It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TRAC-LOK FACTORY POSI
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:03 pm 
LOST Member

i found a TRAC-LOK FACTORY POSI for 230 shiped is this worth it or should i spend the extra $ and get a POWERTRAX - LOCK-RIGHT LOCKER - FITS IN FACTORY NON-POSI CASE for 350 shiped? and would the powertrax be good for an everyday driver????

Post subject: Re: TRAC-LOK FACTORY POSI
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My 02 KJ wrote:
i found a TRAC-LOK FACTORY POSI for 230 shiped is this worth it or should i spend the extra $ and get a POWERTRAX - LOCK-RIGHT LOCKER - FITS IN FACTORY NON-POSI CASE for 350 shiped? and would the powertrax be good for an everyday driver????

The power-trax lock-right will not be good for a daily driver. The power-trax no-slip is what you would want. However, some people have had problems with the no-slip and a manual tranny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:24 pm 
LOST Member

yeah i have seen that and i dont want to risk it so would the stock posi be good for when im looking for. i want the abr air lockers but im trying to get it fixed b4 the obx run on the 8th

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The factory trac loc is ok as long as all 4 wheels are on the ground. As soon as a wheel comes up the free wheel spins like a champ while the other doesn't do much. Just my experience with the factory limited slip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BassandGrass wrote:
The factory trac loc is ok as long as all 4 wheels are on the ground. As soon as a wheel comes up the free wheel spins like a champ while the other doesn't do much. Just my experience with the factory limited slip.

That should depend on which wheel comes off the ground and what mode your transfer case is in.

If you're in full-time 4wd and one of your front wheels lifts then yes all the power will go to that wheel 'cos the centre diff's open and so's the front one. If you're in part-time 4wd or low-range then the centre diff's locked so you should get at least one front wheel and one rear wheel turning.

If you're in one of the 'locked' modes and just one rear's turning then the LSD should kick in, but sometimes it takes a bit of persuasion. If you're not giving it enough gas then the difference in speed between the non-spinning and spinning wheels isn't enough to activate it, try revving harder! Or try yanking the handbrake on and off, that can help activate the LSD.

Or failing that, just use "manual traction control" by feathering the brakes to nip up the freely spinning wheels and transfer a bit of torque to the gripping wheels. That's got me out of trouble more times than I care to count!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My 02 KJ wrote:
yeah i have seen that and i dont want to risk it so would the stock posi be good for when im looking for. i want the abr air lockers but im trying to get it fixed b4 the obx run on the 8th

You might want something a little more than the Factory LSD such at the True-trac. Alot of people use it in the front and love it.

Post subject: trac-loc limited slip....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

you don't specifically mention it but would you be doing the installation yourself?....

perhaps you know all this but just in case....presumably you have an "open" rear differential...nothing but four differential gears in the case/carrier....a powertrax "no-slip" locker will replace these four gears without removing the carrier from the pumpkin...somewhere around $400....reasonably easy to do yourself....(the "lock-rite" design is a different product and not recommended for a daily driver by some folks here on this forum)...

the spicer trac-loc limited slip is a clutch pack mechanism that fits behind the two side gears in the carrier...the ends of the axle shafts slip through these clutches....c-clips seat in the side gears to retain the axles....you will need a carrier with recesses machined to allow space for the clutch packs...so you will have to remove the entire carrier assembly, remove your ring gear and install it on the specifically designed carrier....reinstalling the carrier assembly into the pumpkin is not an easy job to do yourself....setting the correct ring gear-to-pinon gear lash will require special tools to do it right....

perhaps your price quote is for a complete carrier assembly...if not, since the clutch packs are spring loaded, they are also tricky to install....a local jeep shop might charge a couple hundred bucks (?) labor to do all of this work....your price quote may be just for the clutch packs alone....it may be intended for simply replacing a existing worn out set....

this particular limited-slip is considered by some jeep guys to be marginally effective for off-roading....I think you have better options that would be less expensive and easier to install....

I had the factory trac-loc....it was brand new and I suppose it was working as designed....I replaced it with the powertrax no-slip locker based on study of this forum....I don't have any complaints with it so far...

'98 TJ sport gunmetal blue
33's with modifications to make them fit....still need a few more things....

first jeep....
'04 liberty sport 4x4 khaki
modified as recommended by L.O.S.T.....major fun on vacation....

L.O.S.T. (in fla.) #000496

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:19 pm 
LOST Member

yeah i did alot of looking and calling today and i bought a power trax no slip locker "bought from rocky road 365 shipped"they said its realy easy just replaces your spider gears. i have a few friends over at the dodge dealership that said they would help me out and work for beer :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the info ed! I'll try it some time to see if it helps me get more hp to the dirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:38 pm 
LOST Member

true trac is not 5sp friendly from what i have heard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My 02 KJ wrote:
true trac is not 5sp friendly from what i have heard

Eddo wrote:
The power-trax lock-right will not be good for a daily driver. The power-trax no-slip is what you would want. However, some people have had problems with the no-slip and a manual tranny.

The powertrax no-slip is not 5-speed friendly. I installed one in TheChuckleStart's jeep and he is going to be replacing it with an ARB because of the issues with shifting.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... =powertrax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:21 am 
LOST Member

oh ok i thought i had seen a post about true trax as well... anywas it should be a good mod for my jk. i called rocky-road outfitter where i got my lift from and i spoke with one of the guys that has the noslip for a 5spd that used to be an open rear. he said he has not heard of it not working before. he said if for any reason it does not work he would refund my $$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My 02 KJ wrote:
oh ok i thought i had seen a post about true trax as well... anywas it should be a good mod for my jk. i called rocky-road outfitter where i got my lift from and i spoke with one of the guys that has the noslip for a 5spd that used to be an open rear. he said he has not heard of it not working before. he said if for any reason it does not work he would refund my $$

Make sure you get that in writting ... :lol: :lol: J/K :lol: :lol:

~JUD 8)

Post subject: no-slip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

What are the problems? As long as corners are taken reasonably, preferably coasting, they should work like an open diff. Under power they are locked and should be very prdictable. Are the problems on or off road?

I hate gossip and love fact's!

Ramsey 8500,
homemade rockrails and frt bumper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:19 pm 
LOST Member

ha ha well the story is that someone put this power trax no slip locker in "the same one i just bought" and the had probs sfifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3.... i was told that they have not had any 1 call about that problem. i call richmond gear the people who make it and asked the same thing and they never heard of that happing they said it was prolly due to improper install or a bad part

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:06 am 
LOST Member

I had a No Slip in my 5 spd cherokee for two years and loved it. Never had any problems shifting or anything else. It will make an occasional noise or two though

Mopar skids & Rocky Road Supersliders
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bighause

Retired Jeeps - 84CJ, 90YJ, 97XJ, 86CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:36 pm 
LOST Member

many paopler are telling me that i should not have bought it ....we will see when i get it in next weekend