It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Liberty Lift FAQ / please read before asking questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

LumberJaq wrote:
Is there a combination of spacers for the rear end that will net me and extra half inch over stock without having to stack OEM spacers?

I have seen where people have added an extra OEM spacer but I do not think that is a safe way of going about this. Am I wrong? My concern is that the spacers will come out of alignment or even break because they were never intended to be stacked.

Edit: I believe I asked this in the wrong thread. Could a Moderator please move it to the official lift thread?

Over 200k using that method on my KJs. No problems. The spacers are rubber type material. And the upper bumpstop mount will hold them into alignment. I dont see the promblem, been done for years.

But if your worried, spend the money and get taller springs.

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:55 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

4x4kayak2112 wrote:
LumberJaq wrote:
Is there a combination of spacers for the rear end that will net me and extra half inch over stock without having to stack OEM spacers?

I have seen where people have added an extra OEM spacer but I do not think that is a safe way of going about this. Am I wrong? My concern is that the spacers will come out of alignment or even break because they were never intended to be stacked.

Edit: I believe I asked this in the wrong thread. Could a Moderator please move it to the official lift thread?

Over 200k using that method on my KJs. No problems. The spacers are rubber type material. And the upper bumpstop mount will hold them into alignment. I dont see the promblem, been done for years.

But if your worried, spend the money and get taller springs.

What he said, hundreds of lifted KJs out there running two extra per side isolators without any issues at all, no worries....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:29 am 
LOST Newbie

So the upper bump stop holds them in place, makes sense. Thanks everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Aloha Guys,

I promise, I have read everything on this forum about my jeep in preparation for a lift, still I have some concerns... I would welcome everyone's comments about my particular situation.

Last year I scored a 2004 liberty with only 15k on it (long story) It is a spare vehicle that I use when company visits the island and on rare excursions down to the Waipio valley. The vehicle is maybe driven 5000 miles a year and perhaps a few hundred of those are off road. The problem are the rocks here. The original owner had factory skid plates installed everywhere under the vehicle and I bang them on every rock larger than a grapefruit. It is embarrassing and annoying.

All I want is a few inches but unfortunately I cannot put any larger tires under the vehicle without a lift. The tires have plenty of tread left but are 11 years old and the rubber is not what it used to be, I want new tires but don't want to buy new tires that are still too small... Hence the need for a lift.

I don't mind spending a little money on the vehicle and would be comfortable putting $1000 into the lift (my mechanic will probably get most of that) Because shipping to the middle of the pacific is prohibitively expensive I keep looking at the daystar spacer lift because amazon will ship it for free. I just really hate doing stuff cheap. However, it seems my only other alternative is a Silver kit from JBA for $2200 and hundreds more in shipping.

My question to all of you is: Is there no middle ground? With my limited use of the vehicle will the spacers be adequate?

Mahalo plenty,

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:48 pm 

bigkahunaguy wrote:
Aloha Guys,

I promise, I have read everything on this forum about my jeep in preparation for a lift, still I have some concerns... I would welcome everyone's comments about my particular situation.

Last year I scored a 2004 liberty with only 15k on it (long story) It is a spare vehicle that I use when company visits the island and on rare excursions down to the Waipio valley. The vehicle is maybe driven 5000 miles a year and perhaps a few hundred of those are off road. The problem are the rocks here. The original owner had factory skid plates installed everywhere under the vehicle and I bang them on every rock larger than a grapefruit. It is embarrassing and annoying.

All I want is a few inches but unfortunately I cannot put any larger tires under the vehicle without a lift. The tires have plenty of tread left but are 11 years old and the rubber is not what it used to be, I want new tires but don't want to buy new tires that are still too small... Hence the need for a lift.

I don't mind spending a little money on the vehicle and would be comfortable putting $1000 into the lift (my mechanic will probably get most of that) Because shipping to the middle of the pacific is prohibitively expensive I keep looking at the daystar spacer lift because amazon will ship it for free. I just really hate doing stuff cheap. However, it seems my only other alternative is a Silver kit from JBA for $2200 and hundreds more in shipping.

