It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Frustrated in North Jersey-Ball Joint Issue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello all...I have recently become a new member of this site,even though I hate typing..I had to respond to this particular subject. In June 05' I purchased a new 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4. By August I had a 2.5" lift installed. My mechanic had a very difficult time adjusting the "camber". I suggested he call the company where I purchased the lift(Rocky Road). My mechanic called me & said they were a_ _holes!! I was surprised at Rocky Road's neglect to offer assistance after I purchased quite an expensive lift. At this point the alignment/camber was so-so.
I visit a repair shop in town, the guy does exactly what you've decribed in your post! Diagnosis: bad lower ball joint. Take a trip to my Jeep dealer(hav a couple friends there), tell them the issue. At the end of the day "Shawn" tells me: "Its not the ball joint,It's because of your suspension lift. We can't do anything about it, you've altered the vehicle & voided the warranty". So much for friends. I've decided that the mechanics @ this dealership are idiots!!
I suddenly recall I also have friend that's a service writer @ Dodge. Explained the whole story to her & the owner, they said they will cover the ball joints(if indeed the prob)under warranty & give me a rental car(ew..I'm driving a neon..lol). It's Tuesday 1/31 @ 12:53pm est. Wish me luck on the repair!!! I will write back soon. Sorry for the loooong post too!

Lund hood scoop
JEEP..not all women are passengers!!

Post subject: Re: Frustrated in North Jersey-Ball Joint Issue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AJAY wrote:
Hello all...I have recently become a new member of this site,even though I hate typing..I had to respond to this particular subject. In June 05' I purchased a new 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4. By August I had a 2.5" lift installed. My mechanic had a very difficult time adjusting the "camber". I suggested he call the company where I purchased the lift(Rocky Road). My mechanic called me & said they were a_ _holes!! I was surprised at Rocky Road's neglect to offer assistance after I purchased quite an expensive lift. At this point the alignment/camber was so-so.
I visit a repair shop in town, the guy does exactly what you've decribed in your post! Diagnosis: bad lower ball joint. Take a trip to my Jeep dealer(hav a couple friends there), tell them the issue. At the end of the day "Shawn" tells me: "Its not the ball joint,It's because of your suspension lift. We can't do anything about it, you've altered the vehicle & voided the warranty". So much for friends. I've decided that the mechanics @ this dealership are idiots!!
I suddenly recall I also have friend that's a service writer @ Dodge. Explained the whole story to her & the owner, they said they will cover the ball joints(if indeed the prob)under warranty & give me a rental car(ew..I'm driving a neon..lol). It's Tuesday 1/31 @ 12:53pm est. Wish me luck on the repair!!! I will write back soon. Sorry for the loooong post too!

If you are still having issues with your alignment, you can try to contact JeepinAl and see if his upper control arms will fix that issue. I people that are using them, but they have the Frankenlift, but this still might solve that issue.

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 am 
AJAY wrote:

Should we be using a grease injection needle on these sealed LBJ boots every 5k miles to freshen up the grease???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have an '06 CRD with 27000miles with very bad ball joints. The right side has 1/4" up and down play. The left is around 1/8". The dealer ordered new ones and I took it in yesterday to have them replaced but found the upper joints to be bad also. I had been experiencing a "clunk" when stopping and starting but didn't think it was coming from the front. Now I am convinced it is the ball joints.

I also had excessive tire wear on the front right tire. I took it in for an alignment and they said it was fine. I cant believe they didn't find the bad joints. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA this morning.

I have been experiencing the clunk for about 3000 miles.

It is an '05... Sorry for the mistake.

Last edited by jdreckard on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:07 pm 
alljeep wrote:
Should we be using a grease injection needle on these sealed LBJ boots every 5k miles to freshen up the grease???

Sorry to quote myself, but after seeing the above post on the '06 CRD, I would really like SOMEONE to chime in to this with an answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:28 pm 
LOST Member

Just replaced all mine. All stock joist were lttle more than dust a rust when we pulled them off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I bought an 03 used almost a year ago. I want to check the Ball Joints this weekend as its supposed to be warmer. Is there any way I can find out if DC has replaced mine already? AND do I have any recourse to get to DC to replace them since mine is out of the original 36K warrany? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:46 am 
LOST Member

K9tuckers03KJ wrote:
.... 03 .... Is there any way I can find out if DC has replaced mine already? :?:

There was a build-date cut-off. I can't find a copy of the recall right now.

