It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transfer Case Improper Function?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So about a week ago, I went up above the treeline to help drag out another Jeep from some nasty snow. The drifts up there were thigh deep on the trail. An XJ and a Toyota stayed up top as an achor team while me and a buddy with a TJ on 35s (locked, no winch) went down the 800M the extract. My buddy had on front chains and I had all around on my 32s.

Going down was pretty rough as we had to dig, drive and winch all the way. We then got the stuck Jeep loose and started back up. We basically had to leap frog the three Jeeps up. Two of us had winches, all three were locked and two had 35s then my sad little 32s.

I was doing pretty well until I hit about 4 feet of drift. I bottomed out in the snow, but then something odd happened. I 4-lo, locked front and rear, only the rears spun. They spun even in gear idling and the front refused to do anything at all. I tried unlocking and moving into various modes (4-part, 4-full, 4-lo). 4-Lo was out of it, but 4-part seemed to apply some torque to the front. Even then, it appeared not to be fully locked in the front.

I have not had time, or desire to put it up on a rack and see if there is transfer, but shifting into 4-lo in dirt seems to be ok.

Is it possible the xfer case failed in that gear? Is it belt/chain driven or only fluid? Could it have overheated and not transferred power up front?

We all got stuck, but it was pretty embarrassing taking out the little girl with other non-KJs and it just SUCKING so badly. Makes me wish I had opted for a new Rubicon. I've been so pissed at her that she just sat there for about two weeks untouched and unloved. Trash.

Anybody have some insight on this? It's an 05 CRD with a 3.5" (or so) OME lift with ARB front and rear with 4.10s and JBAs steel front diff. I would think it would not suck so damned badly with all that, brand new Duratracs and full chains.

Thanks

05 CRD Limited- Frankie IIP Lift w/spacer JBA 6" springs in rear- ProComp Street Lock steel wheels - ARB Bumper- Warn M8000 w/Synthetic Line- RRO Rails/Roof Rack- 2300W Power Inverter- 4.10 gears w/ARB Air Lockers F&R- JBA A-Arms- Viar Air Compressor/Tank- RL Super Skink Sliders-JBA Steel D30S Front Diff, Non-shiny new Paint, OD Green

Post subject: Re: Transfer Case Improper Function?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your NV242 Select-Trac transfer case is chain driven. You sure it was transfer case issue and not a locker issue? Wonder if you got some condensation in the lines and it froze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, the front wasn't turning at all in 4-lo, neither pass or driver side. The rear was turning slow while at idle, just slipping away.

If it's chain drive, how is it possible for the front to not engage in 4-lo?

05 CRD Limited- Frankie IIP Lift w/spacer JBA 6" springs in rear- ProComp Street Lock steel wheels - ARB Bumper- Warn M8000 w/Synthetic Line- RRO Rails/Roof Rack- 2300W Power Inverter- 4.10 gears w/ARB Air Lockers F&R- JBA A-Arms- Viar Air Compressor/Tank- RL Super Skink Sliders-JBA Steel D30S Front Diff, Non-shiny new Paint, OD Green

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PathFinder7 wrote:
Well, the front wasn't turning at all in 4-lo, neither pass or driver side. The rear was turning slow while at idle, just slipping away.

If it's chain drive, how is it possible for the front to not engage in 4-lo?

The locking sgrag in your t-case blew rendering you in "full time" 4wd(normal 2wd) in any selection even when not in full time 4wd.Very common issue in it's beefier brother the AMG242 used in newer H1's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

On the 242 the shift lever pushes against a spring - if there's any difference in the front to rear wheel speed - the spring won't engage the 4wd

difference includes front/rear mismatched tires or pressures.

The lever will stay in 4wd position - but 4wd low or part time is not engaged

normally Full time 4wd will engage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No diff in tires or pressure. Front and rear are near new Duratrac 235/85 running about 20 PSI.

Any way to test this without taking it apart? If it is what you said Troy is it better to attempt to replace that part or should I find me a used or rebuilt xfer case?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:56 pm 
LOST Member

replace with a 231 and never look back.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

XJMA wrote:
replace with a 231 and never look back.

I've got one of those laying around also with the shifter :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The 231 does not have full time 4wd right? What benefit does it have over the 242?

Of course you have one of those Troy. You're likely to be my supplier for OEM equipment that I break. Send me a PM with what you want for it and I'll see if it works out for me. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PathFinder7 wrote:
The 231 does not have full time 4wd right? What benefit does it have over the 242?

Of course you have one of those Troy. You're likely to be my supplier for OEM equipment that I break. Send me a PM with what you want for it and I'll see if it works out for me. Thanks!!

Yep you loose the fulltime 4wd option but it is a direct shift t-case without the problems that the 242 t-case has.

Oh and sending PM.