It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How hard is it to install a lift yourself?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:52 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm really thinking about lifting my KJ. But I've been quoted around $600 to have a lift installed at a shop around here. If I buy the lift and install it myself I can save $350 and buy that sweet roof basket I've been wanting also. But, I'm not sure if I can install a lift myself or not. I've got average mechanical ability but I've never done any type of lift before. I'm looking at a 2 - 2.5" spacer lift of some sort. Do you guys recommend me trying to install it myself, or should I have a shop do it and fork over the extra cash?

:?:

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:08 pm 

I will say this...I had absolutely no mechanical experience before I bought the KJ two years ago. The first lift was installed by a shop. When I replaced that I did it myself. Knowing what I know now I would have nver paid a shop to install the first lift either.

Only you can say how comfortable you are in the garage though. Read through some installation instructions and see if you have the right tools and knowledge. If after reading the instructions everything seems relatively straight forward then go for it! However, if they are throwing around terms you've never heard before then maybe leave it to a pro. Better yet, get a knowledgeable friend to help you out and learn a little something along the way - that is probably your best case scenario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:26 pm 
LOST Member

Find a friend or two with some experience and go for it yourself. You will feel better having done it yourself and will learn more about your Jeep that way. I had two friends help me do mine and we finished in a bout two hours putting on the Rusty's Spring lift. Both of guys who helped were very experienced and own several Jeeps themselves, but it was their first time doing a lift on a KJ.

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Follow DoverKJ's advise. That's how you learn and you'll be better for it in the long run. Also, you'll be in the position to then help someone else in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I say get a few dudes who know what they are doing and get them to show you and get your hands dirty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I agree with the above...either corral a buddy that has experience working on his/her cars, OR find a local automotive mechanics class and take it. You can use it to install your lift, perform routine maintenance, etc.

A local college here in SLC offers mechanics classes several times a year at a high school shop. I've saved hundreds of dollars and learned a lot in the process.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject: lift kit for diesel liberty....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think there are a few issues regarding the weight of the diesel and the heavy duty front springs...sit tight a few hours and someone will add on here about what works and what doesn't...

'98 TJ sport gunmetal blue
33's with modifications to make them fit....still need a few more things....

first jeep....
'04 liberty sport 4x4 khaki
modified as recommended by L.O.S.T.....major fun on vacation....

L.O.S.T. (in fla.) #000496

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:26 pm 

There shouldn't be any issues since he is using a spacer lift. Since the stock springs are reused in that setup there shouldn't be any sagging due to differing spring rates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
CRD Liberty lifting info: At this time (July 2005) we are only recommending the Daystar 2.5" lift for the front of a CRD. Jeeps uses a VERY stiff front factory spring to handle the weight. NONE of the aftermarket springs yet are heavy enough to do the job properly. We probably lifted one of the first CRD's in the country and found out the hard way that even the Frankenlift doesn't work on a CRD, it's just too heavy. I know Old Man Emu will probably be the one's to have springs soon, but for now it's a Daystar 2.5" lift, Rancho strut, and stock front springs. Diesel Dave from AZ is running this set up and as far as I know is very happy with it. Dave's CRD was out for the KJ Moab 2005 run. I hope he can comment more on how it's doing. Also we did use the Skyjacker rear springs and Ranchos on the back, and those were great on the CRD. And Dave did drive from AZ to CA to have us work on his CRD

From Quinn in the tech section

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=226

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:37 pm 
LOST Member

LibertyCRD, I just purchased my lift kit today for my CRD. Quinn from Boulderbars.com was a BIG help. He recommended the Daystar 2.5 lift just as posted above. BDS has something in the works, but still in the test phase. I placed my order with a local shop. I was going to buy from Quinn as his prices are VERY reasonable, however, I got it local from Michigan Off Road Company for just under $500.00 and I didn't pay for S&H. If it hadn't been for that, I would have ordered from Quinn. I didn't get the Rancho Shocks, but the BDS instead. I was told that Rancho uses rubber gaskets or seals, or something like that, and BDS used Neoprene and that would last longer. I did as instructed and spray painted clear coat over the power coat to help prevent rusting down the road. I should have this all on by next week at the latest with tires. I'll post pics. PLUS, MI. Off Road is having some HUGE anuall Monster Truck/JEEP thing on 7/30/05 that I'll be at and get pics of that too. Hope this helps you out some.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:33 am 
LOST Member

I am quite happy with the Daystar 2.5 on my CRD. The CRD is a bit heavier than the 3.7 and I found the OME HD springs that comes with the Frankenlift to be too soft for my taste. Going around corners on the highway felt like a test of faith with the feeling of being topheavy much more pronounced on the softer springs. So, I had the Frankenlift taken out and the Daystar put in. I also had the Skyjacker springs in the rear, but switched them back to the Daystar pucks and stock springs. Even though the Skyjacker rears were very comfortable, they were about 1/2 shorter in the back than the Daystar front. Now, I have the Daystar all the way around and couldn't be happier. This took alot of trial and error and a couple late nights but this setup seems to be one of the best lifts right now for the heavier CRD. Thanks to Clint and Quinn for putting things on and taking them off again. Their troubleshooting has been invaluable. Until we get a 4.5" with 33's...

Hope this helps!

Dave

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject: Rough Country?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm looking at the Rough Country lift for my CRD. It would use the same springs in the front. Anyone know anything about the Rough Country setup?

Wes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:23 am 
LOST Member

Longarm,
Where is Michigan Off Road located? do you have their number.
I am looking for help in GR and Cascade 4x4 dose not carry the stufrf I want
Email me : LOSTcrd<remove>@verizon.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:45 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks to you all for the responses! I'm going to just do the lift myself. Then when my crappy OEM tires wear out I'll get some MTs. Thanks guys! :lol:

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:53 pm 
LOST Member

Michigan Off ROad is in Lansing off I-69. It's off "old 27" or something like that. Actually their having some off road compitition and show on the 30th of this month. Supposed to be HUGE! I'm going and even entering my CRD in the sahow and shine.

http://www.michiganoffroad.net

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759