It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How big of lift can you go on crd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi very new to the form just wondering can I get a 3inch lift kit for my 06 crd 4X4 or maybe go higher thanks

Post subject: Re: How big of lift can you go on crd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:07 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

3 inch would be pushing it
Due to the front diff being over to the left side farther than a gasser there would be way too much binding going 3 inch and higher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks so 2.5 inch is the max

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CRD's stock measurement is typically 18.5 inches from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the wheel flare. Most CRD's can easily go up to 21 inches without putting the CV joints under stress.

You can have a machinist shave the inner surface of the CV's and eliminate some binding when lift higher. Jeepinbyal.com has them for purchase for about $1000 for the pair, plus you will need new upper control arms to clearance the springs.

I recommend the OME spring lift (1.5 inch longer springs). Get most of the lift you need to fit bigger tires. You can always add one of Boiler's top plates and do a clevis lift to give you the max height possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:05 am 
LOST Addict

A 2.5" lift will clear the biggest tires the front diff can safely turn anyway.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

so the clevis lift is safe for off roading ? am I able to 1/2 inch clevis lift I have 2inch spacers im just doing this till I buy some ome springs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:15 am 
LOST Addict

My lift plans were for ome spring lift and Boilers top plates and no clevis. I beleive we talked about this in a thread I started months ago. Go OME and do it the best way the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:54 pm 
LOST Addict

I've got a OME CRD lift, clevis lift, and top plates... no issues... and I clear 265/75's with no trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:04 pm 
LOST Addict

durangotang wrote:
I've got a OME CRD lift, clevis lift, and top plates... no issues... and I clear 265/75's with no trouble.

What's your measurement from the center of your wheel hubs to the bottom lip of the fender flares?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bugnout wrote:
CRD's stock measurement is typically 18.5 inches from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the wheel flare. Most CRD's can easily go up to 21 inches without putting the CV joints under stress.

You can have a machinist shave the inner surface of the CV's and eliminate some binding when lift higher. Jeepinbyal.com has them for purchase for about $1000 for the pair, plus you will need new upper control arms to clearance the springs.

I recommend the OME spring lift (1.5 inch longer springs). Get most of the lift you need to fit bigger tires. You can always add one of Boiler's top plates and do a clevis lift to give you the max height possible.

I am thinking of getting those axles from Al's, even the standard ones shaved down are over $600. It seems a bit steep just to machine off 3/8-1/2". Seems like I could take my stock ones to a machinist. Where does the extra need to be shaved off? Anyone have a photo?

I currently have the OME790 springs on the gasser Frankenlift, plus Boiler's plates in the front. In the rear, I have the OME springs and shocks from the Frankie lift, but I got rid of the isolators and replaced it with the 2" poly spacer. I had to extend the rear brake line, but it was cool. The three isolators were around 1.5" so I only added a total of 0.5" Anyway, this works perfect-ish on the gas model, but seems like I need to have the shaved CV for the front of the CRD for this to work out to prevent all the binding.

I plan to run 265/75R16s Goodyear Duratracs on the CRD, I only have the 245/75R16 currently.

05 CRD Limited- Frankie IIP Lift w/spacer JBA 6" springs in rear- ProComp Street Lock steel wheels - ARB Bumper- Warn M8000 w/Synthetic Line- RRO Rails/Roof Rack- 2300W Power Inverter- 4.10 gears w/ARB Air Lockers F&R- JBA A-Arms- Viar Air Compressor/Tank- RL Super Skink Sliders-JBA Steel D30S Front Diff, Non-shiny new Paint, OD Green

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:10 am 

Have to remember that the CRD front diff sits over to the left more than a gasser which means a shorter CV on that side ( drivers). That is why you can not lift a CRD as high as a gasser without CV problems or shaved CVs