It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cooper's Jeep Build
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:31 am 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:
If your KJ has the 3.73s, regearing will be a waste of money and time because you can only go .37 lower maximum. The KJ isn't like the solid axle Jeeps where you can go 4.56 or 4.88 and actually see significant improvement. Most people going from 3.73 to 4.11 in the KJ won't even know it happened. If you do, you must have a 6th sense.

WOOHOO I have a 6th sense

and it makes a huge difference, from someone who has switched to someone who only thinks he knows :ROTFL:

Don't know who you are talking about, but I've done more gear swaps on Jeeps than most of the KJ members on this forum combined. :roll: And I'm telling you right now, if you think 3.73 to 4.11 is a HUGE difference then you REALLY need to try doing a real gear swap and go to 4.56 or 4.88. THEN you will start to actually see a difference. I would never even waste my time going from 3.73 to 4.11. I mean, that's like 100 RPM difference. Not detectable to the average bear.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:32 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Well I've been swapping out gears for over 30 years, have taken ones from 3.50-3.55s to 4.88s / 5.13s so I know the difference gears can make when going to larger tires.
BUT no matter what the 3.7s have an area ( sweet spot) that they like to run in, keeping them in that range allows them to run their best, and 4.10s does help do that. Plus its more than 100 RPMs, not sure where you pulled that number from but its more than that. Oh wait I do know where you got that :ROTFL:
I wish there would of been a way to of taken 10 people for a ride before I switched mine and then after, 10 out of 10 would of agreed that it made a big difference, well unless one of them was you no matter if you would of noticed a difference you would argue there was not! :wink:
I know you'll argue the point, but I know for sure :wink: you can only assume

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

I HAVE to believe that when numerous people say that their jeep ran like a SLUG because of bigger tires, racks, bumpers, ect and then ran LIKE NEW because of dropping gears to 4.10s that it is true. It's not a placebo :wink: this magic pill actually works. However, I guess I won't know its true power until I weigh mine down so much that its worth switching gears. Till then I attend rev. Mudd's sunday morning services :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:
I'm still running 245/75's, and will continue to do so for at least another year or so (until the MT/R's I have are toast). My switch to 4.10's happened a little over 2 weeks ago... and I did notice the difference right away after regearing.

Was it a HUGE difference that others report? No, it wasn't. BUT, I'm also not running 265/75's like some of the others. I assume that's the major reason I don't feel it's that much of an improvement. I do notice more "get up and go" off the line. And while I have noticed a little bit of a fuel mileage improvement from cruising around town, I lose some of that on the interstate/highway drives.

My reason for regearing was because I needed to the have the pinion bearing in the front differential replaced anyway - I didn't see the sense of opening everything up, and not upgrading, to a degree (too bad a locker wasn't in the budget :banghead: ).

I suppose what I'm saying (from my own personal experience) is... if you run a larger tire (comparable to 265/75) with 3.73's before you go to 4.10's, you'll notice a bigger change with the regear. If you're running something like 245/75's with 3.73's before going to 4.10's, you'll notice a less-dramatic change... but you do notice it, nonetheless.

Yep you will feel just a little less due to you having the 45RFE trans,if you had the 42RLE trans you would have noticed a much bigger difference.

I know my KJ's 3.7 liked to spin at about 2800rpm's on the highway,with 265/75's I had to do 85mph or more to get in that sweet spot as the engine would only run about 2400rpms with 3.73's and lugged badly.After the 4.10 install the engine would turn 2700-2800rpms at 78mph and all was happy.Now running 35" tires and 5.13 gears I'm right back in that 2800rpm sweet spot at 65mph.The slower speed does not concern me as 65mph is plenty fast enough with 35" tires anyways and caster angle comes into play big time at those speeds with 35" tires and I have to set my caster for front pinion angle as rotating the inner C's is a job that I don't want to ever do.Plus the caster angles I'm running now make for very easy turning at low speeds but can be down right scary above 75mph.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:42 pm 
LOST Addict

When I switched to 32" tires, my MPGs dropped 4-6 mpgs and my tranny was constantly downshifting to maintain speed on the freeway. When I re-geared, I got back 3MPG and no more downshifting on the freeway.

