It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painted Fender Flares
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, I have a 2005 Liberty Sport. I was curious if anyone here has either done or seen painted fender flares? The standard grey is O.K. But first off, can they be painted? or even dyed? I was looking to go black, maybe even they sell an after market black set. Anyways just curious.

Future Upgrades: ARB Bull Bar, A 2.5 lift, Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Intake. Double DIN GPS Nav System

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:27 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Its been done but very hard to get paint to stick right to the sport flares. Several writeups on it/trying it/talking about it. Just buy a set of paintable flares if you don't like the sports. 300 bucks or so for a set. Sport flares do not get all acratched up though when out in the brush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:56 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Its been done but very hard to get paint to stick right to the sport flares. Several writeups on it/trying it/talking about it. Just buy a set of paintable flares if you don't like the sports. 300 bucks or so for a set. Sport flares do not get all acratched up though when out in the brush.

Alot of other Jeep forums I've been reading up on also suggest Krylon Fusion Paint (Supposedly Specifically for plastics) Nobody in those other forums bothered to return saying how great it worked out, so I'm skeptical, also I tried googling "Jeep Liberty Paintable Flares" with no luck, if you know of a site, that would be appreciated! Thanks!

Future Upgrades: ARB Bull Bar, A 2.5 lift, Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Intake. Double DIN GPS Nav System

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've been thinking of doing this too.

Even with plastic specific paint you'll still need to prep really well. I'm thinking of using bedliner also but might just rattlecan it, I haven't decided.

Hellas
Rear cargo shelf
Future:
Lift
Tires

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:56 pm 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:
Someone here tried it too... not too long ago.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=34703

That was me. Held up okay. Didn't spend a lot of time prepping the surface. Just wiped it with some acetone. Might redo it this summer.

Next time, I'm going to remove the flares instead of taping off the body. Get a box of TSP power and dilute it with water to clean the surface thoroughly. Wipe it down with a microfiber towel, spray on some adhesion promoter to help the paint stick to the plastic. Basically a clear primer. Then shoot it with Krylon fusion. In the pictures that yellowcoyote posted, I used a gloss black, I'm going to use a flat or satin black next time.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I currently have my plastic liscence plate holder undergoing a little real-world testing on the front of my jeep. I took it off, cleaned it up with the wax/silicone remover stuff, coated with adhesion promoter, and sprayed it with black DupliColor Truck Bed Coating from a rattle can. Then, I put it back on the Jeep. It looks pretty good on there. Now, granted, with the plate on it, that doesnt leave a whole lot of area exposed to the elements, and I havent been driving it through the brush or anything. Last time I looked, it was doing good, but that was a while ago. Its been covered with snow and ice for a while now, but its clean now! Just forget to check it out over the weekend. I'll take a look at it tonight and report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Damned this thread got nailed today. I just need to get hold of the mold for the Jeep fender and put in a black plastic.....ahhh if only......BTW That Krylon Black paint job looks bad @$$! Thats exactly what I'm lookin for. How does it hold up to the elements? I also saw on that thread that a Black Leather Dye would work....can anyone confirm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2005 KJ Owner wrote:
Damned this thread got nailed today. I just need to get hold of the mold for the Jeep fender and put in a black plastic.....ahhh if only......BTW That Krylon Black paint job looks bad @$$! Thats exactly what I'm lookin for. How does it hold up to the elements? I also saw on that thread that a Black Leather Dye would work....can anyone confirm?

i tried the leather dye on my plate holder before i tried the bed coating. i didnt have any luck with it, but i may have done it wrong. i had a very hard time getting it to cover evenly. then it pretty much all peeled off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:13 pm 
LOST Addict

I painted my bumpers on my Astro van that were the same gray and material as the Libby's fenders. I used some plastic bumper paint in black satin and they held up really nice for 2 yrs before I sold it. I cleaned them very well and didn't use a promotor, figured that paint wa designed for the plastic. My buddy used the Krylon Fusion on a Honda MotoX bike and it held up great too. I plan on doing the same thing to my wife's libbyin spring...I hate the gray.
Here was the van...

Before
After

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:35 pm 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
Sport flares do not get all acratched up though when out in the brush.

My Renegade flares are all scratched from bushes. Wouldn't want to know what they'd look like if they were painted though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anybody heard any good things about this product? http://www.autogeek.net/wufltrpa.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:40 am 
LOST Newbie

My flares and bumpers are black but I put some of Mothers back to black on, that stuff is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:35 am 
LOST Newbie

mikes07kj wrote:
My flares and bumpers are black but I put some of Mothers back to black on, that stuff is great.

So yours were black from the get go? I didnt know that the Libbys came with black fenders from the factory, Learn something new everyday! I understand that the "Mothers Back to Black" is meant to restore the luster from faded black auto trim. Mine are grey though and I want to get them black, I dont think the "Mothers Back to Black" would help me. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2005 KJ Owner wrote:
mikes07kj wrote:

So yours were black from the get go? I didnt know that the Libbys came with black fenders from the factory, Learn something new everyday! I understand that the "Mothers Back to Black" is meant to restore the luster from faded black auto trim. Mine are grey though and I want to get them black, I dont think the "Mothers Back to Black" would help me. :(

no, it will not get them black, but it would make them look like new.... for a couple days...

a word of advice, if anyone uses Back to Black and then considers painting, be sure to use silicone remover to clean the surface first because that stuff leaves a hefty residue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

jerbacher wrote:
no, it will not get them black, but it would make them look like new.... for a couple days...

a word of advice, if anyone uses Back to Black and then considers painting, be sure to use silicone remover to clean the surface first because that stuff leaves a hefty residue!

For a couple of days! lol Not a good product I take it then huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:30 pm 
Bush Hunter

Wasn't it durangotang that made some "paintable" fenders?

:lol:

Curt class III/IV hitch, and wireing
O.K. Offroad steel reciever shackle
Zune 80 gig for the tunes,
(Do Jeep slush mats count?)
Life size Amstaff terrier bobble head in rear seat :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:50 am 

Inc wrote:
tommudd wrote:

My Renegade flares are all scratched from bushes. Wouldn't want to know what they'd look like if they were painted though.

Inc you haven't bedlined yours yet?

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:00 am 
LOST Newbie

2005 KJ Owner wrote:
jerbacher wrote:

Now my fenders were always in good shape but I've only used black to black 2 times so far and its kept my fenders looking like brand new. I can't speak for fenders that are faded bad but as far as only lasting a couple of days, not in my case.

Bad spelling I mean back to black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mikes07kj wrote:
2005 KJ Owner wrote:
jerbacher wrote:

Now my fenders were always in good shape but I've only used black to black 2 times so far and its kept my fenders looking like brand new. I can't speak for fenders that are faded bad but as far as only lasting a couple of days, not in my case.

Bad spelling I mean back to black.

really i was exaggerating. for me, it lasted a few weeks. but, i have some areas on my flares that are really faded. i imagine that if you have flares that are decent, it would work much better. there are a lot of people out there that swear by the stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:45 pm 
LOST Addict

daspes wrote:
Inc wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Inc you haven't bedlined yours yet?

Nope, for some reason ever time I go to do it I don't I like the black KJ with gray fenders. Not sure I'd like black fenders on my jeep.