It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: offroad safety/gear bag
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:31 pm 
LOST Addict

I have an emergency gear bag already in place on my jeep but I am looking to add to it. Here is what I have so far:
First Aid Kit
Road Flares
Emergency Food
Blankets
Sweatshirts
GPS
Tow Strap
Duct Tape
Gloves
Ponchos
Multi Tool Knife
Rags

And then of course I always take my jack, axe, shovel, fuel, water, flashlight, and fire extinguisher. Is there anything I am missing? Any suggestions? I figure this might turn out to be a good resource for everyone on here. Unless of course this info exists on here already, and if so please point me in the right direction. :wink:

Last edited by Inc on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:40 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

extra batteries for anything that uses them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:53 pm 
LOST Member

needle nose pliers with wire cutters, small roll of electrical wire, small crescent wrench, med crescent wrench and a little box of extra fuses.

Warn 4x Floods
ARB bumper
TeraFlex extended front bumpstops
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Bosch Size 86 battery
Jeepin by Al's 4.5 UC Arms
Kryptonite Differential Cover
JBA Bolt on KJ Tri-Angulated 4 Link

Post subject: Kit
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not sure what your first aid kit has in it, but I would include some bug repellent and sun screen. I also would recommend super glue, or medical glue for closing wounds (The medical glue is more flexible than super glue, but sting like hell). A good kit should have some Advil (or it generic form) and Benedryl (or another antihistamine for allergic reactions).

I carry one of those self charging LED flashlights as well. Just give it a shake, and its good for about 30 minutes.

Last edited by VTNomad on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:02 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

You have a good start. I carry barn-boots in my gear bag too. I also make sure I always have water in there.

But for the ultimate...Four pages of tools for the trail discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This and the other link are great. I am wondering if there is any room left for passengers after all that stuff. I know it is hopefully NOT needed but good to have just in case.

Another idea is when a trail run is being planned, eveybody chime in on this list and make sure the WHOLE supply list is carried in part by everybody on the run. That way no one person has all the crap for others to depend on and all possible needs are planned for as well as making sure the load is distributed through out the trail runners.

After all that is why we Trail Ride with others. It is safer and more fun.

We always see a list of people going on these trail runs, why not add your name to the list and what you can bring to add to the list.

Just a thought.

'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That would be a great thing to do Woody. Instead of a tractor trailer going along spread out the stuff. I read on list, on here I think, there was a ton of stuff that people were suggesting. All good stuff to take but what a list! A good supply of tools would be nice but look at the weight.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Great idea. Spread the load out. I also tend to package stuff like this into "groups". One group stays in the vehicle at all times, and other groups can be added when needed.

I also do this with 72 hour kit. Each group of stuff goes in a trash bag. All the trash bags fit into my back pack. When I need the kit-- I can quickly throw the bags out I don't need. Since I plan to evacuate by Jeep-- the default plan is to leave all the bags in the kit. Of course that is 75-85 pounds. If I had to hump it, that pack would get lighter in a hurry.

BTW the last page of the car domain link in my sig has the Jeep recovery gear I keep in the vehicle.

Last edited by Pablo on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:28 pm 
I live here
I live here

Get some rope. 100-200' of 550 cord is perfect. Not for towing, but many other applications.

Glow sticks with 2-3 different colors.

I keep a pocket mask with me at all times. It's the CPR Instructor, in me.

My first aid kit and pocket mask fit in that little cargo pocket in the rear.

Depending on where you live, a snake bite kit?

water purifier tablets (in case you run out of fresh clean water)

water-tight tube of matches and lighter...or carry flint and dry wood sticks (hahaha)

Take your prescription meds with you in a water-tight container.

Non-lubed condoms....many uses other than mother-natures call of the wild.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:48 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

Tokyojoe wrote:
water-tight tube of matches and lighter...or carry flint and dry wood sticks (hahaha)

You laugh, but I always have a magnesium block and flint in my Jeep. Tinder is rather easy to come by even during heavy rains or snow.

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Great ideas everybody. I will definitely be supplementing my pack. Keep em coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:04 am 
Bush Hunter

Tokyojoe wrote:
Non-lubed condoms....many uses other than mother-natures call of the wild.

