It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Superwinch Epi9.0S in ARB?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:05 pm 
LOST Addict

does anybody know if this will fit in an ARB bumper? can it be mounted in the "foot-forward" position? and if it DOES fit, will the integrated selenoids matter if they are on their side, since the winch will be mounted 90*?

or will i have to go with the EP9.0 with the wire rope and the remote selenoid box?

im hoping troy will know this

thanks,
Ray

here is the ep9.0
http://www.superwinch.com/EP9_0_9_000_lbs.html
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-09032/

and here is the EPi9.0S
http://www.superwinch.com/EPi9_0S_9_000_lbs.html
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-09034SR/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:32 pm 
LOST Member

Don't think it will fit. I have a M8000 and the solenoid has to be mounted outside the bumper. The winch fits so snug inside that its hard to turn the release lever.

245/75/R16 Dunlop A/Ts on Procomp Soft 8s
A few lights and performance mods.

http://www.alphaomegaoffroad.com

Post subject: Re: Superwinch Epi9.0S in ARB?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RAYMAN975 wrote:
does anybody know if this will fit in an ARB bumper? can it be mounted in the "foot-forward" position? and if it DOES fit, will the integrated selenoids matter if they are on their side, since the winch will be mounted 90*?

or will i have to go with the EP9.0 with the wire rope and the remote selenoid box?

im hoping troy will know this

thanks,
Ray

here is the ep9.0
http://www.superwinch.com/EP9_0_9_000_lbs.html
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-09032/

and here is the EPi9.0S
http://www.superwinch.com/EPi9_0S_9_000_lbs.html
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-09034SR/
Niether will work in the ARB for a KJ.The winch needs to have a removable soliniod pack because it has to be mounted outside the bumper(on top).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:33 pm 
LOST Member

The instructions talk about remote mounting the solenoid pack. Is it removable on the EP9 ?

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 pm 
LOST Addict

yes, i bought the winch last night after reading about being able to "remote mount" the selenoid box. Superwinch does sell a "kit" for remote mounting the box, its 50 bucks, but itll take till the 19th of October to get it, so ill make my own

i have the box taken apart from the winch, i just need to figure out if i want the box in the engine bay, or on the cover plate of the ARB, and then buy the 2gauge wire at the appropriate length for the 3 main wires from the box to the winch.

ill take pics this weekend when i install it and figure everything out where i want it.

i figure it will be fine in the engine bay, if i do need to use the winch, i can easily pop the hood and plug in the controller, and close the hood with one click shut, but not totally shut

and the winch i got was the Superwinch EP9.0, i would have loved to have the EPi9.0S, but theres no way it would fit in the ARB bumper, i had it ordered, but canceled the order and got this one instead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I believe last years model works. Also, the LP8500 would work. My guess is the EP9.0 would work but you would have to relocate the solenoid box which is likely only bolted onto the winch. You would need to extend the cables from the solenoid box to the winch. Perhaps they make a relocation kit. That one looks similar to my winch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:55 pm 
LOST Addict

i might put the box on my bumper, but ill consider it in the engine bay, probably will end up in the engine bay, as the box itself isnt watertight at all, not sure if the electronics inside are watersealed somehow or not, could be, but who knows.

Last edited by RAYMAN975 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I heard that's how a lot of solenoids get killed. I would like to relocate mine under the hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:09 pm 
LOST Addict

i "think" the EPi series winches have watertight electronics in that integrated piece above the winch, but not sure.

thats what im thinking too, itll get much less weather under the hood, less mud, wont get totally submerged ever, itll get wet, but wont get submerged nearly as it would on the front bumper.

ill have to find a good spot under the hood for it, probably on the passenger side so i dont have to make the wires any longer than they need to be, and chances are thats the only good spot to mount it anyways. im thinking 2gauge should be plenty, i searched google for mounting solenoid boxes under the hood, and it seems to work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:20 pm 
LOST Addict

well i found a good spot for the solenoid block in the engine bay, only place possible as far as i could tell. ill post pics tomorrow. im aiming for this weekend to have the winch mounted, unless i get real anxious and do it after work this week :)

where i have the solenoid box mounted, behind the airbox, im guessing its approximately 4.5 feet of wire to go from the winch motor, to the solenoid box, for the 3 wires(white, blue and yellow). what gauge would you recommend troy? will 2gauge fine? the long ground and the long positive power wire that came with the winch is 2 gauge. or since the 3 wires running from the winch to the box is about 4.5 feet, is that too long for 2 gauge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:34 pm 
LOST Addict

dont know if this is too late to help or not. i took my winch box apart and cut a big hole in the cover that covers holes in the ARB.. ran my wires down the big hole and then bolted the box to the cover.. worked out extremely well then i cut off 1/3 of the cover so i still leaves access to the winch engage lever. i bought my bumper used and it didnt have the winch box bracket... or anything to accommodate the winch for that matter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

It should go right in after you clock the cltuch handle. Super's are a pain but doable.

Used to have: 02 Rene w/ SFA Swap. Sold... I'll miss her
New Baby is an 07 1500 Dodge HEMI
6" Lift and lots O Go Fast parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:48 pm 
LOST Addict

yea it was a pain, but very much worth it! ill take pics tomorrow

yea i had to clock the clutch handle at an angle, not straight up, but not facing the radiator either, just right :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:00 am 
LOST Addict

2006 how did you mount your fogs on that there bumper?
When I get my steel bumper, I want to keep my stock renny fogs b/c I think they look badass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:47 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Good Looking install Ray !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:29 pm 
LOST Addict

there are holes there in the ARB bumpers, as well as light tabs on top of the "Bar" on the bumper too

thanks Tom!

oh and just a heads up, the footprint on the superwinch EP9.0 is too big for the ARB.

if you look at the inside of the ARB, where the winch bolts to, there a second thicker piece of metal, doubled up to the "skin" of the ARB, so the winch area is stronger. well that part at the top has a 90* bend, and the bottom has a 45* bend going/heading underneath the bumper, and the footprint(long width of the winch doesnt matter, its the DEPTH that makes it not fit) of the winch is barely too wide to fit in there and sit flat against the mounting surface. so you need to add about 3/8" or 1/2" strong thick spacers in there to let it bolt flat against the front of the bumper. i didnt want to grind a 45* corner off the foot, because thats the main mounting of the winch where the square nuts fit inside, and didnt want to take off any material, and didnt really want to cut the bumper either

you could probably use washers, but i had solid steel spacers to use instead

if you dont have an ARB bumper, you wont have a clue what im talking about, but those that do have one, can look inside and see what im talking about :P

its not a big deal at all, just a heads up that the footprint was a tiny bit too big and wont fit perfect. but the bolt holes lined up perfect and all that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I love my Superwinch EPi9.0S. :D

Good choice. 8)