It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Promotional pic for Boulder Bars?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:21 pm 
LOST Member

Ok, I was at the 4WD Hardware Jamboree today and did their obstacle course. The first part of it was a bunch of telephone poles layed on the ground in various patterns.. I went over them fine, but at one point dropped down on one of them.. not real far but enough to make some noise and make the audience cringe.. I personally didn't think anything of it, as I have rock rails, so no big deal right? Well, after I finished the rest of the course I get out and see this:

So, Quinn,, you can use this for an add for Boulderbars if ya like! And you've got a new order coming in for a pair.. I hope they aren't back-ordered since, as you can see, my stock MOPAR ones are SHOT!

Edit: Quinn, I just noticed your website says theres some modifications needed to put the BBs on an '05.. could ya fill me in on the details there before I order? Thanks!

On a side note,.. the next part of the course was a nice little hill that dropped off into a deep mud pit.. there was a stock Wrangler Rubicon just ahead of me who first got caught at the top of the hill and then had to be winched out of the pit.. to the amazement of the audience I walked right through it.. darn that feels good. Now. what's that address again?? Oh yes,.. www.boulderbars.com

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey man nice shot! :shock: No damage to the undercarriage/pinch weld is there?

-Lance

"I'm a curb conquerer!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow, great post. There have been posts in the past where people suggested that OEM bars were "good enough". I was skeptical, but tried not to be too harsh. I think your experience proves that you should really have strong bars for ANY kind of offroading.

I was there at Moab when the right side of Signcutter's KJ dropped about 2 feet onto a rock, and his Boulder Bars took ALL of the punishment (AFAIK). If you looked closely, you could tell that it had been hammered pretty hard, but his rocker panel would have been crushed if he'd had OEM bars.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:21 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I have to say....I was one of the frustrated people that had to battle the posts about how the stock bars were just fine ...blahh...blaaahh blahhhh, I finally just gave up.

I'm glad you didn't have any damage to your KJ...and I have to take this oppertunity to say.

SEE......I TOLD YOU GUYS THE STOCKERS WERE WEAK....NO ARMOR EXCEPT THE ENGINE SKID IS WORTH A CR# P

ok...I feel better now. :D

The next picture Im waiting for is the "05 Transmission skid carnage shot.....it's lurking...I know it. Any skid plate you can hold with one hand...is a P.O.S.

Last edited by jpzkj on Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:26 pm 
LOST Member

Adam,

That's a great pic! :shock: Glad you didn't damage anything other than the stock rail.

Great choice on getting some proven rocker protection.

Later,
J

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jpzkj wrote:
The next picture Im waiting for is the "05 Transmission skid carnage shot.....it's lurking...I know it. Any skid plate you can hold with one hand...is a P.O.S.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I've run some pretty knarly trails with no tranny protection at all, and I have no regrets. The only obstacle I've ever shied away from was Easter Egg Hill. The transmission pan is tucked away high enough that, at least at Moab (where rocks are large and stationary), it's unlikely to sustain serious damage.

I went ahead and got a Mopar tranny skid before Big Bear because I can buy 10 of them for the price of a single All-J skid, and I wanted protection from flying rocks. It made it through w/ nothing but a few scratches and dings (which might have been on my tranny pan otherwise). My guess is that it will be more than adequate until I can finally pony up for a REAL skid. Until then, I won't be attempting Easter Egg Hill, but at least I have a "sacrificial" skid that I can replace cheaply.

I think the Mopar tranny skid is an excellent stop-gap measure for those of us who have limited $ to spend on our KJs (because our wives won't let us get whatever we want :roll:), as long as we recognize that it ISN'T a Super Skid.

Boulder Bars are a totally different thing--it doesn't matter WHERE you go...if you're on one of Clint's "dirt roads", you're almost guaranteed to use the bars at some point...maybe dozens of times on a single trail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:28 pm 

Yeah..Yeah Thats the same kind of opinion there was about the stock rails and now what do we see ? I picture of a pretzeled set.

It seems to be working for you...so good luck with it. 8)

ps..did you get your rack yet ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:49 pm 
LOST Member

I've alway said I'd just keep the stock rails until they got to messed up.. just didn't expect it to happen all at once. They did their job.. there's no body damage, but clearly the rails are done!

Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jpzkj wrote:
ps..did you get your rack yet ?

No, Quinn posted in the Vendors section on the 15th that they'd be ready to ship in about 3 weeks. So I'm hoping that he can get mine to me around the end of August or early September.

I'm really looking forward to it...my plan is to strap all of my offroading stuff in to the rack and leave the space underneath totally clean so that I can throw softener salt, bags of ornamental bark, groceries, etc. in there without having to move stuff around.

I'd just pull my offroading stuff out and put it in my garage, but I never know when I'm going to get an itch and drive up one of the nearby canyons and try to get stuck. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

hoss75 wrote:
I've alway said I'd just keep the stock rails until they got to messed up.. just didn't expect it to happen all at once. They did their job.. there's no body damage, but clearly the rails are done!

Wow, I didn't realize those stock bars were so high tech. Isn't that what they call being designed with a "crumple zone"? :wink:

Kaboom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:07 pm 
LOST Addict

wheeling without tranny skid is asking for seriosu trouble. Just ask Karen (Liberty1). Pics of her TRASHED pan are on RRO's site I believe.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3199258

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AdamIsAdam wrote:
wheeling without tranny skid is asking for seriosu trouble. Just ask Karen (Liberty1). Pics of her TRASHED pan are on RRO's site I believe.

Well, okay, better safe than sorry, I suppose. But I've been on about 10 trails at Moab (including several 4+ trails), Gold Mountain (Big Bear), and several local trails that would rate at least 3.5 on the Moab scale, all without a tranny skid, and my tranny pan has never gotten a scratch.

Even so, I'm sure that different terrain and driving styles could have different results, so just get a skid. Preferably a Super Skid, if you plan to follow the West guys around. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:00 pm 
LOST Member

Anybody want to buy the right side MOPAR rock rail? That ones still in great shape!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:45 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Troysterr wrote:
AdamIsAdam wrote:

Well, okay, better safe than sorry, I suppose. But I've been on about 10 trails at Moab (including several 4+ trails), Gold Mountain (Big Bear), and several local trails that would rate at least 3.5 on the Moab scale, all without a tranny skid, and my tranny pan has never gotten a scratch.

Even so, I'm sure that different terrain and driving styles could have different results, so just get a skid. Preferably a Super Skid, if you plan to follow the West guys around. :shock:

While pre-running the Holcolmb Creek trail in Big Bear, my KJ slid off a rock and the tranny skid landed right on another rock. If that would have been the MOPAR skid, I can almost guarantee that it would have bent in half.

As I always say, you get what you pay for.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:23 pm 
LOST Member

What exactly does pre-running mean? I've heard it used before.. and the guy on 'Trucks!" was making a Ford Ranger into a Pre-runner, but I'm not quite sure what it means..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Prerunning is a desert race term. The bigger desert races allow competitors to "pre-run" the race course in the weeks before the race. High dollar race teams will usually use a different vehicle than their race vehicle, to avoid the potential of damaging their race vehicle just before the event, and that vehicle is their pre-runner. Some of the pre-runners are very trick. The Herbst team had a pre-runner featured in a magazine a while back that had 800 HP, 36" of front suspension travel, and 40" of rear suspension travel. It was better than most teams race vehicle.

The term "pre-running" can also be used elsewhere. I led one of the 4+ rated trails at the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab for 15 years or so, and each spring we took a trip to Moab in the month before the event to "pre-run" the trail. We needed to know what condition the trail was going to be in after the preceeding winter, hence the need to pre-run the trail.

Kaboom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:39 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the info Kaboom, very informative..
Well I went ahead and ordered the BBs.. does anyone know what mods I have to make to fit them on an '05? I"m guessing it has something to do with the plastic trim on the bottom.

Post subject: howdy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:26 pm 
This member has been Banned

Troyster is right about it being tucked high.

If you don't want a pan because of price, noise, or fit problems, you can mount a 4" wide 1/4 " thick piece of steel with mounts on each end shaped like an "I" with holes blown in it to mount with. It works real darn well. But then again, the factory skid he is talking about would be possibly cheaper than this fabrication.

Also, I believe that trans mount is built with a little flex ability ain't it ?