It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: HOW TO CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK guys, This is not a tech write up but just a guide to help you find out if you have bad lower ball joints. If you do not feel good about doing this yourself or you do not know how to do this in a safe manner...then by all means take you KJ to a shop or dealer nad have them check your ball joints for you.

Please use good judgment while doing any work on any vehicle.

Again...do not do this if you have not read all of this or feel you might doing something wrong or unsafe. This is just a guideline not a step by step tech article.

Place your KJ on a level driveway and set the parking brake.

Place a floor jack under the lower control arm and lift the tire off the ground about 3 inches. The jack must be under the control arm and not anything else. You are unloading the spring from the ball joint. if you lift any where else this test is not going to work.

Use a pry bar or 2x4 and slide it under the tire that is lifted. Use enough force to see if there is any play by lifting and releasing the tire. Do not apply too much lifting force to knock the vehicle off the jack.

See if you feel any play...but also have someone else watch to see if there is any play in the balljoint.

If you fell or see any play the ball joint must be replaced. Do not delay on having it replaced because it will at some time separate and the wheel will come off your Jeep.

If you do not feel any play or see any movement for sure...Then your lower ball joint should be good.

While you still have it lifted go to the top of the tire and try moving it from side to side...Push and pull it to see if you feel any play. If it is bad it will have a very small bump or pop feel to it. Again do this slow and don't do it hard enough to pull it off the floor jack.

If you have any bad ball joints.. have it repaired and then PLEASE repost it to the other link I post about ball joint failures.

Thanks. later...Clint

Here are a few pictures that might help.

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

Is this the lower or upper ball joint that I should be checking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:02 am 
LOST Junkie

Lower bro, and clint good post....hopefully everyone will be checking like that, that is the right way to do it......above all keep safe....take it to a mechanic if you don't know what your doing or feel nervous about it. Other than that happy BJing.....hmmm that doesn't sound right....happy ball jointing.....neither does that.....Seasons Greetings....better :wink:

-2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Overland Expeditions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I haven't looked-but is this joint pressed in or is it a joint we can repair ourselves (assuming most folks dont have a hydraulic press at home)

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here is a video of my ball joint...

http://www.diresearch.com/4x4/Temp/MVI_0849.AVI

--
Jerold Burrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:53 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Mine were worse than yours Jerold, but that needs to be replaced!!!

Manic, yes they are pressed in and out. In the tech section I did a write up on the replacement of the ball joints (lower, and Jeepin By Al's new Uppers) In the thread I have a picture of the press I used, it is basically a glorified C-Clamp, and can be rented/borrowed from a parts store. Also an air drill will make it easier to press this way as well, but if you have the socket adapter for a power drill, that should do it to.

I also recomend applying a little grease in the socket before pressing in so you can cushion the boot, especially if you replace with the serviceable moogs, because the boot is fatter than the OEM ones.
Here is the link to the write up I did.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3317

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thank you USAFCOP, new moogs will be my next upgrade

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I have been reading old posts on this problem and see that Jeep has tried correcting this problem with recalls in the older model year Libertys, are the 2005 and 2006 models still having the same problems? Also, does anyone know if this problem is increased when you lift your Liberty vs. keeping it stock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Same old balljoint in all models of the KJ from 02 -06...it will take a while just because of mileage but the 04 and a couple of 05s are having the same problem. Just be sure to keep an eye on it.
Jim and I have been in contact with the NTSB and have sent them some of the ball joints from an 04. They are gather all the info now and we hope the 04 and 05 will be added to the list very soon.

Again...if you have had a failure or early replacement on a KJ that was not covered under the recall... Please take the time to report it. There is a link on the first page of this thread to the location to make a report. later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject: kj Ball joints
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks to all for the Ball Joint info....I had mine redone by DC abut 12000 miles ago, but I'm going to look at them again this weekend while I have some time. To have a recall and not really fix anything is beyond crazy. I too, wonder what will happen if someone is seriously injured or worse from all this screwing around.

This is my first post, hope I can reply again on a happier topic some time!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:45 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Happy New Year to me , checked my left ball joint..... just fine, then went to the right and that one scared the h*** out of me. Mine is 04 with 49000 on it Now what to do, can not wait for parts to be shipped as I need it everyday for work, so I guess I start tearing it down tonight!

Post subject: Great Info
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:23 am 
LOST Member

Thanks to everyone here contributing to this post with videos, pix and instructions.

Has anybody had luck getting DC to replace them for a second time or subsequently?