Indeed...like balloons :lol:

Curt class III/IV hitch, and wireing
O.K. Offroad steel reciever shackle
Zune 80 gig for the tunes,
(Do Jeep slush mats count?)
Life size Amstaff terrier bobble head in rear seat :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is an idea: get a metal box (breath mints), cut up some small chunks of an old T-shirt and put in the box. Make a fire and put the box in the fire. Let it cook awhile. Take the box out and let it cool. The cloth in the box is now like charcoal and will burn with just one or 2 sparks hitting it. The t-shirt has to be a cotton one, or any all cotton cloth. You can fit a lot of layers of cloth in the box and it usually only takes 1 piece to start a fire.

Believe it or not this is what Lewis and Clark used when they had their little jaunt across the USA.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:19 am 
Bush Hunter

Fulltimer wrote:
Believe it or not this is what Lewis and Clark used when they had their little jaunt across the USA.

Terry

lol, im picturing lewis cutting up an " I'm with stupid" t- shirt.
sorry. Just something in my odd world. Thought I would share it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:19 am 
I live here
I live here

Lewis and Clark had Altoids?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:31 am 
Bush Hunter

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm assuming that you already have tire plugs or a tire repair kit, on board air, and jumper cables.

In addition to your kit, I like to bring lots of extra water and sleeping gear incase if I need to stay overnight.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:54 am 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer wrote:
Here is an idea: get a metal box (breath mints), cut up some small chunks of an old T-shirt and put in the box. Make a fire and put the box in the fire. Let it cook awhile. Take the box out and let it cool. The cloth in the box is now like charcoal and will burn with just one or 2 sparks hitting it. The t-shirt has to be a cotton one, or any all cotton cloth. You can fit a lot of layers of cloth in the box and it usually only takes 1 piece to start a fire.

Terry
I can't vouch for Lewis and Clark bringing it, but I have heard that this works really well. I have never tried it, but I saw some survival show a long time ago where the dude did this and the cotton lit up like it had gasoline on it. Pretty cool idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

incubusmike wrote:
Fulltimer wrote:

Terry
I can't vouch for Lewis and Clark bringing it, but I have heard that this works really well. I have never tried it, but I saw some survival show a long time ago where the dude did this and the cotton lit up like it had gasoline on it. Pretty cool idea.

Interesting, I will have to try this.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Getting ready for the Moab trip. Consolidating my various kits, so I find this thread interesting. I have different applications, and tend to cannibalize one kit for another. Glovebox first aid kit, daypack first aid kit, mountain bike crash and burn kit, KJ or Cessna cabin survival kit, general backpacking gear, 72 hour bug out bag. I have dupes of some contents (knives, compasses) to reduce emptying out a ready kit.

My survival kit, I'm trying to shove into a small lexan Pelican box or lexan Nalgene bottle, figuring I'd actually grab it for the vehicle, or daypack, or flight bag, or bug out. Lexan for impact and fire resistance, and for water carrying ability. Contents:

Small knife, Leatherman Squirt, rescue whistle, storm matches (in Coglin safe), keychain flint, Esbit solid fuel, signal mirror (scuba, not cheap <10mile), Photon keychain light, small Surefire or Fenix flashlight (80 lumens or better), AA or 123 lithium batts, orienteering or button compass, P2? can opener, water tablets, bandages and absorbant pad, nose coat sunscreen, ski balaclava (thin, found it years ago), Clifshot or Gu energy gel, ziplock, rerolled duct tape.

Next come the things that bulk out a survival kit too much, and these will go in a 50 cal ammo can: mylar space blanket, Hefty bags, poncho, 550 mil cord, hand saw (for pine boughs), Maglite (D batts stored removed), socks, ski hat, gloves, regular Leatherman tool, and what not.

That charcoal in a tin is a cool idea. Just last night Les Stroud the Surviorman did something similar in the plane crash in Labrador episode.

What else? Offroad gear is in a Rubbermaid Action packer: recovery strap, shackle, small tool kit, tire kit, air hose, fuses and brake bulbs, bailing wire, duct tape, tarp, flares, jumper cables.