It's a huge difference to the serious enthusiast.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

Off topic, but JL are you still palnning on selling the kj? :?

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:25 am 
LOST Addict

CoopaTroopa wrote:

After Pastafari I will put it on the market and see what happens.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thats really a shame JL you have a nice kj! Any thoughts of helping out lost members with some of your parts :-)r
On another note has anyone seen these? http://detoursusa.com/c3r.php Didn't know if any one had used them yet...I'm guessing I would need to do some serious trimming to the bumper for it to work though :SOMBRERO: Worth it or should I save the money for something better like RL's bumper or custom?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JL Rockies wrote:
CoopaTroopa wrote:

After Pastafari I will put it on the market and see what happens.

Hey dont feel bad. I might be joining you. I lost my job back in January and gas is killing me. I have one more yr of college left then I'll be out looking for a job. And rebuilding my jeep collection :twisted: I've been looking real hard at a LOADED 2006 Mazda 6. If I can sell my KJ myself I'll get more money than trading in. Might have enough to buy a 4cyl 5spd TJ :mrgreen: :twisted: STOCK OF COURSE!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

TOMORROW IS THE FIRST DAY OF APRIL!!!!!!!Do you know what that means???!!! :twisted: :JEEPIN: :BANANA: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:28 pm 

Going through some old stuff last night and came across some things on gear changes, now of course this does not take in the differences in out trannys but this is info i used to use
with 3.73 gears
29 inch tire rpm 2809
30 inch tire rpm 2715
31 inch tire rpm 2628
32 inch tire rpm 2546
now with 4.10s
29, rpm 3095
30, rpm 2992
31, rpm 2896
32, 2805
mmmm with 32s its very close to the same rpm as stock and 29 inch tires
imagine that :shock: of course with the extra weight we add, etc. looks like 31's and 4.10's would be real good.
Of course some will argue the information but that's why we love America! :JEEPIN: :ROTFL:
Just adding some extra things to the pot
:POPCORN:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

ok checked the calendar... tomorrow is ACTUALLY the first day of April!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:52 pm 
LOST Addict

CoopaTroopa wrote:
TOMORROW IS THE FIRST DAY OF APRIL!!!!!!!Do you know what that means???!!! :twisted: :JEEPIN: :BANANA: 8)

<sigh>...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

with JCR's new sliders out I may be buying a set while they still have a 15% discount. Hmmmm decisions decisions. I'd hate to have to pay to repair body damage later sooo :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:02 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

good call on the 15% off

maybe when the time comes ill guine pig mine to them for a bumper

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

STINGN wrote:
good call on the 15% off

I live closer and will beat ya there :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:04 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

BugginKJ wrote:
STINGN wrote:
good call on the 15% off

you already got your front bumper!

and chicago is actually 2 miles closer :goink:

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

STINGN wrote:
BugginKJ wrote:
STINGN wrote:
good call on the 15% off

you already got your front bumper!

and chicago is actually 2 miles closer :goink:

:ROTFL: One can always use two :goink:
Chicago (the great city that birthed Buggin) 2 miles closer to the Zoo(that's Kalamazoo for ya out a towners) in MI ?!?!?!?! I am right at the Ohio,MI border, just a short jaunt up 23 for me. I could have a bumper made, install it and be at the bar before ya roll into town :goink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:16 am 
LOST Junkie

Just trying to think of something to do to the liberty so it isn't ignored :( In two weekends i might do the liberator style door handles... got the idea of placing some bolts in the hole from a topic on here too. After that who knows! :BANANA:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CoopaTroopa wrote:
Just trying to think of something to do to the liberty so it isn't ignored :( In two weekends i might do the liberator style door handles... got the idea of placing some bolts in the hole from a topic on here too. After that who knows! :BANANA:

How about crawling around it to find ANY part and or service it is going to needing soon or now? Do not neglect one inch of it. It will love ya for preventative maintenance :JEEPIN:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next