It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New front bumper from Rock Lizard
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:49 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

OK, so I've been pretty busy lately, with kids and school full time, redesigned a few things on the rear bumpers and those that have orders for rear bumpers I am getting new hinges machined and will have them soon and can finish these orders up.
Anyways, while I have been waiting for rear bumper parts to get straightened out, in my very little free time, I finally after way too many years and redesigns and only putting out a few actual front bumpers, I have an amazing design I am very proud of and kick myself for not doing it sooner. This is the new design for the Rock Monitor Convertible Front bumper. My website is way out of date, and since my old computer crashed, I have no clue how to fix and update my website, so pricing and all that is null and void.

Here's the deal. These bumpers are pretty awesome. Every one of these bumpers come with a universal mounting kit, which means the mounts work for all KJ's and KK's. The bumpers all come with the built in mounting for the winch plate. The bumpers have been designed to accept a particular TJ Wrangler Winch plate that bolts to the top of the bumper and can be purchased on Amazon for about $60 shipped, which is super cheap and already made, so cheaper than I can make them, and I don't have to spend time making them. The mounting system is super easy to install, does not require drilling any new holes, just making four stock holes on each side a little bigger. Installation is so easy you can do it yourself. The bumper weighs about 65lbs with the winch plate. It sticks out about 4" less than the ARB, so approach angle is super awesome. The bumper itself is a three piece design. The universal center section for all KJ's 02-07, that has all the strength with the mounting system to the jeep and for the winch plate, and comes standard with shackle tabs. The second and third pieces are the wings. Why bolt on wings? Easy. They are universal for all KJ's 02-07, except on the 02-04's I simply add a filler piece to the wing to take up the gap from the stock signal housings, so I don't have to make a completely different wing for the two different KJ's. This cuts production time and cost down. Another big bonus to the bolt on wings, is if you get into an accident and damage the bumper, instead of having to scrap and replace the whole bumper, you just replace whichever part is damaged. The wings also can have port holes cut into them to add driving lights if you choose. There is room for up to 4" diameter lights. The three part design also makes shipping super easy and cheaper than an ARB. I can ship this bumper anywhere in the continental US for $100. Shipping is getting stupid expensive now, so I had to think of someway to help cut that down, so this makes it real affordable.
The new design also allows for me to make grill guards that bolt to the top of the bumper using the same mounting bolts as the winch plate.
So, how is this a "convertible" bumper? It can easily be converted into different configurations depending on your needs and even how you want it to look at the time. You can have the plain bumper, you can add the winch plate, you can add the gaurd with the winch plate, you can add the gaurd without the winch plate, and in the very near future, I will have prerunner tube style "wings" that you can bolt to the center section instead of the plate wings.

As I mentioned, my website is null and void, so here it is real simple on this bumper as for pricing goes, because honestly, I don't have time to waste on back and forth emails. You are either ready to order, or don't bother. No need to ask me any questions about shipping cost or bumper cost because here it is.

Front bumper for 02-04 is $700 (costs more than 05-07 due to more material and added signals)
Front bumper for 05-07 is $625.
If you want a front hitch, add $50. If you want a grill guard, pricing depends on what you want, but a basic hoop prerunner style is $125. If you want the winch plate, search for "Smittybuilt 2801" in the automotive section on Amazon.com. They are usually $60 shipped. This bumper was designed for this particular winch plate, so if you get something else, it is not gauranteed to fit on the jeep or bumper correctly, although the mounting holes will likely bolt up since it is for a TJ Wrangler winch plate bolt pattern.
Shipping in continental 48 states flat rate $100. No, I am not shipping outside of the 48 states at this time, sorry.

Ok, give me a few minutes to post some pictures so please do not post anything yet.

Post subject: Re: New front bumper from Rock Lizard
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:58 am 

Please excuse the quality of the pictures.

Center section with winch mount and showing approach angle.

02-04 "Wing" (prototype mock up doesn't have signals installed yet)

Couple of shots of the mounting system

This is the 05-07 bumper, but it is the old one piece design, but it still looks like this "shape", just has the three piece bumper design (imagine the 02-04 picture above minus the filler plate under the flare/grill area on the 02-04). This one shows with a front hitch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:04 am 

OK, so now for the fun news. Time is running out. I am moving beginning of January, so all orders (front bumper, rear bumpers, sliders, everything) will be done before then, because I don't know how long it will take me to get into a shop after the move. Might be a month, could be six, so I do not want any orders on hold. This means for me to get all orders done by then, I will not take anymore orders for anything after November 15th. I would like to clear out what little inventory I do have so I don't have to haul it with me or store it until I get a shop. Now, I don't have an inventory on these front bumpers, but due to the new design, production is pretty simple and I want to give everyone a chance to hop on one before the move, since a real front bumper designed by me has been years in the making, so here it is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:12 am 

Oh, and one more thing for the KK guys, this bumper/mounting system will work on the KK, it will just have a different signal housing setup like the 02-04 KJ guys to have. I will have that figured out soon. Pricing for the KK bumpers will be a little more than the 02-04 KJ's.

