It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well the welder was working pretty good, shame the person welding wasn't As good...but at least I burned it all together.

Sandblasted:

Still needs some clean-up, might change the bosses (for the bolts) under the front to a recessed style and probably end up adding a hoop above the winch. Then it is off to sandblasting and back for prep & paint.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Last edited by JJsTJ on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Fabtech Customized TJ Bumper
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Here is my fav jeep bumper of all time fitted to my KJ:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Realized I never added the finished pics.....

Winch still needs to be wired up and IF I make the hoop it will probably make it bolt-on.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:55 am 
LOST Addict

I bought the bumper from quadratec.

The bumper comes stock with 4 arms, 2 sets parallel, the top arms with 2 bolt holes and the bottom arms with one. I extended all 4 arms out with 1/4" thick flatbar that is 2" wide. I drilled two new holes into the frame from above and used the two bolt locations for the tow hooks on the bottom. So each arm now has 2 bolts running through them for a total of 8 bolts.

When you remove the stock front bumper you see two rounded crush caps, these crush caps unbolt and cover a hole in the front of the frame and that is where I ran the bolts. The bottom bolts and holes were already there from my Mopar tow hooks and they lined up pretty much perfectly with the arms so no new drilling was required. I simply extended the arms out, made sure the holes would match and then drilled through the arms and into the frame for the top and then ran the bolts.

I tested the strength and integrity of the bumper with a Ford F-350. I towed the truck while in reverse in my jeep, going uphill backwards while the guy applied the brakes gradually harder and harder. Eventually he stopped and I jerked the truck with the bumper to see how it handled a nice tugging from a "stuck" vehicle. No movement, bending, breaking or anything at all resembling a problem or issue with the new arm mounting system. I also added the stock turn signals back on it. I drilled out the grill side screw hole just enough to fit a small allen head bolt and then used some washers to mount it to the body. They sit in the stock location almost exactly.

Last edited by Inc on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: ROCK LIZARD FRONT BUMPERS
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:20 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

As many already know, I have taken some time off to catch up on past orders and work on the new stuff, and get things going with the new manufacturer. So, since the light duty version of the rear bumper is exactly the same as the HD version I have now, just 1/8" plate instead of 3/16", and there will not be provisions to add carriers and no hitch, but will still have the shackle tabs and the recess to use the stock tire carrier, and due to the overwhelming response to an option for those that want a high clearance bumper with recovery points but want to use the stock carrier and hitch, the new light duty version is a go and will go into production the same time as the HD version. As I mentioned in another post, no payments up front, and get your order in now, because prices are going up soon, and the list of orders already getting long, on top of preorders for roof racks, sliders, front bumpers, SFA kits, etc.

And for the front bumpers, they will be going to production soon now that I have had a little more time to work on touching up the plans. Front, gas and belly pans are also on the drawing board. Things are going to be a little slow for the rest of the year because I need the time to finish all of the product designs I have drawn on cocktail napkins (actually IHOP napkins), because I am going back big time with a full product line for you guys. I know a lot of you are itching for stuff now, but I think you are going to be really impressed with this new stuff. Have a couple top secret products on the drawing board too that are really going to blow your mind.

And don't be afraid to get that preorder in, no risk, and it really helps me weigh out what I need to stock up on. With the list I have already, production will actually be a lot faster because I know how much risk I can take on extra tools, bigger shop, and more help. If I am slow responding to a pm, email, or call, send me a reminder after a week. I am going from 8am and usually don't pass out until after 3am, and still don't have any time to get to everything, and a day off is one of those things I haven't had time for in months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The new light duty rear bumber will not have the intergrated hitch.The MOPAR OEM rear hitch will still work if you need the use of a rear hitch,the OEM one is the only known hitch to work since RL used my OEM rear hitch for the purpose of making sure his bumber and the hitch can be both bolted up and used(you will need longer bolts). RL will have to chime in with the price but as for looks it will look just like the Komodo rear bumber,but will have caps under the taillights since there will be no provisions for carriers,no hitch,and the main skin will be 1/8" instead of 3/16" steel(mounts will be the same 1/4"). The license plate mount and light are included with the bumber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:51 pm 

It will look like this (except the licence plate will be on a bracket on the spare. Same rear as the HD, minus the hitch and the recesses under the taillights are capped. Price will be around $650.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/KDRKJLD.bmp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Is the light duty bumper recess the same as the one pictured, or does it more resemble the stock KJ bumper recess? Reason being, why can't I have the plate / light mounted as shown on the HD model? And just for the record, how much is the bumper exactly as shown in that (linked) photo? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The recess will be the same as the HD bumber.You can also mount the plate/light anywhere you want but the bumber will come with the bracket to mount on the spare. $895 as shown in the linked pic, plus shipping.

