It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trac-loc rebuild?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a 2002 Limited, automatic transmission, with 50,000 miles on it. The rear differential is a factory trac-loc. This vehicle is my daily driver.

I've heard some folks say the trac-loc needs to be rebuilt at about 50k, but I've had the dealership mechanics say it should last 100k+ miles.

A differential shop said I should rebuild the trac-loc rather than replace it with a power-trax. At least until I wear out the spider gears, then I can replace the trac-loc with something else.

What's the general experience with trac-loc's? Have you had to rebuild them? At what mileage did you rebuild them. How did you test if it needed rebuilding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:41 pm 
LOST Member

I have never rebuilt mine, but I have to imagine that the clutches would wear out pretty quick with 245's and offroad use. I guess, when it quits working as a positrac then it needs to be rebuilt? I doubt it would last to 100k miles unless it never went offroad and was on a stock vehicle.

By the way, No Slip lockers work very well! I had one in my XJ and loved it, but mod I ever added!

Mopar skids & Rocky Road Supersliders
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bighause

Retired Jeeps - 84CJ, 90YJ, 97XJ, 86CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:14 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I've been told by a buddy that happens to be a Jeep Tech. that the trac-loc is good for about 50K. Some last longer and some don't go as far as 50...

Another buddy I wheel with had his go out at about 40k on a difficult obstical causing him to be strapped up and into a tree (sorry about that Jason...I didn't hear you say stop!"...... :P ) it was a small tree anyway.

Powertrac is pretty quiet...but not as queit as your trac lock, so If you deciede to go that route be aware that you will feel/hear the powertrax when turning tightly, if you live in an area that gets alot of snow and ice you might want to go for the Auburn Limited Slip. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=182

Good luck 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My vote for 'Funniest Off-Road Scene' in a movie is in "The Gods Must Be Crazy" where the bumbling white guy walks away from his truck while it's being winched out of a river to attend to his female charge. When they get back the truck appears gone. It has winched itself up a tree and is dangling above them like a 2-ton bunch of grapes!

Post subject: trakloc
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Get a Powertrax No-slip, it's quiet and replaces the traklok clutches totally.

As far as lasting, mine was still working at 50,000+ miles. I think it may depend on driving situations. A pizza delivery guy would wear it out faster than a traveling salesman with long straight drives.

Ramsey 8500,
homemade rockrails and frt bumper.

Post subject: hey vern...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

we spoke (typed) a few times last year after you installed the front true-trac....I ended up following your lead and put one in my jeep...

how much will it cost to rebuild the factory limited slip?....will the rebuild require the removal of the differential housing to access the clutch packs?...

it might be no more expensive and comparable labor to replace it with the powertrax no-slip....I'm sure you know that the powertrax is generally recommended by the big shots here....

I've read here of your previous participation in the club trail rides out west....I would of guessed that you already had this upgrade....I also put one in my jeep rear differential and went to moab to introduce myself....it worked great and I was able to fit in well with the veterans :P

'98 TJ sport gunmetal blue
33's with modifications to make them fit....still need a few more things....

first jeep....
'04 liberty sport 4x4 khaki
modified as recommended by L.O.S.T.....major fun on vacation....

L.O.S.T. (in fla.) #000496

Post subject: Thanks everybody
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeff:
Not a lot of snow here in AZ but I do go up north to go skiing once in awhile so it is a concern. The trac-loc has been no problem in those conditions.

Steve:
Good to hear from you again. How's your son doing?
The differential shop that installed my front true-trac quoted me a price of $350 to rebuild the trac-loc. They recommend it until I wear out the spider gears then replace the whole assembly. It would cost me at least that much to buy the powertrax, plus the labor to install it. I'm not as skilled as you mechanically. I was very impressed with your write-up of your true-trac installation, nicely done. I also read with interest the chronicles of your trip to Moab. Wish I could have made it, maybe next year.

DP:
That's what I was told as well. The daily driving is what wears it out more so than off-roading. My driving is split 50-50 freeway and around town so I'm probably still ok. I haven't really noticed too much performance loss on the trail. I don't seem to have as much traction as I remember anymore but nothing drastic. My main concern is for my front differential. I have the front lockers and my concern is that if I lose power on my rear axle due to the trac-loc wearing out I'll be relying more on my front axle and that sounds like asking for trouble. I think I'll go ahead and rebuild the trac-loc for now. My wife just got an insurance settlement so I think I'll lobby for some money while the iron's hot.