My question to all of you is: Is there no middle ground? With my limited use of the vehicle will the spacers be adequate?

Mahalo plenty,

Jay

What do you mean by middle ground?
There are plenty of options, not sure why you are only looking at Daystar ( which is junk) and JBA coilovers. Have you missed the OME whic gives you 2.5 inches of real lift over new stock height or Ironman which gives you 2.25 inches without extras added

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I like the idea of springs but am having trouble even getting quotes on the shipping. I agree that spacers are bad idea but it is starting to look like they will be about 90% cheaper then springs. I am also concerned about the upper control arm angles. If I have to start replacing those too this quest for another inch or two of clearance starts to become unmanageable.

Just heard back from Ironman and they want $800 for springs and shocks and $300 for shipping....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK4WD has the OME lift with free shipping....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks but "Within the continental US" I am in Hawaii. I'll give them a call tomorrow but it usually doesn't go well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Here is a 1 inch lift for under $100

Get eight 2 inch conduit nuts from local hardware store. Install 4 under each front strut as clevis spacers.
Get 4 rear spring isolators, 2 upper and 2 lower. Add them to the top and bottom of each rear spring.

This will allow you to install 245-75r-16 tires.
But...

You will still have some tire rubbing issues.
So, cut and hammer flat the pinch weld area behind each front tire.
And use a heat gun to soften and reform areas of the inner fender liner.

Some folks have issues with front tires rubbing, some dont. Treat as needed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wow, That's pretty MacGyver! If I were retired and had a garage full of tools I would try just that :-) Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

twowings wrote:
OK4WD has the OME lift with free shipping....

$200 in shipping :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:14 am 
LOST Junkie

With mileage that low, bite the bullet and get the "real" lift. You'll probably get your money back out of it should you sell it down the road. How many low-mileage lifted Liberty's can there be on the island? Someone will want it.

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:27 am 
LOST Newbie

profdlp wrote:
With mileage that low, bite the bullet and get the "real" lift. You'll probably get your money back out of it should you sell it down the road. How many low-mileage lifted Liberty's can there be on the island? Someone will want it.

Good advice. Working on springs and shocks, hopefully someone will offer reasonable shipping. If not I may have to put them in a suitcase the next time I visit the mainland.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

http://postimg.org/image/44jvoey5l/

Finally got her done. Ironman springs and shocks. Mayhem patriot 8080 17 x 8 wheels with 5.5" backspacing. 265/65 cooper AT3 tires. Had to pound the pinch welds over and looks like a little plastic may need trimming in the wells. The upper arms are maxed out but still functioning fine. I'll get the aftermarket arms when they give me any sign of trouble. At 4000 miles a year it may be a while.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yikes - you got it lifted alright! Looks good! :D

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:28 am 
LOST Newbie

profdlp wrote:
Yikes - you got it lifted alright! Looks good! :D

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok guys.. after years of running a bagged out stock suspension. .im finally going to do some work on my 2006 liberty.. what i have so far is :
Ironman front and rear +40mm performance springs
Rancho RS5764 front struts
Rancho RS5248 rear shocks

Now is there anything im forgetting before i rip this thing apart?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well here it is.. ironman springs and rancho shocks.. also made up a bracket to raise the boomerang off the diff.. 21.5" from hub center to fender

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:27 pm 
LOST Member

Can someone post the stock center hub to fender heights (front and rear) for a Liberty CRD. I have a 2005 with what I guess is an OME lift but I'm not sure. It was on there when I bought it. I want to learn my height to see if I can go 3/4 higher to help clear the wheels.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:45 pm 
LOST Addict

A stock 05 CRD should be about 19 inches.
Most CRDs with a OME 2.5" lift are about 21.5 inches.