It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:32 pm 
LOST Member

no deal under the recall but its not my lowers. it is the uppers for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If the uppers are bad - you might want to look at Jeeping Al's arms - they have the grease able replaceable Moogs.
for almost the same price as the OME replacement arms with non-greasable non-replaceable ball joints.
The only concern - would be that they're extended to improve alignments for lifts - and it didn't sound like your lifted yet.
but call Marlin(he bought the business from Al) and talk about options.
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:24 pm 
LOST Member

Thank you to everybody who has put this thread together. I checked mine yesterday and darn near had a heart attack. They both moved about 1/4in.
So I just picked up some Moog's today and having them put in next week. I'm really glad I read this thread and checked them. Even though its going to cost a few hundred bucks, it could've saved my life. Thanks again!
:D

Moog LBJ's
Toyo open country MT 245/75/16
Transgo shift reprogramming kit
AEM brute force CAI
Flowmaster exhaust with Magnaflow tip
Thule bars and cargo box
Flux-compasater W/ 1.21 jigawatts
'92 Dodge 250 Cummins turbo diesel (DD)

Post subject: So, now it's 2009. What to do if LBJs need replace again?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:13 am 
LOST Member

Has any owner gone in to the remaining dealerships to have another recall fix on these ball joints done?
:?:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

Post subject: Re: So, now it's 2009. What to do if LBJs need replace again
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:24 am 
LOST Member

Liberty for All wrote:
Has any owner gone in to the remaining dealerships to have another recall fix on these ball joints done?
:?:
It sounds like what they give you at the dealership, as a "recall fix", isn't all that great. Some guys had to get them replaced twice. I would go with the moog's if yours are bad. They're stronger and you can grease them.

Moog LBJ's
Toyo open country MT 245/75/16
Transgo shift reprogramming kit
AEM brute force CAI
Flowmaster exhaust with Magnaflow tip
Thule bars and cargo box
Flux-compasater W/ 1.21 jigawatts
'92 Dodge 250 Cummins turbo diesel (DD)

Post subject: Ball Joints
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:04 pm 
LOST Member

Hey guys,i think my ball joints might be going out as well, do they have a horrid squek or grinding noise coming from them if you go over speed bumps and pot holes?

ARB Deluxe bumper w/ Warn 9500i
Skid plates all under
ARB On-board Air w/ Front & Rear Air Lockers
JBA 4.5 UCA's
Lots O' Lights

"If it ain't broke...it might be after i try this!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

speed bump racket typically signify a noisy sway bar

usually by the time UCA/LCA's are making that kind of racket they're trying to uninstall themselves from your vehicle

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject: Sway bar bushings
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:12 pm 
LOST Member

I suggest installing Daystar neoprene bushings which were easy and fast to install. I am happy with the liveness of the Liberty steering and the quiet ride.

:D

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

Post subject: Re: HOW TO CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Maybe newbie question, but here goes.

Does anyone know if the '07 KJs are affected by the LBJ recall? I looked up my VIN on jeep.com, all it says there are no outstanding recalls. But they also don't list the LBJ recall for any models past the 03 or 04 I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I guess if you are already lifted, then you are completely out of luck getting the dealership to do this recall work, huh?

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

LibertyCRD wrote:
I guess if you are already lifted, then you are completely out of luck getting the dealership to do this recall work, huh?

I would say no to this. Call me a victim if you like. LBJ broke loose while backing out the driveway on Monday :shock: Thank God I was not doing 75-80 on 95 when that happened, and I was just 1/2 hour before. Anyway, came on here to look for info on it and came across this thread. Did not know about the recall and never received notice of it. Long story short, Jeep dealer towed it and are taking care of it free of charge. They are also replacing the fog light because the front wheel completely smashed into it. I have a 3" lift and they did not question it at all.

I was concerned about them covering it as well but someone explained to me that it is a recall situation verses a warranty condition. IOW - they had to replace them anyway.

Here is a pic as it was loaded on to the tow truck:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:29 am 
LOST Member

I just had my LBJ's on my '05 Renne replaced with MOOG K3199's. None of the dealerships around here (Asheville NC) were willing to install those under the recall. I called DC and the first person I spoke with ran my VIN, told me was elligible under the recall to have the LBJ's replaced and that there should be no problem having a dealership install the MOOG's; and that I would be sent a copy of the recall notice to take with me to ANY Jeep delearship. After calling another dealership in the area to scedule installation of my LBJ's, they too, turned me down. Again I called DC, and was told that dealerships cannot install aftermarket parts. I have since paid a Midas to install the ball joints. I've seen the recall notice online, and according to what it says, if you have already paid to have the LBJ's replaced you can send your receipts to DC for reimbursement. Has anyone gone through this route to be reimbursed for installation of ball joints? I deffintely would like to have DC reimburse me. Anyone's comments would be appreciated.

