It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cooper's Jeep Build
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:21 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I used my knee
and a hammer :ROTFL:
Doesn't fit now with the Skid Row front skid
Have to make a new one

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

Picked up my winch today, but the shop ordered the wrong plate by mistake. :cry:

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 am 
LOST Junkie

The earliest the new plate will be here is the 5th :evil: im just trying to think of things to keep me occupied until then. :-)r

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Quote:
I gained over 6 mpg's when I regeared to 4.10's and running 265/75's,trans shifted better,and overall performance was greatly improved.I recouped my investment in less then a year in gas savings alone.Regearing to 4.10's with 31" tires will not reduce mpg's either.

Daaamn 6mpg? Thats good. Makes me wanna spring the $$$ and do it

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3897619/2005-jeep-liberty-sport-sport-utility-4d

Post subject: Cooper's Jeep Build
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ_WHEELER_2010 wrote:
Quote:
I gained over 6 mpg's when I regeared to 4.10's and running 265/75's,trans shifted better,and overall performance was greatly improved.I recouped my investment in less then a year in gas savings alone.Regearing to 4.10's with 31" tires will not reduce mpg's either.

That would put me at 21mpg instead of 15mpg. :)
If only money grew on trees.

Post subject: Cooper's Jeep Build
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Coop, you waiting to install the winch when your RL bumper gets here?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Subscribing.......

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:43 pm 

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
KJ_WHEELER_2010 wrote:
Quote:

AND
the very reason I get 21-22 easy on the highway at 70 MPH plus
sometimes putting money into a vehicle is a good investment when you do the "right" things

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
blackwidowkj06 wrote:
tommudd wrote:

AND
the very reason I get 21-22 easy on the highway at 70 MPH plus
sometimes putting money into a vehicle is a good investment when you do the "right" things

it will happen soon, like this year. i hope!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 am 
LOST Junkie

kjon wrote:
Sweet jeep! I'd highly recommend rotating those tires at every oil change. I'm on my second set, and they are great tires, but I'd probably still be rockin my first set if I'd have rotated more often than every 10,000. I still got 60,000 miles out of the first set... That tire/wheel combo weighs a ton, so they can be challenging to get back on the wheel studs :evil: You're gonna love that rock lizard bumper too, especially when you need a flat spot to set your beer while you're wrenching!

What psi do you run yours at?

Winch plate should be here tomorrow, so the afternoon will be spent on the winch and skids. Hopefully I can get done soon enough to go climb afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

Didn't take all that long once I got started
And since I never posted this up, here is my new washer bottle. Thanks to Troy as I saw one of his posts from a while ago where he did it exactly like me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
Coop, you waiting to install the winch when your RL bumper gets here?

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:
yes I was waiting... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

First time owning a winch, so I have a couple questions just to make sure I make it last as long as possible with as little hassle needed haha.
1. I read about the smittybilt winches having selonoids go bad real fast due to moisture getting in. not sure if they fixed this or if the comp versions have a better selonoid. Should I rtv it as I found on another site, or could this void the warranty?
2. Cover or no cover? Ive heard both sides of the argument, even people saying that they can actually trap moisture in. Having the synthetic line I don't know how it will stand up to weather after time.
3. I know they say not to use it for prolonged amounts of time, but what exactly is a long time? While spolling the line on I found the winch getting hot even though I paused about every 20 seconds.
4. How does free spoll work exactly? I know that sounds dumb, but I assume you just set it to free spoll and you can pull line out by hand. I want to be sure before I give it a good tug a end up damaging the drum.
5. Lastly how do you get the line to look like the ads!? That's been killing me :goink:
If theres anything else you think I should know I'd definitely appreciate it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CoopaTroopa wrote:
Lastly how do you get the line to look like the ads!? That's been killing me :goink:

I had tjkj2002 spool my line. He is a perfectionist, so my line looked like the Warn ads until I used it the first time. :mrgreen: But to answer your question, you have to start on one side and let it spool slowly and keep the line tight as it spools. Once you fill a row, start the next row and continue working the line back and forth making sure that the ropes stays in line and doesn't crisscross. Don't leave a space where the rope can fall inbetween the layers and gets caught, pinched, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As you can see, the ARB pretty much covers and protects the rope, so there's no need for a cover on my application.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 am 
LOST Junkie

Still looking for advice to take care of the winch, but I also want to know if anyone if using a jba spring spacer to add some more strength to the OME springs and prevent sag. adding the winch has me at about 22 all around, but I want that little bit back that I had before, and I still need to add an iso to the rear that I left at home when I lifted. :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:57 am 

spring spacer?
Have you done the top plate and clevis ?

also when you spool your winch line in, have it connected to another vehicle that way it will go on tighter than just by hand
let the winch slowly pull yours along and wind in the cable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:02 am 
LOST Junkie

sure have :? Will adding that extra 1/4'' preload the springs to much?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ok new question on the winch, I'm looking to clean up the wiring in the back of it, and maybe move the selonoid into the engine bay. Part of the reason for this is that thr ground wire that needs to go to the battery is a TIGHT squeeze and I'm worried about it getting frayed from the hood opening and closing on it because that was the only path I could take. I have an xrc8 winch and the ground comes from the selonoid which the instructions then say to ground to the winch itself, then a larger ground wire goes to the battery and thats where the problem is. Instead of grounding it on the winch can I ground it to the body then battery? or maybe a good path that I didnt see for the wire. Any help is appreciated as I get annoyed when things dont look quite right. :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:52 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

through the grill..

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next