If it is a 'lifetime' part, will they keep replacing these on a ongoing basis?

Any advice as to how to approach DC given the past experiences from you here?

Alternately, is Moog is the way to go on these or are there any others worth considering?

Who has done the Moog LBJ already and any other tips other than what was posted here?

What would this cost to have done with labour and parts as I would want the greaseable ones (any pix of these vs the non greaseable Moogs)?

....o_o_o_o
../| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L--↨|||||||↨
()_)¯ ()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

(\__/)
(='.'=) <]{
(")_(")

( . )( . )

Hare on my Chest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Liberator,

I took mine in last Thursday because I found they hadn't installed the heat shields when they supposedly did the recall in early '04. I don't think they replaced the LBJ's then either. Both had torn boots. I checked them though and both had less play than the ones in the video a few posts back. On the service report they wrote that the heat shields seemed to have fallen off and LBJ's were making noise and they "reperformed" the recall. I'm happy they "worked with me" as the service advisor put it. :roll:

Post subject: 05 CRD Ball Joints
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

My March 05 CRD with 11,954 miles on the clock went for its 12000 mile service last week. The dealer told me he wanted the car back to change the Hand Brake assembly and both front lower ball joints (under warranty). The hand brake I agreed was pulling up too far since new, but ball joints at 12000 miles! So I came straight to this Forum and would you believe it there was the test I was looking for.

The right hand ball joint has about 1/32" play (remember this is the drivers side in the UK) and the left hand is 1/8" play. (this is the kerbside and is the side where the country roads I drive on have all the holes and pools of water). However, 95% of my driving is on the highway.

I am expecting to be told this from the dealer at 50,000 miles. I have experience of a ball joint coming adrift in an old car I once had, I was very lucky not to have been injured. That old car didn't weight over 2 tons or travel at modern highway speeds and it wasn't a JEEP.

The CRD goes to the dealer tomorrow, I will let you know what happens.
:( :( :(

Post subject: Re: 05 CRD Ball Joints
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:30 pm 
LOST Member

Jock wrote:

The right hand ball joint has about 1/32" play ...... and the left hand is 1/8" play.

The service manual limit for an '02 ( Should be the same) is 1.5 mm = 0.059".

If your measurements are accurate, 1/8" is about twice the limit.

When I checked mine recently, both right and left were 0.018". At that, the play was noticeable. By that I mean if I hadn't had the dial indicator, I would have thought it was excessive, going just by the feel.

1/8" must feel really scary.

Post subject: Just checked my '05 Renny LBJ's....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was shocked... both sides have 1/16 - 1/8th inch up and down play! I only have 9,500 miles! And I haven't even done any really HARD wheelin'.
I'll be ordering my Moog greaseables ASAP, hopefully before she falls apart. Not waiting for the inevitable recall that DC will have to extend to ALL Liberty's. Kinda makes me wonder if the LBJ's ever got greased at the factory.

Moog LBJ's
CJ > XJ > KJ

Post subject: 05 CRD Ball Joints
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

dkcase

You are correct to question the 1/32" play, it was a subjective judgement I made because it was significantly less than the other Ball Joint, but that one did look like 1/8".

The CRD was returned this afternoon and boy does it feel different. The steering is so much more positive, there is no wandering. In fact I think its better than I ever remember --- could it be that the original ball joints had excessive play from new --- or do I have a bad memory, think about it!

The dealer was quite helpful he did not know if the new ball joints were an uprated version but they are the same part number as before. He must fit the parts DC provide for warranty work.

When asked he did admit that he has changed quite a few Cherokee (Liberty) Ball Joints. :shock:

In future I will be giving water filled pot holes in the road a wide bearth and will monitor Ball Joint wear every 1000 miles or so.

Cheers for now

Jock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:53 pm 
LOST Member

So does lifting the kj make the ball joints wear out faster?

05 Rubicon Unlimited, mostly stock.Starting to add stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

06BlueLimited wrote:
So does lifting the kj make the ball joints wear out faster?

I can't speak from experience yet, but I doubt it. A lift changes the angle of the lower control arm and LBJ so little that it shouldn't matter. The problem is the factory LBJ's are "sealed for life". Eventually that factory grease is going to dry out. If you do a lot of deep water crossings, you may lose the grease even faster. Then corrosion takes over. Once you have a dry ball twisting around inside a dry joint, you're grinding away metal. Eventually the LBJ will separate.

Moog LBJ's
CJ > XJ > KJ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next