It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transfer case cable
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:11 pm 
LOST Member

Soooo...I was driving home through tropical storm Fay when I decided to engage my full time 4 wheel drive. There was a LOT of water coming down, wind, etc. Anyway, I give the lever a tug and it moves freely...like nothing is connected to it. How irritating.

When I got home I climbed under there and felt the cable up alongside the transfer case. It is not connected to anything at the eyelet on the end. I felt around for and found the post, (can't see anything well due to the skid plate and cross member being in the way) and verified that when held on the post the TC shifts into its other positions (at least as reported by the dash indicator lights).

My question to any who have played with this is what secures the eyelet to the post? It doesn't feel like it's threaded. Has anyone else had this spontaneously disconnect? I have to wait until the rain stops before I can investigate further.

Thanks,

Chester

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
Etecno1 GX3123 Steel 7V Glow Plugs
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ive heard of it happening but Im unsure what holds it onto the tcase.

I think I remember jjkj saying its just a plastic clip.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

have to look..... but should be just a horseshoe clip ( spring clip) or something holding it on. cable just has a round end to it and there is a post for it to mount to, someone will jump in before I get back home to tell you I am sure!

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:38 pm 
LOST Member

We got a break in the rain long enough for me to go out and get soaked taking a better look. :) I found a piece of a plastic on the selection lever on the transfer case. I'm suspecting that this is part of whatever retained it. I tie wrapped the eyelet on the post for now, and will visit the dealer tomorrow to hopefully find the pieces required. The nearest CRD dealer is about an hour from me. Can anyone comment as to whether this setup is unique to the CRD or the same as the non diesel drivetrain?

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:44 pm 
LOST Addict

ChesterCRD wrote:
We got a break in the rain long enough for me to go out and get soaked taking a better look. :) I found a piece of a plastic on the selection lever on the transfer case. I'm suspecting that this is part of whatever retained it. I tie wrapped the eyelet on the post for now, and will visit the dealer tomorrow to hopefully find the pieces required. The nearest CRD dealer is about an hour from me. Can anyone comment as to whether this setup is unique to the CRD or the same as the non diesel drivetrain?

It believe it is the same, not positive. I do know that the cable comes off frequently on the gassers as well. Who knows, maybe the wire tie is an improvement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:35 am 
LOST Member

Well, I spoke to the parts department today. They only sell this plastic piece along with the cable and shifter. So $80 for a stupid piece of plastic. I was looking to get a dozen of them so I'll be ready for the next time this happens. Anybody know what this piece is called or have a source for getting just the plastic retainer?

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:45 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Did you happen to just get a service job done? I know most of the 06s didn't require the F37 "recall," but when my brother had his done on his 05, he reported a loose T-case lever...problem: disconnected T-case cable. When I finally gave in and had my F37 neuter job, I took mine home with a disconnected T-case cable too. They fixed it for free, but it always concerned me that others have apparently lost the cable connection without dealer service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:54 pm 
LOST Member

dog_party wrote:
Did you happen to just get a service job done? I know most of the 06s didn't require the F37 "recall," but when my brother had his done on his 05, he reported a loose T-case lever...problem: disconnected T-case cable. When I finally gave in and had my F37 neuter job, I took mine home with a disconnected T-case cable too. They fixed it for free, but it always concerned me that others have apparently lost the cable connection without dealer service.

Nope. I'm out of warranty and generally prefer to fix/maintain things myself if I'm able to. I called around trying to find out what the retaining device is, but niether of the two dealers I spoke to were able to help me out. I rigged up a temporary solution using some plastic retainers I bought at autozone. I'm not happy with it, but it held together well for my testing so it will do until I can figure out something better.

My Jeep has been through a lot of water this week so maybe I'll have the dealer do a differential service and see they'll fix the TC cable for me for free/cheap. Maybe I can even talk them into a few spare clips. I don't believe that they don't have the part available.

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift