All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Fouros wrote:
my vote is the stauns

easy to set , easy to use

I agree!
The Stauns are always a safe bet. The ARB E-Z Tire Deflator is a great way to go as well, but you will have to air down one tire at a time when using that deflator.
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index. ... tail&p=408

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:02 pm 
LOST Addict

yea that ARB defaltor looks identical to my Currie one lol, i bet its the same thing just marked ARB instead of Currie on the gauge face

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:02 am 
LOST Newbie

I love my Trailhead deflators. Whether intentional or not my kit came with two silver and two red deflators that I set at two different pressures so I can use them for both the Libby and the TJ on the same trip.

Post subject: Re: Which Tire Deflator?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:03 am 
LOST Newbie

I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future. have both. Stauns are nice and easy if airing down to the same pressure every time. You can vary the set pressure of two or four of them but that kinda negates the "ease of use" benefit of them. Be sure to crank the set screw down hard and maybe mark a line of paint to indicate non-movement.

The ARB deflator https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-deflators/ is nice if you often vary the pressure. No chance of losing the valve stem but deflation will be slower than just pulling the valves.

The quality of the actual valve-core puller is good. I believe this is the patented part by Burkey and is shared by all the various brands. I am not really pleased with the rest the pressure gauge on the ARB Looks cheap and the protective rubber cover doesn't even fit snug. I have not had the opportunity to compare with the other brands. But I'd like to see a currie or accu-gage version. I have one of the regular dial type accu-Gage's gauges that seems to be of better quality. But perhaps these are all the same.

The Stauns have two problems;
1)They are never set for the pressure I want to run today.
2)They are all over the place on what pressure the actually shut off at. The ambient temp seems to change the shut off pressure, worse it does not seem to be uniform across the set I have.
With the Terraflex style, I put one on, wait a minute and install the rest. Every minute or so I check the first one. When it gets close I release it and the rest then air them down one at a time. It works really well, plus I can lend one or two out to friends and still get aired down pretty fast.

The other advantage is that at $10 I can afford to have a set in every truck, unlike the Stuans.
.I like to watch YouTube videos of a similar subject when I'm looking for information about the right product. I hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kul4YMcVpU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:34 am 
LOST Newbie

I was looking for deflators as well, and I went with the Staun II deflators. They are basically the same as the Stauns, but instead of being made in Australia, the IIs are made here. They are faster than the original Stauns but work the same. The ARB, Currie, and one other valve stem removal deflator are basically, all the same, just different names on them. I was looking at ARB/Currie, but, since I air down to 18 psi, I didn't need one, although they are half the price of the Staun IIs. The Stauns take a little bit to adjust, but once set, they might have to be checked occasionally, but they work. SmittyBuilt deflators are not reliable enough for me to want to use them, according to the numerous reviews I have read. They are much harder to adjust, and they are inaccurate after adjustment

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I already have a pressure gauge so I just got a Teraflex deflator. It works great.