It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:44 am 
LOST Junkie

Having owned a highly modded 2006 KJ Renegade (Lift, lock, and MTR's) and now own a stock 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Factory Dana 44's, Factory BFG MT's 32's, Factory front and rear lockers, Factory power sway bar disco, factory 4.10 gearing, factory strong SQUARE rock rails, factory skid plates that are thicker than the Renegade "D" package plates.....which on my Renegade are beat to heck, and they have yet to be touched on my Rubicon).........the Rubicon DOMINATES my Renegade......stock, my Rubicon has a half inch taller more clearance to boot over my lifted Liberty........

I have wheeled the living pees out of both vehicles and time and time again, my Rubicon 4dr JK just wipes the floor with my Renegade.......I am and was VERY VERY impressed and pleased with my Renegade......but since the Rubicon JK, the Renegade has been set to pasture in the mall parking lot.

-2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Overland Expeditions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:55 pm 
LOST Member

I have both and my LJ is far better than my KJ except going to and from
places to wheel. Until last week they both had 2"BB with 32" tires and both are locked in the rear. just went to 33" on the LJ because I got them for free.a Jeep/SUV wont do better than a Jeep/Jeep
Just my thoughts we all have one.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:59 am 
LOST Addict

on the jeep jamboree i did everything without being towed.. when multiple wranglers had to be pulled This includes the stock JK rubi that was behind me as well as a rubi unlimited and a few others that didnt make it though stuff my lightly modded KJ did with open diff's. traction control wasnt a factor because in 4-lo the computer shuts if off. i think a stock KJ would follow a wrangler (execpt rubi) though anything.. perhaps struggle a bit more but it could def. do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

4-lo does not shut the traction control off. It only shuts parts of it off, the "locker" part of it stays on all the time, and makes a big difference.

Frankenlift, Al's Arms
245/75R16 KM2s on Moabs with Monster Valves
ARB Bull Bar, WARN M8000 winch, IPF 900XS driving lights
Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Super Skink Sliders, and roof rails
Defender Roof Rack
Powertank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepjeepster wrote:
A lifted and locked KJ will do better than a stock rubi offroad.

This has gotta be the funniest thing Ive read in a LONG time :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: You must be kiddin right?? My stock Rubi walked through stuff yall might not even dream of doin in a KJ...

Bottom line is this, you give a professional rock crawler a TJ and see what he can do, then give the SAME rock crawler a KJ and see what happens. Not to dawg the KJ, but cmon seriously yall?? :roll: This debate needs to stop we've had it before, I woulda hoped yall can see that the TJ is superior bottom line...no need to argue it, no need for another useless debate with name callin. Just admit it, its real easy :lol:

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:07 pm 
LOST Addict

kj in a tight spot wrote:
Jeepjeepster wrote:

This has gotta be the funniest thing Ive read in a LONG time :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: You must be kiddin right?? My stock Rubi walked through stuff yall might not even dream of doin in a KJ...

Bottom line is this, you give a professional rock crawler a TJ and see what he can do, then give the SAME rock crawler a KJ and see what happens. Not to dawg the KJ, but cmon seriously yall?? :roll: This debate needs to stop we've had it before, I woulda hoped yall can see that the TJ is superior bottom line...no need to argue it, no need for another useless debate with name callin. Just admit it, its real easy :lol:

Stock Rubicons come with lockers right?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Jeger wrote:
Jeepjeepster wrote:

Yep.

Edit: And the truth is (As Seth proved) is the capability of your vehicle can go as far as your pockets allow it.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeger wrote:
Jeepjeepster wrote:

Yes, are you just askin or tryin to make a point with that one?

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject: Re: kj rene has the same offroad ability as what model wrang
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:31 am 
LOST Newbie

smithstoo wrote:
iv'e been all over with the kj in the socal deserts & washes. if i add a wrangler to the stable would the 08
x model with 24s pkg be just as capable and more?

no need for rubi...
08 used as daily driver & weekend desert fun.

if a better pkg or option please post your view.
thanks
bc

ps..I tend to leave jeeps stock

If you tend to leave Jeeps stock then I'd look for a used 06 or 07 rubicon with the 4:1 transfer case. I agree that any stock wrangler has more off road capability than a stock liberty. From design, to parts, dimensions, and offroad performance, etc. there's no way around this fact, and you buy themfor knowing this and compromising catered toward your experience level and trails you'll take it on.

Sometimes what makes the difference is skill on the trailand knowing your vechicles, limitations. Read the spec sheets all you want but if you try to push any STOCK jeep to the limit you're bound to see the limitations meaning that experience and knowing what you want out of your jeep off road makes the difference.

I agree that you can modify thingsto help out the KJ but then modification is toobraod a topic for your original question.

Remember as much off road capability as ANY STOCK Jeep has, if there weren't off road limitations, no one would bother modifying them.

Check this art out
http://www.pasefika.com

Post subject: Im kind of a wrangler expert
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok ive owned 4 tjs so i think i qualify hehe, not to mention the yjs. Wrangler tj or jk with 33s and a simple small tera flex 3t lift would own just about every 4x4 made. Sure there are exceptions but not many, kjs are good offroaders atleast they have a real rear axle. I just bought a used 2000 nissan frontier 4x4 im stumped why its low range doesnt pull me out? Every jeep ive owned walks in low which is a great thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:31 am 
LOST Addict

Jeger wrote:
Jeepjeepster wrote:

Yes, are you just askin or tryin to make a point with that one?