ALL '02 models and '03 models to a certain date were supposed to be REPLACED.

After that '03 model build date, they were supposed to be INSPECTED, replaced if needed.

Call the dealer with the VIN no. to see if the recall work was performed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oh my, i'm a new Jeep owner i have 05 libby renegade and i wheel it. (nothing hard) but i am getting worried about the ubj and lbj problem it sounds like a safty hazard, i guess i whoul take mine in to the dealer and have then check it with the 16k checkup, before i put the lift on. do alljay's have this problem is it because the grease dry's up? i don't want to spend 350 unless ineed to (trying to get out of debt) I got a jeep for there rep not to worry about my wheels flying off lol.... any input would be greatly appriciated. i'm getting rusty's coil lift would alljays work?

Track Lok Rear diff:
factory skid plates:
Rusty's 2.5 coil lift:
GPS: High lift jack/self recovery kit
Uniden pc78xl CB radio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I thought you just turn your head and cough... :)

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:15 pm 
LOST Member

OMG, Wally is back from the grave LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

i can vouch for this as somthing you should definatley get checked...we have an 05 renegade with 31k miles on it and had to get both ball joints replaced not a very pleasant even leading up to the incident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:35 pm 
LOST Member

when i installed my lift i put the nuts back on the upper and almost tight and it started spinning is this normal as it did it on both side probally is by thought i would ask

0IIIIII0
2006 IMPACT ORANGE RUBICON
305 Mt/Rs MT Classic II's
2.5 lift
1.25 JKS BL
JKS quicker Discos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey guys, where can I find the Moog K3199 greasable lower ball joints?

Rick

Post subject: Moog K3199's
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was thinking about getting my Moog's from Jeepin-Al's, but I found a local auto parts store that carries Car Quest parts. I told them I would only accept them if they were greaseables. They called their distributor and made sure they had zerk fittings before they shipped them. The pair cost me around $125 (including ship/tax).

Moog LBJ's
CJ > XJ > KJ

Post subject: BALL JOINTS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

HELP I HAVE COME TO TERMS WITH IT I HAVE BAD BALL JOINTS...WHERE DO I GET NEW ONES ARE SOME BETTER THAN OTHER ANY IDEAS??? PLEASE HELP WITH WEB SITE OR STORES...THANKS

Post subject: Re: BALL JOINTS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

S PEFFER wrote:
HELP I HAVE COME TO TERMS WITH IT I HAVE BAD BALL JOINTS...WHERE DO I GET NEW ONES ARE SOME BETTER THAN OTHER ANY IDEAS??? PLEASE HELP WITH WEB SITE OR STORES...THANKS

Try reading the thread you posted in, or try search. The post right above yours is talking about getting MOOG ball joints from jeepin' al or carquest and the one above it has the part number.... :roll:

oh and quit screaming...

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:42 am 
I live here
I live here

I would be interested to know what the percentage is of bad LBJ's between non-lifted to lifted KJ's.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject: Me too
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:26 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

Tokyojoe, I have been thinking the same thing. I wondered how much impact the lifts have on the life span of the ball joints. Then I realized the different lifts likely have different amounts/types of affect on the ball joints. But then I thought it would be good to be able to take a percentage tally to DC to let them know what we are experiencing: lifted KJs have this many ball joint failures, non-lifted KJs have this many. But THEN I woke up and thougt: if DC actually CARED about ball joint failures, they'd stop putting the bad ones into the KJs. They KNOW how likely the ball joints are to fail, we can be sure of that. Still, personal interest makes me curious about the numbers. How can we find out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have an 05 with just over 10k and my driver side lbj is toast. I took it in last week for a clunk and they said I had a bolt loose. While I was washing it I saw it today. I cant believe the dealership didnt notice something so obvious. I also checked my ubj. My passenger side ubj has a small tear in it from contact with the spring. Are the moogs going to suffer the same problem getting pinched by the spring? I wouldnt mind getting the ctrl arms al makes but from what I have read they cause other issues as well.

RRO Rockfather stage 2 2.5'' lift General Grabber AT2 245/75 R16

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2197265/1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next