Post subject: Rock Lizard HD Rear Bumper License Plate Mount and Light
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:45 am 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

I am running a spare mounted plate/light on my Liberty. It works well except you have to take the plate off when you rotate your tires (assuming that you are doing a 5 tire rotation) but that isn't a big deal at all. I ran my wire out of the top of the door and covered it with wire loom. I wired in a flat 2-pole trailer light connector so its easy to remove the plate.

The wire runs in wire loom the whole way. Its spliced from the original termination point and up through the gap between the bumper and the body

Up the edge of the door behind the hinge and under the window gasket

Over the edge of the door

and behind the spare

Through the wheel and behind the plate

I used a two wire moisture proof trailer light connector

It makes it easy to disconnect and remove the plate

The plate holder has a long stud welded to the back of it

I didn't remove the spare, but there is a triangular shaped plate with holes that fit over the studs on the spare tire holder and has a nut welded in the middle that the stud threads into.

I ran a die down the stud and put a few more threads on it so that it would be straight when the threads bottom out. Then I put a wing nut on the back of it just for security.

Hope that helps make it more clear how its wired and mounted.

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:51 am 
LOST Addict

I bought a winch plate from Harbor Freight yesterday and cut and fit it to my Fabtech front bumper. I welded it to the mounting arms as well as the main lower round bar of the bumper. It turned out great, but I don't have pics yet. I just need a haus fairled, winch and some synthetic line and I'll be good to go. I may not run a winch, haven't ever planned on it, but I wanted to get rid of the plastic Bushwacker shroud I had covering the empty space meant for a winch plate and looks like mission accomplished.

Harbor Freight Winch Plate link courtesy of Joey: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=90476

Last edited by Inc on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer's SC Rockstar modified with a winch plate and winch:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:18 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

TJM have discontinued thier T17 for the 05+ KJ's :(

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Does the TJM bumper have the winch mounted on top or inside the bumper?

06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:31 am 
LOST Addict

KJ Willy wrote:
Does the TJM bumper have the winch mounted on top or inside the bumper?

From any pic I've seen of the TJM with a winch, they go inside like the ARB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Customized ARB front bumper by imajeepnut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:02 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

tjm t17 winch cradle

bumper installed ,

templates to come

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tube bumper completed.

Enjoy :D
Bub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There's some more pics in the pics of rigs section.When I installed the snorkel I did it at my Uncle's and forgot the camera.The bumper was a solid day of welding positioning and bolting.Sorry no pics of install.The diamondplating was perty simple,made a template from fine tuning some cordboard,then took a jigsaw to an old black truck toolbox.

The plating up top is the air foil on the roof rack.And the skid is 1/4 inch steel.
This bumper is heavy-duty by all means.Bumper-125 pounds Winch-85 pounds total-210 pounds.

Bub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:43 pm 
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!

Well, after a year of grief I finally got my bumper....
I am happy with it... It is truly one of a kind... (for now)
I don't know if I would do it all over again or not... We'll see when It is on the KJ.. :wink: The welds are top notch, Some of the best I have seen in person... Jason and I have talked and were able to work things out... The past is in the past... Nothing more to say about everything that had happened.. The total price to my door was $900... No paint....obviously..
I am having it Line-Xed sometime next week... and have the Piaa 510's ready to go. Will post more pics in the near future...
(Oh by the way the shipping company L.O.S.T the bumper for 3 days...(Somewhere in between Chicago and Detroit) :roll: I was a little mad...

Thanks to Mudd for listening to me say "BUMPER" everyday, for 365 days! :shock: :wink:

Cheers
Chris

3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next