It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: True world reliability?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi y'all!

Contrary to the masses I always liked the look of the Liberty, just like you, hence why we're here right! So I'm looking at finally getting one and been doing a lot of online research,
and is doesn't look so good...
That's why I thought to ask about it here, even though it will be biased some:

How reliable are the first gen Liberty really!?

Talked with a autoshop guy I know and trust (I worked as a mechanic myself for many years, never on these Jeeps though, and don't have space at home to do major work either, so that's why he'll be 'my go to guy' for working on the eventual rig) and he said he personally seen quite a few engine issues (on the V6) on the first model years, but the latter, facelifted ones been good.

Post subject: Re: True world reliability?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:39 pm 
LOST Member

IMO... get a stick-shift one for reliability. A dead auto trans, or an engine cooked from the extra heat it pumps into the often neglected cooling system, are probably the two leading factors that send KJs to scrap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:20 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I like them ( only 02-05 s ) but have 3 , 03 , 04 I bought new and a 05 ) The 03 and 05 bought from original owners with all service records and low miles
I don't care for the 06-07s and all the " extras " they put on them.
But great vehicles overall as long as maintenance has been kept up

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I bought mine new from the dealer with 8 miles on it. 15 years and 130K miles later, I've had no significant issues. I follow the maintenance recommendations from my service manuals. I've switched all the oils to synthetics and its over kill, but I drain/fill the coolant every 2 years.

the only part that seems to fail on me routinely is the crank position sensor. The original one lasted 70K and the second only 35K. Its cheap to replace, easy to diagnose and just as easy to change. Outside of that, I'm a happy customer.

Original Owner, 2003 Sport, JBA Coil Overs with FOX remote reservoir shocks, JBA's 4.5 UCA's, Skid Row/Jeep armor, Ruff Stuff rear diff cover, K&N cold air intake kit, Magna Flow exhaust, Iron Rock Off-road rear UCA, Satellite Radio, 03 GC EVIC.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys for the info!
Always good to know. However I got given a deal on a -97 XJ Cherokee the other day that I can't really turn down, and they do as we all know have a reputation to be very durable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:10 pm 

Demontweaks wrote:
Thanks guys for the info!
Always good to know. However I got given a deal on a -97 XJ Cherokee the other day that I can't really turn down, and they do as we all know have a reputation to be very durable.

Had 3 XJs all bought new and ran for miles and miles, but I'd still take a KJ now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:16 pm 
LOST Member

Pick up an 05-06 kj crd, best mileage, best tranny, best longevity, best power... Ect... I have 5 in the family all with the crd, my wife has about 250k on hers. As a profesional mechanic I can tell you the 3.7 is a junky old mercedes design they shoved on us during the buyout in 99 along with the 4.7 and 2.7, all crap, the 45 in the early kjs were decent but the 42 trans was WEAK... In Chrysler trans speak, the first number is gears and the second is strength so the early was a 4 speed 5 strength but the latter was a 4 speed 2 strength. If you plan to tow anything also get the diesel, I have towed 5 last year over snowqualimie pass with mine and still got 22mpg on those trips... I pick and sell the diesels cause it's hard enough to find a good diesel mechanic let alone one who knows anything about the kj crd... I guess I might be biased though being a diesel mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:26 pm 
LOST Member

Demontweaks wrote:
Hi y'all!

Contrary to the masses I always liked the look of the Liberty, just like you, hence why we're here right! So I'm looking at finally getting one and been doing a lot of online research,

Talked with a autoshop guy I know and trust (I worked as a mechanic myself for many years, never on these Jeeps though, and don't have space at home to do major work either, so that's why he'll be 'my go to guy' for working on the eventual rig) and he said he personally seen quite a few engine issues (on the V6) on the first model years, but the latter, facelifted ones been good.

My66dodge wrote:
Pick up an 05-06 kj crd, best mileage, best tranny, best longevity, best power... Ect... I have 5 in the family all with the crd, my wife has about 250k on hers. As a profesional mechanic I can tell you the 3.7 is a junky old mercedes design they shoved on us during the buyout in 99 along with the 4.7 and 2.7, all crap, the 45 in the early kjs were decent but the 42 trans was WEAK... In Chrysler trans speak, the first number is gears and the second is strength so the early was a 4 speed 5 strength but the latter was a 4 speed 2 strength. If you plan to tow anything also get the diesel, I have towed 5 last year over snowqualimie pass with mine and still got 22mpg on those trips... I pick and sell the diesels cause it's hard enough to find a good diesel mechanic let alone one who knows anything about the kj crd... I guess I might be biased though being a diesel mechanic

I'm not going to try to drive the OP in one direction or another, here. I think the KJ is a unique and relatively affordable SUV whether you go gas or diesel...with a few caveats. My main concern with suggesting that someone buy a CRD is EXACTLY what I've highlighted above. If you do not have the ability to work on it yourself and are relying on a mechanic, it will bankrupt you in SHORT ORDER. These are not your Grandpa's diesel and, while not the most advanced electronically controlled vehicles by any means, have certain gremlins that will have you tearing your hair out if you (AKA, your mechanic) don't know what you are doing. Starting with a CRD previously owned or flipped by a LostJeeps member like Geordi or MountainMan will take most of that uncertainty out of the equation, at least for a significant amount of time and/or mileage. I'm not saying do it or don't do it...I'm saying enter into a relationship with a CRD with eyes WIDE open! It's like dating a supermodel, so much fun until they are in a bad mood, then its nothing but abuse until you're emotionally broken to the core! :-)r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:06 pm 

Demontweaks wrote:
Hi y'all!

If your considering a diesel, read this thread first before buying:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85960
As for gassers, body and suspension issues are the same just different issues with the V6 gas engine. :(
But if you are not going to do your own mechanic work, hope you got plenty of $ in the bank....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:28 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
But if you are not going to do your own mechanic work, hope you got plenty of $ in the bank....

That applies to everything. The fact is any KJ is now at least 12yo. This day and age of shops charging out $2000 brake jobs... you have to do some things yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:21 pm 

u2slow wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

That applies to everything. The fact is any KJ is now at least 12yo. This day and age of shops charging out $2000 brake jobs... you have to do some things yourself.

To some degree yes, but my statement is especially true on the very unique Jeep Liberty CRD with some of its quirky and sometimes quite expensive problems and necessary upgrades to make it reliable. :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve