lift actually puts longer springs in to give it longer travel in addition to being taller.

If the only reason you want the lift is to fit the tires under there, you can survive with just the spacers. You can actually get much cheaper spacer kits (2.5" spacer kits as low as $130 I've seen).

If you want to be able to really use those tires, you'll want some coils. No point in having big tires if you can't drive over something big with em!

Figure you're adding 2.5 inches to the jeep. Do you want that 2.5 inches to be solid plastic / poly / whatever or do you want that 2.5 inches to be spring?

Another thing to think about is that with a taller jeep, you'll want a suspension that is designed for that. Just taking the jeep and making it taller with blocks might give you nothing but a higher chance of rollover, whereas a spring lift can actually improve your on-road feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

Alright .. do you think there is any chance the dealership would install such a thing? I'm pretty sure that's out of my league. Or any shop for that matter .. im sure I could find somebody.

Also, a 2.5 inch lift doesnt look stupid does it? I don't want it to end up looking like a monster truck heh .. it's what I drive to school every day too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

auggy wrote:
Alright .. do you think there is any chance the dealership would install such a thing? I'm pretty sure that's out of my league. Or any shop for that matter .. im sure I could find somebody.

Also, a 2.5 inch lift doesnt look stupid does it? I don't want it to end up looking like a monster truck heh .. it's what I drive to school every day too

Where are you located?

L.O.S.T. #000202
2021 Compass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:03 pm 
I live here
I live here

IMany people on here drive around with stock size tires and a 2 1/2" lift. Looks good. Beefier tires make it look even better, but stock still looks good.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

Near Cleveland, Ohio

And due to my current financial status ( HAHA ) .. I'm going to do the lift and install an exhaust system, then hope for the wheels and tires for xmas

Post subject: re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:20 am 
LOST Newbie

i have the rusty's spacer lift with 31's and i take mine off road. i dont stay on the "kiddy" trails either. the ride is nice. as with any lift, it wont be as good as stock but its not far from it. maybe other people have had bad rides with the spacers but as with all installs on the libby, the outcome is vehicle specific. if your on a budget, go with the spacer kit first and see what you think. i'm like you, my libby is my everyday driver, and i might go off road a couple times a month. as much as i do take it out, the spacers get the job done for me.

K&N FIPK Intake
a few sounds mods and that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:24 pm 

There are plenty of people on this board that started wheeling their KJs when there was nothing but spacer lifts available. My first lift was a two inch spacer and it worked for what it was. It gives extra height, but that's it.

Besides just adding height, the spring lifts can add flex and improve the ride. When you're rock crawling this can keep an extra tire on the ground and make all the difference in the world. The spacer lifts available will work if you're on a budget, but there are better alternatives if you have a little extra $$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

well since there is no terrain like that around here I guess I don't really have to worry heh .. the only hills are muddy not rocky

I think the spacer kit will suit me fine .. just need parental approval :oops:

Post subject: Spacer lisfts are also OK for serious offroad activities
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Well, I installed my spacer kit (Daystar 2.5" -- about $250) along with larger shocks (Ranchos RSX).

The configuration works great for me. Almost stock feel on the road, and a very beefy behaviour offroad.

Of course, there are more expensive kits, but even with the spacer kits, if you drive carefully, you can follow the rest of the guys, no matter where they decide to go.

Get some larger tires ASAP as well.

2005 Liberty Sport 4X4 - Rock Rails - Frankenlift
- Ranchos RSX - 245/75/16 BFG AT KO - Full skids - Rock Rails - True Trac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:43 am 
LOST Junkie

I plan on it .. the whole reason behind the lift is to be able to fit 345/75/16's =]

Do you have to replace the rear shocks? I don't want it to look very lifted, just enough to fit the wheels/tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

345/75's on a libby would be something to see :-p

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

I know man it looks awesome:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... 62&start=0

That's tokyojoe's kj with 245/75's

*EDIT* wow I'm an idiot and I can't type .. i meant 245's :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I ordered my KJ from my local dealer to include a 2"spacer lift and 245/70/16's on Rubicon wheels. At first I trimmed the pinch weld & plastic and over time wore down the outside corners of my Dunlop ATs so there's very little rubbing anymore.That setup made for good wheeling and a little stiffer on-road than stock, but recently have changed over to Rusty's 2.5" coil lift and the ride is like 'butta' now.
Rubicons can be had for around $500/set, and the Rusty's kit installed $800.
City potholes and the occaisonal curb, highway smoothness, or rocks and mudholes on the trail this combo is the best bang for your buck and it looks good doin' it!

FactorySkids, BoulderBars

...like moonlight through the pines...