It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '02 Pre-Lowerd Spacer Lift Question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:32 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a P-L '02 and was wondering about a 2.5" spacer lift.

Since my '02 already has a 1" lift (in efffect), and I install a 2.5" SPACER lift. Wouldn't that yeild a 3.5" lift? (I don't know for sure, but I assume Jeep installed shorter springs to lower the "lowered" libbys). Isn't anything over 2.5" bad for your CV joints?

Also in choosing a lift... Why are the Rocky Road OTT lifts so bad. I hear posts that mention "problems" with it.... but nothing that I have found that says what the problems are???

Thanks
-->PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:24 pm 
LOST Member

The 2.5" lift standard was developed for the P-L KJs. With the lowered KJs you can lift higher about 3".

Some have had problems with the struts failing prematurely with the OTT. The upper ball joint can contact the spring and this can be very loud. You have the contact problem with all the 2.5" lifts, the only thing that changes is what hits what. This can also very by vehicle. I've only had the contact one time and no problems with the front suspension to date. However, I also have the ARB and winch upfront which took away some of the lift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah what LimitedLurker said, OTT has ball joint contact... which will cause you problems and $$.

You are right, you will gain 3+" with a spacer kit. Look into the RRO Combo Kit. It's a Puck Kit that works without ball joint contact. You'll just need new rear shocks that are longer.

The only downside to a spacer kit is it does not allow max flex due to the spring. So, I am not sure if a 2.5" Coil Kit (Or 1.5" on yours) will actually provide better articulation and therefore better offroad ability. Maybe someone else can provide some more info on this.

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

So how do I find a longer shock? Do they come in lenghts? Do I go into AutoZone and ask for a 24" shock? Or do I ask for a Liberty Shock that is longer?

Thanks

BTW I have a friend that replaced his rear pucks with a full length spring lift in the rear and he said I could have his rear 2.5" pucks. Can I buy just a front something? or do a clevis lift? or a clevis plus some OME front springs, or a clevis and that smaller OTT spacer like on the RRO Combo lift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well not sure the exact length, but some brands are Rancho, OME, Rusty.

http://www.boulderbars.com/kjproducts.htm

You can get some Rancho's from All J's, $60 ea.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merc ... sus_kj_par

(not sure if this link will work) $30/ea for Rusty rear shocks.

Not sure if your friends rear puck would work... it may require some more fabrication to fit properly on the spring assembly.

If it were me, I would do it right the first time.

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

PinchFlat, I also own a pre-lowered 02 KJ. I installed a 2.5" Daystar spacer lift and was very displeased. It gave me 3.5" of lift in the front but I the CV joints were on such an angle I did not think they would last. The worst part about it was the fact that the front rode so harshly that it was just unacceptable. Flex in the front was almost nonexistant. After 1 week I removed the spacer lift and installed a coil lift from Rusty's. I am very please with the coil lift from Rusty's. My KJ now rides like a Cadillac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oh a cadillac ride would be nice...

Is the RRO RockFather 1 a good lift? I just got off the phone with them and thay will sall me the the parts for the front lift only. (OME front spring and the small OTT spacer).

BTW I talked to my friend and the rear spacers he has are off the RRO OTT lift. So the guy at RRO said if I get the front RockFather parts I would basically have a complete RockFather 1 lift (minus the shocks).