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Jeepin'WNC wrote:
I just had my LBJ's on my '05 Renne replaced with MOOG K3199's. None of the dealerships around here (Asheville NC) were willing to install those under the recall. I called DC and the first person I spoke with ran my VIN, told me was elligible under the recall to have the LBJ's replaced and that there should be no problem having a dealership install the MOOG's; and that I would be sent a copy of the recall notice to take with me to ANY Jeep delearship. After calling another dealership in the area to scedule installation of my LBJ's, they too, turned me down. Again I called DC, and was told that dealerships cannot install aftermarket parts. I have since paid a Midas to install the ball joints. I've seen the recall notice online, and according to what it says, if you have already paid to have the LBJ's replaced you can send your receipts to DC for reimbursement. Has anyone gone through this route to be reimbursed for installation of ball joints? I deffintely would like to have DC reimburse me. Anyone's comments would be appreciated.

That is my question aswell I am scheduled to have the work done for both lower and upper recalls for my 03' renegade with 89k on Jan. 22nd 2011 but would love to have Moogs put in. I guess I could pay another shop to do the Moogs and send the bill to Jeep as posted on the Jeep's owners recall info page has anyone done this?? Anyways I may just have them do it for free and upgrade when I do a lift and replace the upper control arms with Al's or another UCA upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:23 am 
LOST Newbie

N2DAMYSTIC wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:

I would say no to this. Call me a victim if you like. LBJ broke loose while backing out the driveway on Monday :shock: Thank God I was not doing 75-80 on 95 when that happened, and I was just 1/2 hour before. Anyway, came on here to look for info on it and came across this thread. Did not know about the recall and never received notice of it. Long story short, Jeep dealer towed it and are taking care of it free of charge. They are also replacing the fog light because the front wheel completely smashed into it. I have a 3" lift and they did not question it at all.

I was concerned about them covering it as well but someone explained to me that it is a recall situation verses a warranty condition. IOW - they had to replace them anyway.

Here is a pic as it was loaded on to the tow truck:

called the dealer the recall work has never been done according to my vin history dont have any noises or problems but this picture make me wish they were getting replaced asap..
glad nobody got hurt on that one!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:09 pm 
LOST Member

Jeepin'WNC wrote:

I know that this is dragging out an old post, but, I wanted to give an update on reimbursement from DC for LBJ repairs....After waiting for what seemend an eternity to receive the recall notice that the representative at the DC recall hotline said would be sent out to me, I called them again. This time I was told that I did not need a copy of the recall notice to send to Chrysler Customer Care. I wrote a letter to Chrysler Customer Care explaining that I had paid to have my LBJ's replaced, along with copies of my reciepts for parts and labor. I mailed that out on Feb. 25, and kept my original reciepts, along with a copy of the letter I wrote, and a copy of the sealed evnelope with a dated cancellation mark from the Postal Service. (A little perk of being a Postal worker is having the cancelled letter in hand, before you put it into the mail-stream.) I got a phone call from Chrysler Customer Care about a week and a half later saying that my case had been reviewed and approved for reimbursement, and that I should recieve a check in approximately two to three weeks. On March 14th I received a check reimbursing me for the entire amount that I spent having the LBS's replaced.

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

Post subject: Re: HOW TO CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS. and get satisfaction
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:52 pm 
LOST Member

Good for you doing the documentation for the repair.
We owners should be active and vocal about demanding product reliability and safety.
I want Moog joints on my Liberty and should not pay for the labor to install them or any part which is defective! :furious:

Post subject: HOW TO CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:24 am 
Are the LBJs still an issue with the '08+ KK jeeps?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanx for the tip on this weak point. Just checked the joints and they are snug. With 154k I'm guessing these to have been replaced not long ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

Last fall on my 04 KJ I replaced my UCA's with modified ones from Jeepin by Al's and last week I replaced the tie rods.
But I've noticed a rattle on the passenger's side.
I too suspected my lower ball joints but there doesn't seem to be any play in the wheels.

Could it possibly be bad struts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:38 am 
LOST Addict

I just checked mine because i seem to be getting a pretty bad clunk when going between forward and reverse(and vice versa). I had no play, i was able to use the bar to move the tire but could see the a-arms moving up and down too. There was zero slop in the wheel. I am not sure whats making all the noise. Maybe the driveshafts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next