It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jeep'in By Al 2.5" lift: Reviews"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:29 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Well you bought a 2.5 inch lift and thats pretty much where you are. Around 19 or so is stock height so would assume you're not going to get much more than that

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:53 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Well you bought a 2.5 inch lift and thats pretty much where you are. Around 19 or so is stock height so would assume you're not going to get much more than that

No I know, but that is only partly true. What I really bought I guess is a lift that is a 2.5 inch max lift but paid for "adjustability" that I will potentially never use since it is up just about as high as it is suppose to go but is so stiff the ride height probably won't budge no matter how much weight gets added. Even if it does it's pretty much maxed out anyhow. Also the clevis lift for sure and possibly top plate spacers are no longer options with this system.

I guess maybe I should have gone with the 4 inch Adjust-A-Struts like you said earlier to give me some room to move. It would have been helpful for me being fairly new to all this if the JBA lifts were listed as up to 2.5 inch and for the 4 inch, maybe as a 2 - 4 inch lift or something.

Moog LBJ's
Bilstein 5100s
ARB Bumper
M8000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:12 am 

Yes agree with that
should be listed
" up to 2.5 inches of lift "
" Up to 4 inches of lift "

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:00 am 
LOST Newbie

I might try and call Marlin on his 1 year 100% money back guarantee and see how that goes. Maybe he will swap me a set of 4 inch Adjust-A-Struts for the 2.5 inch I have and let me pay the difference if there is one. I've only had the lift on for about 3 months.

Moog LBJ's
Bilstein 5100s
ARB Bumper
M8000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello All: I'm new to this forum so yup I'm a newbie. I have an 05 KJ that was stock prior to the lift and just turned 100k.

I have installed the JBA 2.5" AAS and upper a-arms, with new rear springs and shocks. Mine's a daily driver, but you can easily tell it's lifted, plus I was already running 245's. I also considered 4" but it looked like more issues and cost with CV's, brake lines, etc., and as a daily driver I was looking for modest lift.

At any rate, my local garage did the install in March and it went smoothly. The ride is exceptional with far more handling and control along with a better ride on and off road. I can drive the same curvy roads as before going 10 mph faster with a better feel. My mother just got a new Acura MDX and I'd call the rides between the two quite comparable. A good friend who just traded in a CRD KJ for a Wrangler couldnt' believe the difference.

I have met Marlin (his shop is 25 minutes from my home) and his manufacturing shop is quite the setup; if anything his install info is a bit lacking, but YouTube videos help a lot. He's a straight shooter and a good guy IMO. He does know what he's doing, that's for sure.

I am a "you get what you pay for" kind of guy, so while this was a higher cost, I plan on going another 100k with my KJ- I might be adding a front bumper or bull bar as well so that won't need any mods other than ajusting the struts if needed.

I give the JBA a thumbs up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm sure Marlin is a great guy and JBA has proven themselves as a reputable vendor so that's not where I was going with this at all. I'm just providing my experience with this lift to hopefully help other people make a more informed decision. Since in retrospect, had I known enough to ask the right questions when purchasing the lift, I would have probably just gone with the 4 incher because if you want 2.5 inches of lift then the 2.5" lift from JBA provides little or no adjustability. If you want a 1.5" lift then great, you have some room to move. I also don't see how you would run into any CV or break line issues if you stay at 22 inches or below no matter how high your lift is capable of being adjusted.

