It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 am 
LOST Addict

Sticky?

Yay or nay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
Sticky?

Yay or nay?

why not its great info

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
Sticky?

Yay or nay?

I put the link in the 09 Ouray Lost Safari section as well........................ I think it would be handy to have a list compiled for people to refer to.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

should put asprin and benedryl in that list as well, i personally can forego the bandaids, i'll just use the cuff of my tshirt, but my tshirt doesn't thin blood incase of stroke or heartattack, and doesn't slow down weird allergic reactions

uncle of mine had a little 10 pack of bayer in a metal slide open container that was all rusted in his tacklebox for years, had a heart attack while fishing and the docs said that 10 some year old bayer was the only reason he made it to the hospital *shrug*

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think I have yah all beat :) I have a real ammo can turned into a first aid kit, painted white big red cross on it. It was my moms when she was a medic :) filled with all kinds of neat stuff, including field dressing and smelling salts :) I also have a .50cal ammo can that is filled with survival stuff, as far as the contents, nothing not listed above. For those that travel with the woman folk though, make sure you keep some feminin products and TP in the survival kit, last thing you want is a woman at that time of the month, and nothing to use :roll: Lets end that topic there but, nobody wants to be there lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 am 
LOST Member

I think alot of people in the world outside of wheeling would be surprised what can be accomplished/fixed/repaired with a simple toolkit consisting of:

duct tape
bailing wire
needle nose pliers
2 cresent wrenches
vise grips

Once was with a group of Jeeps and just one Toyota FJ when the Yota spit his rear ujoint, he had a spare. But later when he also blew his front joint, he was out of luck as the cross was sheared. With just one winch between the 5 of us, it started becoming an all day event getting him over the tough stuff and didn't want to fry a good Warn, so we took his bad joint that was usable as a trail fix (he sure was glad I suggested to keep as a momento) that still had 2 good bearing cups. we took a couple sockets, used them for bearing cups on the other two journals used the bailing wire as an impromptu yoke u-bolt strap for both sides and duct taped the heck out of the joint/yoke as it was real wobbly of course. and he was able to drive out the rest of the trail in 4wd and never needed the winch again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i've fixed gas tank punctures with ivory soap before

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Here is a few more

Water Boxes, 8.45 oz. w/Straw - 5 Year Shelf Life
Thermal Blankets - to retain body heat
Tissue Packs
Water Purification Tablets - EPA approved to eliminate bacteria, viruses and cysts in 40 liters (quarts) of contaminated water
Water Bag, 2 gallon capacity for water purification
Dust Masks - to prevent dust inhalation
Lightsticks, 12 hour - provides bright green light in a snap
Pair Vinyl Gloves - (in first aid kit) Whistle - used for attracting rescuers
AM/FM Radio, LED Flashlight/Strobe, Siren and Cell Phone Charger with 3-Way Power (Solar, Hand Crank Generator or DC)
Toilet Bags - for use in 5 gallon container as emergency lavatory
Pair Work Gloves - heavy duty with leather palm
Shakelight, Nightstar CS - 2 minutes of shaking = 20+ minutes of continuous light
(2) 5 Gallon plastic buckets, air and water-tight - easy to store

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

Tokyojoe wrote:
Ms5490renegade wrote:
cell phone?

I don't think you will put your phone into the bag/container in the back of the vehicle.

I think your cell phone is like taking your wallet and keys with you in this day and age.

Actually, a fact most people forget.... ANY phone that can still power on and receive signal (service not needed, just signal) CAN and WILL be able to dial 911. All those old cell phones you have? Keep them and a portable charger of any kind in your vehicle. I have 3 old ones in mine, with a hand-sized solar charger (Made by SOLIO). You can use these (phones) to give out if you have a group that has to spread out, or use one at a time if you must leave the vehicle.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
http://www.jeepcommander.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

anyone wanna buy a coase of mre's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2mopar_diesels wrote:
I think alot of people in the world outside of wheeling would be surprised what can be accomplished/fixed/repaired with a simple toolkit consisting of:

duct tape
bailing wire
needle nose pliers
2 cresent wrenches
vise grips

Once was with a group of Jeeps and just one Toyota FJ when the Yota spit his rear ujoint, he had a spare. But later when he also blew his front joint, he was out of luck as the cross was sheared. With just one winch between the 5 of us, it started becoming an all day event getting him over the tough stuff and didn't want to fry a good Warn, so we took his bad joint that was usable as a trail fix (he sure was glad I suggested to keep as a momento) that still had 2 good bearing cups. we took a couple sockets, used them for bearing cups on the other two journals used the bailing wire as an impromptu yoke u-bolt strap for both sides and duct taped the heck out of the joint/yoke as it was real wobbly of course. and he was able to drive out the rest of the trail in 4wd and never needed the winch again.

