It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:25 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

My turn for lbj's. 6 days too new for the recall and too many miles old for warranty. :evil: Time for some moogs.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:51 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

05kjrenny wrote:
when i installed my lift i put the nuts back on the upper and almost tight and it started spinning is this normal as it did it on both side probally is by thought i would ask

I think this is normal. It happened to me when we were installing new Moog lowers. It took JJ and I over 30 min. to screw in 1 nut because the bolt kept spinning. I think when the guys at PepBoys pressed them in, they may have flattened the thread just enough to make it tough to screw in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:46 am 
LOST Newbie

Had to convince the stealership that the lbj is their problem as many libs have had problems with. After they talked to someone in charge they said they would cover it. Forgot to take a pic of it before I took it in. I'll be reporting this failure also. I'll be getting the moog lbj soon though.

RRO Rockfather stage 2 2.5'' lift General Grabber AT2 245/75 R16

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2197265/1

Post subject: %#@#% LBJ
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just purchased my '05 Liberty joined up here and found out about the problem. Liberty was used and had 23000 miles on it. Read the posts got nervous and checked. Driver side 1/4 play up and down passenger just sllightly under that. Arrrggghh! Jeep still under original factory warranty so I will try to take it in soon. I love jeeps always have always will, was skeptical of liberty for IFS and offroad ability but it does pretty good stock. Now however Im not so sure, My CJ is built like a tank :D I hope the liberty doesnt fail on the 200+ mile trip to the dealer to have it fixed. wish me luck :)

Oh its only 4 days old for me btw, silver limited edition 3.7 V6 and 17 inch wheels (will be fixing that for offroad ability) Pretty nutty new vehicle goin out like that (ESPECIALLY A JEEP!!!) ah well. We shall see what can be done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:21 pm 
LOST Addict

JeroldBurrow wrote:
Here is a video of my ball joint...

http://www.diresearch.com/4x4/Temp/MVI_0849.AVI

--
Jerold Burrow

I just checked mine.... again today.

My passenger side looks about like that video, but driver's side had so much play and made so much noise, that I'm surprised the wheel hasn't fallen off already. :(

'04 with 25k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:52 am 
LOST Junkie

I spoke to my dealer's Service Dept. about my 2003 KJ yesterday. They ran the VIN and said there are no outstanding recalls for my vehicle, so I "have nothing to worry about." I didn't jack up the KJ and inspect myself because I don't have access to a big jack. When I poked my head under the front, the lower ball joints *looked* pretty good. But does appearance give any clue to the overall condition of the parts? What are the symptoms of a failing ball joint? What should we be looking and listening for?

FWIW, I haven't noticed any change in the ride since day one, and there are no noises. That's one of things that impresses me most about my KJ -- it's the most solid, rattle-free vehicle I've ever driven. After three years, it still drives like new.

General Tire Grabber AT2 245/70R16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

As I look into replacing ball joints, I am also tempted to get Al's a arms while I'm at it ... but I have heard that these are causing some of their own problems. Anyone know what these might be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:11 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

dark_luther wrote:
As I look into replacing ball joints, I am also tempted to get Al's a arms while I'm at it ... but I have heard that these are causing some of their own problems. Anyone know what these might be?

I have Al's A arms and beat the heck out of them at Moab. No problems whatsoever. The only thing I've noticed is a bit of tire rubbing at full lock. You'll also have to trim some of the plastic under the fender.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Regarding what to look for....

I noticed that my KJ was "wandering" over the road. As in, I'm taking a left curve at about 25-35MPH, and there's this rut in the road, instead of heading straight, when hitting the rut, I'm actually going to my RIGHT. The new ball joints have fixed that problem. It's as straight as an arrow now. Wherever I point it, it goes. Not to mention, my steering is a lot more responsive now. Some people noticed odd tire wear. I didn't notice any. I didn't hear any noises of any type from the front suspension. I haven't had it on the highway / freeway since so I don't know if it fixed the vibration I felt at speed.

However, some unlucky people's wheels have fallen off entirely. I do feel sorry for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Edvalencia wrote:
dark_luther wrote:

I have Al's A arms and beat the heck out of them at Moab. No problems whatsoever. The only thing I've noticed is a bit of tire rubbing at full lock. You'll also have to trim some of the plastic under the fender.

Ed

Trim the plastic over the pinch weld? or elswhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:12 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

dark_luther wrote:
Edvalencia wrote:
dark_luther wrote:

Ed

Trim the plastic over the pinch weld? or elswhere?

I had to trim the plastic above where the arms are bolted. When the tire is fully stuffed, the upper arms swing up and hit the plastic liner.

My wheels don't touch the pinch weld at all. They just rub on the sway bar, and now the a arms.

If I get a chance, I'll take a picture tonight.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes ... please post picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:14 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

No outstanding recalls on my 03 either, but I asked for them to be checked during the 60k service and they were bad. Now they're Moogs.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:15 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

dark_luther wrote:

Sorry, no picture yet. Been really busy.

I'll try to post this weekend.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:40 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

dark_luther wrote:

Ok, I finally got around to taking the pictures.

On the first picture, you can see where my tire rubs against the a-arm. You can also see where I still need to cut a notch on the bumpstop so that the grease fitting doesn't hit it.

This next image shows where I needed to cut the plastic lining to allow the a-arm to travel up without hitting it.

Overall I am very happy the Al's uppers. Much better than the stock ones.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

54K & she's at the dlr right now for LBJs! (& I've only offroaded 2x, light stuff too!) :cry:

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cacher123 wrote:
54K & she's at the dlr right now for LBJs! (& I've only offroaded 2x, light stuff too!) :cry:
\

Thats nothing, I have 19k on mine. :wink:

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:57 am 
LOST Addict

Cacher123 wrote:

You made it to 54K miles, what's your secret? Dealer just replaced both my LBJ's last week at less than 15K miles and it's never been off road. Come to think of it, the last time I owned a vehicle that needed LBJ's was my high school beater '74 Super-beetle over 20 yrs ago.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Cacher123 wrote:
54K & she's at the dlr right now for LBJs! (& I've only offroaded 2x, light stuff too!)

>You made it to 54K miles, what's your secret?

My secret is: failure to have them checked! :lol:

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:22 pm 
I live here
I live here

I finally checked mine with 25,000 miles on it. I noticed the heat shields were already on them. No problems. Barely moved even when I almost lifted the KJ off the floor jack. No wiggles.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next