Moog LBJ's
Bilstein 5100s
ARB Bumper
M8000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

As for a review and is it necessary to spend the high price for jba suspension???, let me say this I have had 3 lifts trying to get this 2005 gasses kj right...1st one was a daystar spacer lift 150 bucks and its Garbage unless you Do nOT INTEND TO GO OFF ROAD also starts sagging within 1 month and restricts shock travel to 2" instead of original manufacture 4", 2nd was a rocky road outfitter clevice lift, still the a arms were banging like crazy ... again its good IF you just want a lifted look and not going offroad...3rd was the jeepin by al 2.5" coilovers kit...comes with A arms 2.5" coilovers which can lift up to 4" and rear springs . I bought the kit with bilstien shocks...total price was 2200 us dollars which is why I didn't buy this lift kit first .... Big Mistake on my part ...We go offroad every weekend and I am Very happy with the money I spent...Again I wasted 300 us dollars or more not to mention installation costs were about 300 also... on lifts that bang and clang as well as not give me the ride height and suspension travel that the jeepin by al kit does...
My advice is go for the jba kits first and save the other money and buy the wife something nice to keep her happy.....lol No really I have been here and I regret not buying jba's kit first...I didn't go for the fox shock option but they have those as well for 187 dollars more... Everyone that see what our 05 kj can do is amazed at the height and travel grip this kit affords us....We climb , mud, sand, hills rocks etc...My wife is very happy with it too, as I quit bitching about the sub standard kits we have had...My mechanic is happy too because we did it right this time.... Joe Ask me any questions you may have and I will answer them thx Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've had the JBA 2.5" kit on for 700 miles now including one 7 hour trail ride with moderate obstacles. The difference between my old BDS 2" lift is night and day. I also balked at the JBA at first because of the price but its worth the $ in my opinion. Now when I go with a front ARB bumper/winch combo in the next few months I can just dial it up to accommodate the weight,

2005 KJ Renegade, 133K+, 2.5" JBA lift with adj coiloveres, Bilstein 7100 rear /BFG MT KM2 245/75R16 on 16x8 MOABs/ Terraflex bump stops and 2 hockey pucks /OEM skids/ Front tow hooks/rear hitch/ OEM roof lightbar/ JBA 4.5 UCA's /LSD's: Trac Lock /TrueTrac 4:10's/ RRO steel roof rails and crossbars/ RRO Supersliders/ SS brake lines

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Old thread, but I just had to get rid of my 2012 Liberty because of the JBA 2.5" lift.

Positives: Greatly improved ride, great ground clearance.

Negatives: NOISY! The front struts chirped like an old bed spring, and every little pebble in the road would echo through the cab. Merlin tried to help but admitted there is little or no isolation in the Adjust-a-Strut. Replaced one strut under warranty, but the noise level only decreased a little.

So, out with the old and in with a new 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite with the 2.0 Turbo. Much more capable, about the same ground clearance as the lifted liberty, and much, MUCH quieter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I installed the JBA coil overs with the FOX shocks about 2 months ago. After doing some moderate roads over the weekend, it was worth the effort for me. the money, sure its expensive. I haven't noticed any chirping from the front end. I get some squeaking from the rear shock bushings at low speeds, but not on the highway or on dirt.

my view point was spending the $2K for a replacement lift kit (finally changed the 14 year old OME kit) or spending $50K for a Rubicon. my Liberty is easy to work on and I already own it.

MHO.

Ed

Original Owner, 2003 Sport, JBA Coil Overs with FOX remote reservoir shocks, JBA's 4.5 UCA's, Skid Row/Jeep armor, Ruff Stuff rear diff cover, K&N cold air intake kit, Magna Flow exhaust, Iron Rock Off-road rear UCA, Satellite Radio, 03 GC EVIC.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:26 pm 

metalengineer wrote:
I installed the JBA coil overs with the FOX shocks about 2 months ago. After doing some moderate roads over the weekend, it was worth the effort for me. the money, sure its expensive. I haven't noticed any chirping from the front end. I get some squeaking from the rear shock bushings at low speeds, but not on the highway or on dirt.
my view point was spending the $2K for a replacement lift kit (finally changed the 14 year old OME kit) or spending $50K for a Rubicon. my Liberty is easy to work on and I already own it.
MHO.
Ed

Good move! Noting like letting money drive sound decisions.
I always tell people; most vehicle repairs are only two or three car payments of a five or six year loan! It sure puts things in perspective real quick.... :ROTFL:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve