It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lift for $500.00
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:40 am 
LOST Member

I have 5 bills to spend for a lift. I'm leaning towards Rustys suspension lift. However I keep reading about all the rear shock issues. Can I purchase the lift without the rear shocks? Then I'll just buy the Ranchos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:33 pm 

Just tell Rusty you want to upgrade the rear shocks that come with the lift. He'll let you do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:17 pm 
LOST Member

Does he upgrade to the Ranchos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:00 pm 

Not sure. You can probably upgrade to anything he sells on his site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:22 pm 
LOST Member

How much for frankenlift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

alot more then the 5 bills you want to spend LOL. Its about 900 right guys?

~JUD :twisted:

Post subject: use fender washers.....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

this recurring bellyaching about the rear shocks on the rusty's lift is overstated in my opinion....I have the rusty's coil lift for over a year now....I've been off-road with it several times....went to moab last year and went everywhere the frankenlift guys went....

the replacement shocks for the rear that come with the rustys kit use polyurethane bushings in the shock eyes....there's a metal sleeve that slips into the center of the bushing for the shock bolts....the upper frame mount for the rear is a little wider than the the poly bushing.....at the time, it never occured to me that this was a defect or inferior product....to me, it was just an experience in modifying the jeep and the solution was very simple....fender washers are flat washers with a larger outside diameter for any given inside diameter (bolt size)....they cost pennies a piece at a hardware store.....the outside diameter of the washer fully covered the diameter of the bushing.....I don't recall the washer size that fits the shock bolt but I just put a couple on either side of the poly bushing and tightened the bolt down....I have had no issues with this "fix"....no noise....no loosening over time....cost me maybe $1 for a handfull of washers, if that....perhaps people who have not been satisfied, tried to use a washer that didn't adequately cover the inside and outside dimensions...

I would not disagree that the more expensive frankenlift is the prefered product.....it has been developed and used by the guys who lead this forum....and the vendor (all-j products) steps forward and supports this forum with advertising.....I've purchased his boulderbars and skid and I purchased a front locker from him....I would have spent the extra money for the frankenlift but it wasn't available to the general public when I came to this forum to learn....

some have said that it is difficult to contact rusty or that he is slow to deliver....I believe that may be true but I was lucky to speak to him on several different phone calls and he was very friendly....I've purchased a few different things from him and I alway received the product promptly.....he doesn't include instructions with the lift kit....he expects you to know how to install it yourself.....I don't know much more than what I have personal experience with....I found all the "help" I needed by looking and reading on the internet....I had no problems installing the rusty's 2 1/2" coil spring lift kit and so far, I've had no problems with it.....

lifting the liberty was one of the first things I did.....I recommend that everyone consider it.....it allows for a slightly larger tire fit which then gives an improved differential clearance....yes, it's only a few inches and doesn't compare to the options available for wranglers and xj's....but with skids and boulderbars you'll be pretty much state-of-the-art....

'98 TJ sport gunmetal blue
33's with modifications to make them fit....still need a few more things....

first jeep....
'04 liberty sport 4x4 khaki
modified as recommended by L.O.S.T.....major fun on vacation....

L.O.S.T. (in fla.) #000496

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:05 pm 
I live here
I live here

What Elvis....err......Steve said.......he was an animal (little Teddy Bear?) out at Moab. hahaha

For each complaint about a vendor/product, there are many more people that have been happy and very satisfied with their service and product.

I for one have Rusty's lift and have not had any problems. I actually erred and used two washers on the front strut mountings so I didn't put the exact amount of washers on the rear but have not had any problems.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:32 pm 

Liberator84 wrote:
alot more then the 5 bills you want to spend LOL. Its about 900 right guys?

~JUD :twisted:

Nope. $775 Just click the banner ad at the top of the page. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have the OME HD. I bought it from All-J and I really like it. I'd go with the OME HD or the Frankenlift, but that's just me. I bought the OME HD with Ranchos and pre-assembled struts for $650. The pre-assembled struts allowed me to take out the old and put in the new myself.

L.O.S.T. #DA050656
Republica de Tejas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Jeepmed,
you could just get Rusty's coils front and rear and Al J's ranchos and a rear bump stop. Since you have an 05 just use your front struts.

https://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=sus_kj_par
http://www.boulderbars.com/kjproducts.htm

Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:23 am 
LOST Member

KJ04 wrote:
Jeepmed,
you could just get Rusty's coils front and rear and Al J's ranchos and a rear bump stop. Since you have an 05 just use your front struts.

https://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=sus_kj_par
http://www.boulderbars.com/kjproducts.htm

Looked at the coils. It says 2". Are these the same coils used on the full lift?