It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Mine doesn't do it when it stays in the garage. But if I leave it out all night and it is real cold it will do it for a couple of seconds and then stop. It is like a spoiled brat.

I do run 5w30 (year round) which is the recomended wt for an 05. I am using Valvoline Synthetic. I never used a heavier weight oil like a 10w30 so I don't know if that makes a difference but I imagine it would make more noise with the heavier oil.

A couple of times I thought of trying the 0w20 in the winter like the newer 3.7L calls for but chickened out since I do not know if they did anything to the motor to use the lighter weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The lighter weight oils can make that cold knock worse.

Just remember that the "NORMAL" oil pressure for a KJ at idle at full operating temp is 4psi,at 3000rpms it must be between 25-110psi.

Oh and one of the causes for low oil pressure and/or the low oil pressure light coming on is to light of a oil weight.

Post subject: Re: Cold engine knock, 3.7L
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys new here,

Has any1 been able to fix this engine knocking problem yet? :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: Cold engine knock, 3.7L
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Well, I think the noise some of us are talking about is maybe different from the noise the original poster is talking about.

Loud noise for minutes in cold weather... I would really suggest a flush and switch to 5w20 oil for the winter to see if it stops.

I had a ford once that did this. I tried thinner oil and it was worse. I went thicker and it never did it again. The only explainations I could ever come up with for this is either the thinner oil was draining back off from something completely that the thicker oil was clinging to. Or the idle oil pressure was on the low side. I don't know which, but that ford had 340,000 on it when I sold it.

My liberty, I bought it with 6600 miles. I discovered some noise early on and couldn't figure out what it was nor a way to shut it up. I was sure I had just figured out why I was able to find one with 6600 miles on it, and that it would need an engine soon. I tried different filters, different oils, etc.

After a while though I realized it is not exactly a cold weather noise in my case. I sometimes even forget it makes the noise. So it is different. When I notice it usually is when I crank up the first time for the day. Sometimes it is right away. Sometimes it is not. But I hear tapping. Sometimes it will tap, hush, then start back. Then I don't hear it again the rest of the day.

It sounds just like any other engine tapping noise to me, like a cold weather start noise or a lifter noise, diesel noise etc. Not a hard knock. I have certainly heard engines with louder cold weather starts. But this noise I never have been able to figure it out. I have never encountered a noise like this come and go and return on the same startup, etc. It is very obviously not anything like what I thought it was though, not at all a detriment. It has 211,000 on it now and has been doing it the whole time.

It is a noise that is almost like a cycle as far as how it comes and goes. It's most pronounced to me when it silences. It seems to make the noise for a bit stop, return, stop, return, stop, return. I should try to time it sometime to see how long it taps and how long it is quiet and how many times it does it before it stops. But it seems to stop after a bit or I just don't notice it anymore. But I think it stops and doesn't return after the thermostat opens maybe?