It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I know that I have asked this before but I can't find it.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Will a 3 inch lift give me alot more complications then a 2 or 2.5 inch lift? I am looking at all the lift options becuase I know the group buy probably isn't going to happen. There is one that is really interesting me http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2010217/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2010217/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=liberty%20lift but I don't really know anything about this stuff. Could someone help me by telling me if this kit is even worth the trouble of buying it?

THanks

~JUD 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:30 am 
LOST Junkie

The consensus is that a lift exceeding 2.5 inches will have a long term mainteance problems in 4X mode. Specifically CV joints. I don't see a set of struts in there so I imagine they will self destruct also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Go w/ a proven lift like Rustys or Frankenlift. 2.5" is plenty for the KJ until you are ready to step up to a SFA lift.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What is a SFA lift? I keep hearing it and trying to ask the question becuase it makes me look stupid LOL.

~JUD 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Only stupid ? is one that is never asked.

SFA= SOlid Front Axle

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How much and where would I get that? Is that the whole kit front and back? Or is there two diffrent kits that you would have to get to get the entire KJ in there air??

~JUD 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:08 am 
LOST Junkie

There is no such thing as a stupid question. ..SFA = Solid front axle like what was used on Cherokee's. IFS = indepenent front suspension like what we have on the Liberty, new GC, Dodge trucks, Chevy trucks and more... the way the world is going.

I am old school and wish they had kepSFA's on the Liberty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:15 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

It's cause all the stupid people who buy their suv's then drive em like it's their porshe. If you notice now all the new Ford Explorers have independent rear suspension, think it's probably cause all those people flipped theirs? Probably.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
It's cause all the stupid people who

Stupidity is thinking people with different tastes and priorities are stupid because they have different tastes and priorities.

The truth is this: For the vast majority of the time that the vast majority of people are in their vehicles the vast majority of people would say that independent suspensions offer a more comfortable ride than solid axles. Auto manufacturers are in business to sell product and they have determined this through extensive market research. Catering to niche demographics is not a money making venture for companies the size of DC, GM, Ford, etc. That's where places like All J shine and profit - from the 1% of owners who aren't satisfied with stock options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:46 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SethX9 wrote:
Quote:
It's cause all the stupid people who

Stupidity is thinking people with different tastes and priorities are stupid because they have different tastes and priorities.

The truth is this: For the vast majority of the time that the vast majority of people are in their vehicles the vast majority of people would say that independent suspensions offer a more comfortable ride than solid axles. Auto manufacturers are in business to sell product and they have determined this through extensive market research. Catering to niche demographics is not a money making venture for companies the size of DC, GM, Ford, etc. That's where places like All J shine and profit - from the 1% of owners who aren't satisfied with stock options.

What I was meaning by my statement was one of the reasons that companies these days are going with independent suspension and now we can see 4 wheel independent suspensions on suvs is because of safety. Certainly back in the firestone tire and explorer roll over craze a good majority of those tires weren't bad, but either under inflated or over loaded. Either way doesn't really matter, the companies ended up paying alot of money, and now a few production years later Explorers with 4 wheel independent suspension are on the market. I would venture a guess to say that probably isn't a coincidence.

Of course also not saying that there probably weren't tires that were bad, or Explorers off the lot that may have had issues like that, but I would be hard pressed to believe that there were that many with problems. More likely the companies paid out to quiet the customers so it wouldn't affect their company image, and in the case of Ford alter the design of one of their popular vehicles to make it safer for a wider range of drivers that are now driving the suv. Certainly comfort is an issue, especially with IFS however safety is another big one too.

Justin

P.S. Not wanting to start a flame or anything just wanting to clarify my opinion. Stupidity to me is doing something without a measure of safety to fall back on (I.E. driving a 2+ ton vehicle like it's a 1ton sports car)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:56 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:

Now there is a saying we should all live by. Thanks for the new sig Seth. :)