It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FrankenLift Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:23 pm 
LOST Member

Hey guys, need some expertise from those of you with the FankenLift.

Firstly the Ott front has to come out of my Jeep. It has definitely softened my factory shocks cause I'm getting too much bounce, especially at freeway speed. Hearing it's a front spring killer to so that must go also.
I just bought an RV to tow behind me and this soft suspension needs to go.
#1- My question is since Boulders Bars installs the OME spring on the Rancho strut, what spring rate do they use in their install ? Is there a choice, from soft to medium to heavy ?
I have a factory bumper with brushguard, since I will be towing a travel trailer with the weight distibuting hitch some of the load gets transfered to the front so a light spring doesn't fit my bill in my favor.
#2- Which brings me to my next question on the rear spring. Since right now I have the poly spacer and I want that out too. I just installed the Rancho shocks in the rear and love 'em. Big difference over the Doestch Shocks. Boulder Bars uses the OME spring but I hear so many great things about the SkyJacker spring. They even say on the site great articulation and towing ability for the SkyJacker. Since towing will be an issue I lean towards the SkyJacker for the rear... Any advice ?

Thanks Joe

245/75-16 Revos
Full Armor
Powertrax NoSlip
Magnaflow Exhaust
Way more on the Horizon

Post subject: Re: FrankenLift Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AmericanMetal wrote:
Hey guys, need some expertise from those of you with the FankenLift.

Firstly the Ott front has to come out of my Jeep. It has definitely softened my factory shocks cause I'm getting too much bounce, especially at freeway speed. Hearing it's a front spring killer to so that must go also.
I just bought an RV to tow behind me and this soft suspension needs to go.
#1- My question is since Boulders Bars installs the OME spring on the Rancho strut, what spring rate do they use in their install ? Is there a choice, from soft to medium to heavy ?
I have a factory bumper with brushguard, since I will be towing a travel trailer with the weight distibuting hitch some of the load gets transfered to the front so a light spring doesn't fit my bill in my favor.
#2- Which brings me to my next question on the rear spring. Since right now I have the poly spacer and I want that out too. I just installed the Rancho shocks in the rear and love 'em. Big difference over the Doestch Shocks. Boulder Bars uses the OME spring but I hear so many great things about the SkyJacker spring. They even say on the site great articulation and towing ability for the SkyJacker. Since towing will be an issue I lean towards the SkyJacker for the rear... Any advice ?

Thanks Joe

The Franken lift uses OME Heavy duty spring in the front. Not sure what rate they use for the rear. They use to use Skyjacker in the rear for a while if I remember correctly. Personally, I have the OME in the rear and like them better than the skyjacker. They are progressive and eliminate a little side to side swaying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AmericanMetal wrote:
what spring rate do they use in their install ? Is there a choice, from soft to medium to heavy ?

I think the typical set-up uses the heavy duty springs. When they assembled my struts though I had them use the medium load springs. I'd call Quinn and tell him what you're doing and get his recommendation.

AmericanMetal wrote:
Boulder Bars uses the OME spring but I hear so many great things about the SkyJacker spring. They even say on the site great articulation and towing ability for the SkyJacker. Since towing will be an issue I lean towards the SkyJacker for the rear... Any advice ?

The kit used to come with Skyjacker coils but I heard (I think on here) that All J was having supplier trouble so they switched to OME for the rear. Again, I think the standard set-up is the heavy duty springs, but I had them install the medium duty ones on my KJ. Quinn said if I had any problems we could swap them out for the heavy duty ones. They've worked great so far both on the pavement and off-road. Since you're towing a heavy trailer, you'd definately want to go with the heavy duty spings. I don't think there's any significant advantage w/ the Skyjacker springs vs. OME (except maybe the cool red color) 8)

245/75 MT/Rs & Rubicon wheels
plus a few other things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OME springs in the front; Skyjacker in the rear.
However, I've heard they might be changing to Skyjacker in the front due to problems with supply. I think they are currently testing replacement springs.

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:38 pm 

Calvin56 wrote:
However, I've heard they might be changing to Skyjacker in the front due to problems with supply. I think they are currently testing replacement springs.

This is backwards. They are switching from the rear SJ coils to OME. So it will be OME all the way around now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

how do you guys ever reach this guy quinn? i've tried calling them at least a dozen times, and no one answers? kinda pee's me off a tad....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

jelohead wrote:
how do you guys ever reach this guy quinn? i've tried calling them at least a dozen times, and no one answers? kinda pee's me off a tad....

What time of day? I've always had luck calling around 4PM CST, 2PM out west. Try calling around 5PM your time.
Later
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jelohead wrote:

I've never had a problem getting a hold of him. He seems to always be there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:04 am 
LOST Member

I've never had trouble getting someone. I have gotten an assistant everytime though, but they have always known what they were doing (or so it seemed).

http://www.thechucklesstart.com/car/
Never put PowerTrax NoSlip with a Manual KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My only Frankenlift question is: When is that thing gonna ship? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Skyjump136 wrote:
Calvin56 wrote:

This is backwards. They are switching from the rear SJ coils to OME. So it will be OME all the way around now.

I just got my Frankenlift about two weeks ago and it was OME all around. When I talked to Quinn it seemd they are going this route in the future due to supply issues.

Frankenlift,MOABS,Mopar Roof Basket, Pet Partition, Neoprene seat covers,Flowmaster Deltaflow 50,PIAA 580 series Fogs, Rusty's Gas Tank skid, Rock Lizard Skink Sliders (Soon to be installed diff cover and Monitor Front Bumper)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2056418

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When I ordered mine Quinn said he may be sending OME all round, but it ended up with Skyjackers in the rear. That was shipped Sept 1st, so I guess things may have changed now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

whoops! OME all around then? Or whatever is available at the time? Sounds good!

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875