It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty brake advice or techniques
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:56 pm 
LOST Member

I have not done a brake pad replacement yet. Anyone have pointers for do it yourselfers? For example, brand quality, instal procedures, good way to bleed after installing, best tools to use.
Can anyone answer if the rear disc brakes are self adjusting on my 2005 Sport? Can they be adjusted by tapping the pedal several times while backing up like is done with drums?
:?:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

Post subject: Re: Liberty brake advice or techniques
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm 
LOST Member

Your rear disc brakes really don't adjust, past the fact that they slide of course. They operate the same as the front. The parking brake is a drum brake which is adjustable. But odds are you're not gonna need to mess with them. If you're just doing a pad swap, there isnt really a need to break the system so no bleeding should be necessary.

Skid Row engine skid
Skid Row gas tank skid
Hella 500s

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Personally I like the Napa Adaptive One pads and Ultra premium rotors. To replace them, take the old ones off, then put the new ones on.. If you know how to turn a wrench its that easy on a KJ.. That is unless youve let everything rust on during the salty months of winter. My rotors practically fall off when I take the calipers off.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:02 pm 
LOST Addict

It is super easy to do, hell yesterday I gravity bleed my brakes. At first it is intimidating but it is really pretty simple. I honestly do not remember which pads I have on mine...I got them from Autozone... :) Just make sure you turn your rotors or you could have some issues down the road.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:28 pm 
LOST Member

Thank you for the response and info. So, I can just push the slave cylinder pistons back a little with my fingers or should I use C-clamps?
Take off the Master cylinder top and check the fluid? I have been informed that it is good practice to flush brake fluid every few years because
of moisture build up.
Anyone have personal recommendations for better than economy brand pads?
:?:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

you can either use c-clamp or a flathead screw driver with the calipers/old pads still installed, it usually doesn't take much fiddling around for someone to realize on most non-screw piston calipers you can work a pry tool (screw driver, prybar head etc) between the pad and rotor, or the non piston side of the caliper and either pull or push, depending on the side, the piston to its rearward position

just take care to keep the screw driver away from the piston boots etc and allow the old pad to take the abuse and not the piston

it's by far one of the quickest and easiest methods

once you work the piston in about 1/16th you can usually get a pry surface on the outboard portion of the caliper and just pull it towards you

grease your caliper bolts and replace bolt boots and sliders if applicable, it's only a few bucks more

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Liberty for All wrote:
So, I can just push the slave cylinder pistons back a little with my fingers?

Perhaps, you have your Wheaties today? I use a c-clamp and a piece of wood personally but to each their own.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.