I love the story. And I can tell you're a southern boy when all you need is bailing wire and duct tape (Alabama chrome) to fix a blown u-joint. :wink: I'm a fan of bailing wire myself as I stated in my blog about '06 lift helpful hints. When you ain't got much you learn to improvise. :)

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:35 am 
LOST Junkie

ObiHann wrote:
I think I have yah all beat :) I have a real ammo can turned into a first aid kit, painted white big red cross on it. It was my moms when she was a medic :) filled with all kinds of neat stuff, including field dressing and smelling salts :) I also have a .50cal ammo can that is filled with survival stuff, as far as the contents, nothing not listed above. For those that travel with the woman folk though, make sure you keep some feminin products and TP in the survival kit, last thing you want is a woman at that time of the month, and nothing to use :roll: Lets end that topic there but, nobody wants to be there lol.

I think it's a great idea to use a water tight ammo can clearly marked for First Aid. I have one in my garage that I think I'll dig out and paint up.

I've been thinking of getting some First Aid training for myself. You have to know how to use all the stuff in the kit right? Also I think it's wise to have somebody designated as the "Medic" on any run, just like the guy with the only working fire extinguisher should be called the "Fireman".

Besides the various tool bags, spare parts & fluids that I carry in the back of my Jeep I always carry a can of fly spray, maybe sunblock and water. Cold beer is nice on a hot day but can make to dehydrated and stupid :?

And lastly, I've actually heard of people actually stocking tampons in their toolbox next to the wrenches. It's useful to dry out engine cylinders after a really deep water crossing :lol:, at least that's what they've told me.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject: Re: offroad safety/gear bag
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Tampons are also (obviously) good to stop massive blood flow, wrestling coach had my sister go buy several boxes for bloody noses :lol:
and cotton balls that have normal candle wax dribbled on them are excellent fire starters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Crazy glue is great at closing wounds...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:42 am 
LOST Newbie

I had seen gps/maps a few times in this thread. I guess I'll trow my two cents in and say a gps does not replace a map and compass. Honestly I would go as far as to say the gps is not necessary if you have your map and compass and of course know how to use it. I have been failed many times by gps whether it is batteries, inaccuracy, or my general frustaration and lack of knowlege of all the features of the gps. I have never been failed by a map and compass.
Get yourself a few 15min USGS topo maps of the area you will be ($5-$15 each) and a good compass ($35-$75) or spend $300+ for a good gps that will eventually fail. The one good thing a GPS can do for you then is give you an estimated UTM to put your self on the map, or use common sense and you will be just as accurate with out the gps.
/end rant/
Sorry sometimes I see stuff like this and I just bothers me.

05 KJ Sport 4x4 3.7L 6 Speed Black w/ 35k/mi: (Budget Project) 2.5 Daystar, 245/70/r16 Grabber AT2s, 2x4 crossbars; next to install: 1.5" spacers, in channel window visors; Next to come: front reciever, fog lights, audio, suggestions (please)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:49 pm 
LOST Member

Something i didnt see mentioned earlier:

Flare gun and 3-6 Flares

They can be seen for miles and will easily clear the tree line in ANY forest.

4.10s, True Tracs Front & Rear
245/75/16 BFG Mud Terrain KM2's on MOABs
Renegade Lightbar
ARB Bumper + Warn M8000
--
'84 CJ-7, 4.56s, Yukon Shafts, ARBs F&R, 4.5" BDS, 33x10.5r15, M8000.
--
'13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 6.0L -- Stock and staying that way!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Two things I would suggest adding:

Black plastic rubber cement. Sticks to about anything and can be used to patch all sorts of hoses, especially when combined with nylon or other heavy cloth. Very useful stuff.

Celox, a newer version of Quikclot, which works even with people on anticoagulants, or in cold weather.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sukpad89 wrote:
I had seen gps/maps a few times in this thread. I guess I'll trow my two cents in and say a gps does not replace a map and compass. Honestly I would go as far as to say the gps is not necessary if you have your map and compass and of course know how to use it.

As an old Scout leader I agree that a map and compass are essential gear, however an accurate GPS unit can help. When at Cold Creek/Windrock Mtn. during ECS '09 we used the GPS coordinates along with the GPS map sold there to get out one evening when unsure of our location. As we say in Scouts..."you're not lost if you know where you're going"....but you need to know where you are in order to know which way to go. A good GPS unit and accurate coordinate map can really help show where you are.

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jhblackwell wrote:
Sukpad89 wrote:
I had seen gps/maps a few times in this thread. I guess I'll trow my two cents in and say a gps does not replace a map and compass. Honestly I would go as far as to say the gps is not necessary if you have your map and compass and of course know how to use it.

As an old Scout leader I agree that a map and compass are essential gear, however an accurate GPS unit can help. When at Cold Creek/Windrock Mtn. during ECS '09 we used the GPS coordinates along with the GPS map sold there to get out one evening when unsure of our location. As we say in Scouts..."you're not lost if you know where you're going"....but you need to know where you are in order to know which way to go. A good GPS unit and accurate coordinate map can really help show where you are.

I think the moral of the story is to not rely on an electronic device. They can fail for multiple reasons.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:20 am 
LOST Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but since it is sticky I will add to it.

What about some JBweld. I put a tear in my in the transmission pan of my truck once and patched it with that right there in the middle of no where. Put in a what fluid I had and made it home. You can patch a lot of things with JBweld and duct tape.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next