It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:59 pm 
LOST Addict

OK I will chime in a couple of things here... (uh oh the Wilderness Survival Instructor is making an appearance)

As cool as most of this stuff is... it isn't really the most practical. The key to being able to handle any situation you may come across is knowing exactly what situations you may come across. For everyday situations and even most wheeling a simple rubbermaid with your warm clothes, recovery gear, some food, water, sunscreen, bug spray, etc is more than you will need and works great. This is assuming you have your spare fuel and whatnot.

Now let's assume a worst case... solo wheeling out in the middle of nowhere and you have catastrophic failure or run out of fuel. (injury we will deal with later)
Firestarters- there is always fuel in your line... do you know how to get it out? Your first aid kit should also contain cotton gauze and vaseline, put one on the other and it will burn slowly for a few minutes. Don't forget your car's battery.

Shelter- you should have a Jeep there team that up with a tarp and you have a perfect lean-to. (did you remember your string, band clamps, and/or zip ties?)

Clothing- should be self-explanatory

Food- a large jar of peanut butter has over 10,000 calories in it. You can live off of it for over a week if you need to.

Water- if you don't want to learn how to get clean water from the environment, make sure you bring at least a gallon. (you prepared for a hole in a radiator hose?) If you know what you are doing... you can pull all the water you would ever need with black trash bags in the middle of Moab.

Signaling- get a diving strobe...will go forever and are easy to spot (your hazards will work too but the battery has better uses). A person can only yell for help for about 12 hours before their voice gives out. You can blow a whistle for 3-4 days and it travels further. You can always burn your spare (deflate it first). I guarantee someone will show up if you start burning tires in the middle of nowhere.

Tools- multitasking is key here.. do you really need metric and SAE gear wrenches in there or will 2-3 adjustable crescent wrenches do the job? Vice grips, duct tape, JB weld (or JB Kwik)...etc. This is one area where some extras can certainly be worth it though.

OK my rant is done haha.... anyone wants specifics feel free to msg me.

(edit: it's worth mentioning that if you don't have at least a shovel and knife with you you deserve to be punched)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, but what if my shovel is all new and I don't want any scratches on it? :D

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

durangotang wrote:
OK I will chime in a couple of things here... (uh oh the Wilderness Survival Instructor is making an appearance)

As cool as most of this stuff is... it isn't really the most practical. The key to being able to handle any situation you may come across is knowing exactly what situations you may come across. For everyday situations and even most wheeling a simple rubbermaid with your warm clothes, recovery gear, some food, water, sunscreen, bug spray, etc is more than you will need and works great. This is assuming you have your spare fuel and whatnot.

Now let's assume a worst case... solo wheeling out in the middle of nowhere and you have catastrophic failure or run out of fuel. (injury we will deal with later)
Firestarters- there is always fuel in your line... do you know how to get it out? Your first aid kit should also contain cotton gauze and vaseline, put one on the other and it will burn slowly for a few minutes. Don't forget your car's battery.

Shelter- you should have a Jeep there team that up with a tarp and you have a perfect lean-to. (did you remember your string, band clamps, and/or zip ties?)

Clothing- should be self-explanatory

Food- a large jar of peanut butter has over 10,000 calories in it. You can live off of it for over a week if you need to.

Water- if you don't want to learn how to get clean water from the environment, make sure you bring at least a gallon. (you prepared for a hole in a radiator hose?) If you know what you are doing... you can pull all the water you would ever need with black trash bags in the middle of Moab.

Signaling- get a diving strobe...will go forever and are easy to spot (your hazards will work too but the battery has better uses). A person can only yell for help for about 12 hours before their voice gives out. You can blow a whistle for 3-4 days and it travels further. You can always burn your spare (deflate it first). I guarantee someone will show up if you start burning tires in the middle of nowhere.

Tools- multitasking is key here.. do you really need metric and SAE gear wrenches in there or will 2-3 adjustable crescent wrenches do the job? Vice grips, duct tape, JB weld (or JB Kwik)...etc. This is one area where some extras can certainly be worth it though.