I was pretty sure they did, so I guess both. I could see a kj with a lift lockers, or even esp (4wh traction control) outperforming a wrangler with open diffs, but a wrangler with lockers? I dont think so..

Now if that KJ just happened to be a CRD we would have a different story...Nothing beats DIESEL POWER :twisted: <---thats a joke...

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject: Re: kj rene has the same offroad ability as what model wrang
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:00 am 
This member has been Banned

KJ2005 wrote:
Sometimes what makes the difference is skill on the trail and knowing your vechicles, limitations. Read the spec sheets all you want but if you try to push any STOCK jeep to the limit you're bound to see the limitations meaning that experience and knowing what you want out of your jeep off road makes the difference.

This is probably one of the best statements ever made
I can drive my wifes KJ where people with 33's on an open/open TJ have problems
why?
I know the trails not because the KJ is better
I can walk all over a KJ with my TJ and never lock the front diff but I dont like to drive it for 4 hours to the trail
Oh wait I leave in about an hour to do just that ,drive 4 hours to the trail
It will suck but the ride on the trail will be fun

Post subject: Re: Im kind of a wrangler expert
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

CRDLIBERTY wrote:
Ok ive owned 4 tjs so i think i qualify hehe, not to mention the yjs. Wrangler tj or jk with 33s and a simple small tera flex 3t lift would own just about every 4x4 made. Sure there are exceptions but not many, kjs are good offroaders atleast they have a real rear axle. I just bought a used 2000 nissan frontier 4x4 im stumped why its low range doesnt pull me out? Every jeep ive owned walks in low which is a great thing.

'
Ialthough this is off topic I'm thinking that it could do with because you might have a 2.01:1 transfer case, (as you probably know ) capared to jeep liberty 2.72:1 and wrnagler 2.72:1 and 4:1 (rubicon)

Check this art out
http://www.pasefika.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

I love the Wranglers and KJ's because they serve a different function offroad. The only real bright spot for the wrangler offroad is the rocks and tight trails. You could never convince me that the wrangler is a good ride in the sand. They have way too much wheel hop when compared to other rides like the KJ. The KJ on the other hand is awsome in the sand, and is head and shoulders above all 4x4's, not just the wrangler. In mud the wrangler is just too short and you get turned sideways in the ruts and get stuck, an unlimited or a KJ is what you need to ride muddy trails. I

Try to focus on the whole picture, not just the rocks because as strange as it may sound more people go to the Little Saraha Sand dunes in Utah over Easter weekend than goto the Easter Jeep Safai in Moab. Last year over 50,000 people went to the dunes that weekend, so keep it in perspective.

If you drive in the rocks, buy a Wrangler.

I you goto the dunes, get the KJ.

1985 Mitsubishi Pickup SP 2.3 Turbo Diesel Watercooled turbo,4D56 ported head,
12" Suspension Lift with JK Rubicon axles, Elockers, 5.13's, Fox coilovers, Atlas 5.0, Rock Lizard supersliders

1996 Lexus LX450 -locked and lifted-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

I love the uniqueness of wheeling a KJ because people don't normally think of Liberty's on the trail. Modifying a Liberty shows the unique character of the owner and that he or she doesn't want to be like every other TJ/JK owner. I'm not taking away the capability of the TJ/JK but lots of people wheel those. They're by far more capable than the KJ, I dont think anyone has to admit that, it's like common sense. It's just neat to see KJ's out there doing their thing...not the same old TJ with 33's and a lift. Not everyone is out there to be the biggest/baddest driver doing all the hard trails and own the biggest/baddest Jeep...some just want to wheel what they have and be happy with it. :wink:

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FastTRX wrote:
I love the uniqueness of wheeling a KJ because people don't normally think of Liberty's on the trail. Modifying a Liberty shows the unique character of the owner and that he or she doesn't want to be like every other TJ/JK owner. I'm not taking away the capability of the TJ/JK but lots of people wheel those. They're by far more capable than the KJ, I dont think anyone has to admit that, it's like common sense. It's just neat to see KJ's out there doing their thing...not the same old TJ with 33's and a lift. Not everyone is out there to be the biggest/baddest driver doing all the hard trails and own the biggest/baddest Jeep...some just want to wheel what they have and be happy with it. :wink:

Nicely put i cant agree more. Wheel what you have. Is all about having fun.

1979 CJ5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

spencevans wrote:
It is so hard to say because it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Wrangler pros:

Awsome on the rocks
Great articulation
Unbeatable aproach and departure angles
More durable front end and easier to modify

KJ pros:

Unbeatable in the sand
Awsome in the mud
Great in the snow
More enjoyable daily driver

Take it for what it's worth but the KJ is definatly stronger in many offroad areas that do not require massive amounts articulation and clearance.

Those are the reasons I chose a KJ. While it may be fun crawling over rocks, I just can't see using a daily driver for that. I can see, however, using it to go down trails where mud, snow, and sand would stop me.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pinecone59

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

05JeepKJ wrote:
FastTRX wrote:

Nicely put i cant agree more. Wheel what you have. Is all about having fun.

Exactly. Plus I like the quasi-retro look of the thing.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pinecone59