It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stalling Issue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey everybody,
Recently had my 02 kj with the 3.7l V6 (122k miles) stall out at a red light yesterday. Recent maintenance I did was an oil change, spark plugs, coil packs, sea foam treatment through the throttle body and a bottle of cataclean for a catalytic converter below threshold code which cleared instantly :BANANA: all done within 2 months. There was some shaking right before the stall and the radio still had power so I am doing some research which seems to point at either the fuel filter or the IAC. My battery is about a year old along with an alternator installed 6 months ago and the RPMs stay within normal range at idle and accelerating. Also want to mention I have a starting issue from time to time where it will take 2 turns to crank over, not sure if its related. This vehicle was purchased pre-owned so I am unaware of the maintenance history. Any input much apreciated Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Stalling Issue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:12 pm 
LOST Addict

What you describe sounds like a bad EGR valve.
Could also be the IAC or a vacuum problem.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the top 2 things that cause stoplight knockoff's

are weak batteries )but they generally dont shake when they knock off)(put it on a trickle charger for a few hrs and see if it does it again for 6 months)

and throttle position sensors

if the tps is developing a dead spot in the idle to 10% throttle range, 90% of the time it will never throw a code

, The IAC on the other hand, generally will, and generally dont cause a shake, but an erratic idle
there's also half a dozen+ codes for EGR and Vac leaks which will pop up even when there's not a significant problem, so fairly unlikely on the EGR issue

the shaking on the other hand is also relevant to a failing TPS - ive got one in my floor board that was randomly knocking off, and i ignored it for about a month. and it got to where i could hold the throttle at 2300 or less rpm in park and it would every so often drop about 500 rpm like the spark or fuel was turned off and shake a few times and then go back up to 2300

if i didnt hold the idle up , it would give a shake and shimmy the rpms would drop and then and knock off

driving down the road because the throttle was generally over 25%, i never noticed it hickup except once and i was conscious that my foot was barely on the gas.

the fuel filter on our vehicles is pretty large and generally isn't prone to causing problems unless you've been pouring fuel from gas cans in the vehicle, i think ive seen one actually legitly get clogged and cause a problem pre-200,000 miles

if it was mine, and last month/week, symptomatically it was (for the 2nd+ time in 175kmi) i'd start with a throttle position sensor and a trickle charge just to give the battery some maintenance and see where that leaves you - keep your old sensor, if the problem sticks around you'll have a spare i suppose (thus why its in my floorboard) but the problem went away entirely so im confident that was the issue

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

No EGR on a 3.7L gasser. After the battery check, I'd try cleaning the IAC. Then go to the TPS. When my TPS went I got some really weird stuff when accelerating. Idle didn't seem to bad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
the top 2 things that cause stoplight knockoff's

are weak batteries )but they generally dont shake when they knock off)(put it on a trickle charger for a few hrs and see if it does it again for 6 months)

and throttle position sensors

if the tps is developing a dead spot in the idle to 10% throttle range, 90% of the time it will never throw a code

, The IAC on the other hand, generally will, and generally dont cause a shake, but an erratic idle
there's also half a dozen+ codes for EGR and Vac leaks which will pop up even when there's not a significant problem, so fairly unlikely on the EGR issue

the shaking on the other hand is also relevant to a failing TPS - ive got one in my floor board that was randomly knocking off, and i ignored it for about a month. and it got to where i could hold the throttle at 2300 or less rpm in park and it would every so often drop about 500 rpm like the spark or fuel was turned off and shake a few times and then go back up to 2300

if i didnt hold the idle up , it would give a shake and shimmy the rpms would drop and then and knock off

driving down the road because the throttle was generally over 25%, i never noticed it hickup except once and i was conscious that my foot was barely on the gas.

the fuel filter on our vehicles is pretty large and generally isn't prone to causing problems unless you've been pouring fuel from gas cans in the vehicle, i think ive seen one actually legitly get clogged and cause a problem pre-200,000 miles

if it was mine, and last month/week, symptomatically it was (for the 2nd+ time in 175kmi) i'd start with a throttle position sensor and a trickle charge just to give the battery some maintenance and see where that leaves you - keep your old sensor, if the problem sticks around you'll have a spare i suppose (thus why its in my floorboard) but the problem went away entirely so im confident that was the issue

-Thanks for the advice, now I was going by what mf gf was telling me when the stall happened to her while driving. While I was driving the kj and came to a stop the RPMs dipped below 500 and it felt like the engine wanted to stall but didn't. I engaged neutral coming to the next stop and nothing happened at all. My part time light is on while in 2 wheel drive which I came to search and find it my was a faulty tps. The part time light has been on in 2wd since I purchased the vehicle 2 years ago. When i engage 4x4 the part time light shuts off. However you think that may be a possibility to my issue? I also attempted to take off the iac to clean but could not loosen the hardware even with alittle wd.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here's a good IAC thread: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/idle-a ... ews-44826/

I like the tip in post 8 or 9 about turning the steering wheel and seeing if the idle changes.

The transfer case position sensor is not going to affect idle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

usually need a 1/4" ratchet instead of a bit driver to get the IAC or TPS bolts out, theyve usually got some thread sealant on them

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 am 
LOST Newbie

02blue wrote:
Here's a good IAC thread: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/idle-a ... ews-44826/

I like the tip in post 8 or 9 about turning the steering wheel and seeing if the idle changes.

The transfer case position sensor is not going to affect idle.

-Thank you for the suggested post, as I checked it myself and found that suggestion - my RPMs do raise when the steering wheel is turned at operating temp (which I thought was weird at first since my other vehicles did not do that) So I can eliminate the IAC and TPS from my checklist? I will check the transmission fluid level and post an update.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quick update on this issue regarding stalling and the transmission fluid level which seems to be good. Ran the vehicle for at least thirty minutes, pulled into a parking lot and shifted into neutral before checking the dip stick. I found out my symptoms are pointing to a crank shaft position sensor which involves stalling at low speeds, hard to start vehicle and increase in fuel consumption. Are these hard to replace? Maybe my cat needs to be replaced after all...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

BLUEKJ02 wrote:
Quick update on this issue regarding stalling and the transmission fluid level which seems to be good. Ran the vehicle for at least thirty minutes, pulled into a parking lot and shifted into neutral before checking the dip stick. I found out my symptoms are pointing to a crank shaft position sensor which involves stalling at low speeds, hard to start vehicle and increase in fuel consumption. Are these hard to replace? Maybe my cat needs to be replaced after all...

Sounds like a good possibility. They shouldn't be hard to replace, however, the spot where they are inserted into the bedplate often gets gunked up and this makes them a bear to remove. I recently installed a crank kit in my 02 and changed the crank sensor while I had the engine apart. I had to drive the old one out with a hammer from the inside. I then had to sand the opening to get the new one in. I would soak the sensor area with penetrating oil a few times before trying to remove.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:09 am 
LOST Newbie

Well I pulled a newbie mistake and did not read the trans fluid level correctly. Checked the level in my driveway at a slight incline, should of been check on level ground. Anyway got underneath and part of the seal had ripped off on the side of the transmission pan. Added about 4 quarts of ATF+4 to get me through the week. Will be ordering new pan, filter and sealant. As for anyone with similar issues-Check your fluid correctly! Luckily saved mine in time :-)r