OK my rant is done haha.... anyone wants specifics feel free to msg me.

(edit: it's worth mentioning that if you don't have at least a shovel and knife with you you deserve to be punched)

Advice well-taken! The wife and I have the Western Mountaineering goose down sleeping bags, Primus Yellowstone pack stove, Primus propane/butane fuel mixture for high altitude burning, Sierra Design meteor light two man tent, Snow Peak titanium cook set, PUR micro-water filter, and a two thermarests. Oh, by the way, I lived off peanut butter and jelly on a week long backpacking trip in the Pecos, Northern New Mexico, in which we stayed between 8,500- 13,103 feet the entire week. Fun times!

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
durangotang
OK I will chime in a couple of things here...

oops your post just popped up a few minutes later. Peanut butter is a great idea! I got food bars in the vehicle, daypack, and bike bag too. Water, 2 one-liters and 1 or 2 of the larger, handled waters. We sure carry a lot of stuff in the vehicle don't we? Fire extinguisher, camp shovel, Eastwing prybar, 3 ft pry bar, socket set, breaker bar or extra tire iron, Hi-Lift, serp belt, radiator hose, big knife, maps, raingear, maybe car camping gear like a thermarest, stove, and backpacking water filter. Packing all that stuff for Wednesday's departure.

EDIT
Quote:
Signaling- get a diving strobe...will go forever and are easy to spot

I musta gotten the cheap one, ACR C-Light, USCG approved. My two Planet Bike flashers are much more visible, and the Fenix T1 and L1D throw light further.

And Edit again,
I also carry a GPS, in part to geocache, but also to have the track available to retrace.

I also have various headlamps and the 200-something lumen 4 hour bike/helmet light. In almost all cases you really should stay with your vehicle, but if I had the proper hike-out gear and knew I could navigate the route, I'd take these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:11 am 
LOST Addict

Great list everyone, I have put some suggestions to good use already. Some came in handy on my last week's turkey hunt! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:15 am 
LOST Junkie

cell phone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:40 am 
I live here
I live here

Ms5490renegade wrote:
cell phone?

I don't think you will put your phone into the bag/container in the back of the vehicle.

I think your cell phone is like taking your wallet and keys with you in this day and age.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I stayed a few days in a campground at a national park that had a program about Lewis and Clark. They did, as a matter fact, carry charcoaled cotton cloth for fires. They had better use for the Vaseline because of the lack of women! :lol:<-sorry mods!

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So what would be a good "Final" list for a versitile run of the mill save your butt off-road/safety gear bag?

A list was started then everybody started throwing in their 2 cents and it might be nice to compile the list now.

I will start a new one:

1. A Bag

'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Also an old entry from Field and Stream

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/0,13355,1225788,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The survival bag is just like Murphy's law,it never fails the one thing you didn't put in is the one thing you need the most,or the only thing needed.You can't bring everything(though I sometimes try :lol: ) so just bring the bare essentials and hope you don't need anything else,but like stated before you will only need that one thing you didn't pack,I have pretty much given up on trying to do a "survival bag" and I just carry the very basics anymore.

1)Recovery strapes(2 just in case I break one)and 5 shackles
2)basic tool set(for me at least)
3)CO2 tank
4)Tire plug kit
5)Electric impact
6)2 rear u-joints
7)U/L raditaor hoses
8)Raditor cap
9)1 MRE
10)Extra clothes
11)Cell phone
12)Flash light w/extra batteries
13)Jumper cables
14)1st aid kit
15)Fire putter-outer(sorry can't spell the other word)
16)3qts ATF+4
17)Ratchet straps
18 )1 military issue wool blanket
19)Gloves
20)Big f$%^&*g knife
21)Always start with a full tank of gas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Starting with Troy's (I think that's your name) list:

(The bag/box goes without saying I would think) :wink:

1)Recovery straps(2 just in case I break one)and 5 shackles
2)basic tool set(for me at least)
3)CO2 tank w/ accessories
4)Tire plug kit
5)Electric impact
6)2 rear u-joints
7)U/L raditaor hoses
8)Raditor cap
9)1 MRE &/or 1 Jar o' Peanut Butter
10)Extra clothes
11)Cell phone
12)Flash light w/extra batteries
13)Jumper cables
14)1st aid kit w/ bug spray and sunscreen
15)Fire extinguisher
16)3qts ATF+4
17)Ratchet straps
18 )1 military issue wool blanket
19)Gloves
20)Big f$%^&*g knife / Multi Tool Knife
21)Full Tank o' Gas and Extra Fuel
22)Road Flares
23)GPS/Maps
24)Duct Tape
25)Raingear
26)Rags
27)Water & water purification system
28)Hi-Lift Jack
29)Axe
30)Shovel

Just copy and paste as needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:29 pm 
I live here
I live here

[quote="tjkj2002"]15)Fire putter-outer(sorry can't spell the other word)

You mean you can't spell "Sand?"

oh

wait

you mean Fire Extinguisher?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
15)Fire putter-outer(sorry can't spell the other word)

You mean you can't spell "Sand?"

oh

wait

you mean Fire Extinguisher?
HAHAHAHA :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:13 pm 

The real important question ins what flavor MRE is it?

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

daspes wrote:
The real important question ins what flavor MRE is it?
Beef stew,one of my favs :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MNKK wrote:
Tokyojoe wrote:
Non-lubed condoms....many uses other than mother-natures call of the wild.

Indeed...like balloons :lol:

:D

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:28 am 
I live here
I live here

Only one MRE?

Troy, keep this website in your favorites and handy. I use it all of the time.

http://dictionary.reference.com/

If you mispell it there, it will ask "Did you mean____?" so you can find the right word and correct spelling. I used to keep a real one next to my pc but it is waaayy too big with all my junk around it.

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:38 am 
LOST Addict

OK I'll add some stuff here as well I suppose...

This general list is a good idea just to get the juices flowing but three major things need to be addressed. If on is out and breaks down you have to address (in advance) you decision tree:

1. Stay and Play (fix the Jeep on site): may not be possible... but may also be your only feasible option if you are alone, far from anything, and on a DIFFICULT trail. This is also the only option that would allow one to progress as though nothing had happened.

2. Limp Home: do whatever it takes to get the vehicle rolling. This can include towing, pushing, or dragging and damage is a likely result. If someone is sick or injured this may be your only option. Also if you are aware of your mechanical abilities option 1 may not exist (i.e. not necessarily the time to bust out the Haynes manual and learn what you're doing)

3. Ditch the rig: This can be as simple as catching a ride back to town to get the parts necessary for #'s 1 or 2. It can also be a big decision should this be a worst-case scenario. (solo trip with family... 100 miles from anywhere... transmission puked a big pile of metal parts straight through the pan)

Every time you go out you should already know what your options are here. These should be your key factors in deciding what to bring.

There are certain basics I wouldn't drive down the highway without though.

1)Recovery strap
2)basic tool set (including knife)
3)wire strippers and electrical tape
4)5,000-10,000 calories of any sort
5)Extra warm clothes (includes boots, gloves, hats, etc)
6)Cell phone
7)Flash light w/extra batteries
8)Jumper cables
9)1st aid kit w/ bug spray and sunscreen
10)Fire extinguisher
11)spare fluids (specifics up to you)
12)Ratchet straps, bailing wire, parachute cord.... something like that
13 )Sleeping bag
14)Tarp
15)Big red atlas of whatever state you are in
16)compass
17)Road Flares
18)Duct Tape
19)Rain coat or poncho
20)roll of blue shop towels
21)Shovel
22)waterproof matches
23)water...amount up to you

Any additional items you bring should revolve around your situational decision about the feasibility of those 3 options listed above... for the sake of brevity I won't go into it all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This thread needs to be bumped. Great info. 8)

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next