These are old pictures on the KK, but helps give a visual if you add the pieces from the above pictures in your mind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 am 

Sorry, one last thing to add. If you need to get ahold of me, DO NOT CALL and DO NOT PM. I don't have time for the calls, I might check my voicemails once every other week, and I don't have much time to get on here and check PM's, so the best way to reach me is email:
martin@rocklizardfabrications.com
And those take a little while to respond to but I get them quicker. And please, you have bumper prices, so please dont waste my time asking how much for this or that. Get a calculator and email me when you are 100% ready to order. If you want to order something like a rear bumper or sliders or roof rack, prices for those on my website are current for now to keep time simple, shipping in the continental US for sliders is $100, light duty rear bumpers $200, heavy duty rears with both carriers is $300. Roof racks are $175 for shipping. Dont ask for shipping quotes, I just posted them. :D Shipping with all carriers (fedex, ups, usps) has gotten stupid expensive, so I'm sorry shipping is so high, I guess we can blame Obama for that. :goink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:33 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Looks even better now its painted !
Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:30 am 
LOST Member

Nice Clean look! Great Job! Can't wait for the rear bumper to show up on my door step!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:24 am 
LOST Junkie

Thats a good lookin bumper :pepper:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Woohoo! It a baby bumper! I love it!!!! Strong, small, efficient. Martin, congratulation.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

I ordered a few weeks prior to this, so i'm wondering whether im getting the regular monitor i ordered, or the pieced together one... Either way i dont care, i just want it to come already :cry:

Procomp rockkrawlr 16x8 4.25bs with 265-70-65 General Grabber AT2's
Mopar full skid plates, JCR stage 3 Rock Rails
Kenwood HU, 6.5 pioneer marine grade door speakers, JL stealthbox kenwood amp
GDE HOT tune
Soon to come
RL Rock monitor bumper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:51 pm 

irollgen4s wrote:
I ordered a few weeks prior to this, so i'm wondering whether im getting the regular monitor i ordered, or the pieced together one... Either way i dont care, i just want it to come already :cry:

The one piece (like the one shown above on the black 05) I have all the parts to make right now except for the mounts which I am going to build yours by hand to be faster than waiting for manufacturer at this point. It will have the new mounting brackets, just will be one piece corner to corner. Unless you want the new style, which will obviously take longer to get, but Im sure you want it pretty soon. With the 05-07, the one piece isn't as big a deal as it is for the older bumpers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

Im fine with the one piece... whatever makes it come faster :-)r . thanks for the update!

Procomp rockkrawlr 16x8 4.25bs with 265-70-65 General Grabber AT2's
Mopar full skid plates, JCR stage 3 Rock Rails
Kenwood HU, 6.5 pioneer marine grade door speakers, JL stealthbox kenwood amp
GDE HOT tune
Soon to come
RL Rock monitor bumper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:48 pm 
LOST Member

cool stuff. I'm interested to see how the KK bumper will turn out

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Do you have anymore pictures of it on the 05-07? Looks like it sticks out past the fender flares?? What it the turn around time for shipping, will I get it by christmas?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

so when are the people that have been waiting almost 2 years getting there bumpers? thunderbirdjunkie is one of them people

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:04 pm 

Sport wrote:
Do you have anymore pictures of it on the 05-07? Looks like it sticks out past the fender flares?? What it the turn around time for shipping, will I get it by christmas?

I have a few but haven't downloaded the rest of them yet. are you looking for a particular angle? The wings at the wheel wells do stick out about an inch outside of the flare, keep those flares protected a little. Yes you will have it by Christmas if not sooner. All orders will be done by Christmas since I am moving out of state beginning of January and don't want orders on hold during the move.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:17 pm 

teckman02 wrote:
so when are the people that have been waiting almost 2 years getting there bumpers? thunderbirdjunkie is one of them people

Everyone with an order in already will have it before end of year ahead of anyone else that orders by the November 15th deadline. I go down the list in order. I have already talked to Eric, he paid for a basic bumper back when they were several hundred dollars less than they are now, and he is getting the updated bumper with all the bells and whistles. In fact, I am paying more that what he did to make his bumper and get it to him, like a few others. I understand some people have had to wait for things and they don't like it, but I don't send out garbage. If I don't like it, I don't ship it until I do. If someone sticks it out like Eric has and a few others have in the past, they get well taken care of. Those that are impatient and can't wait their turn and cancel their orders, well, sucks to be them. Unless they go pay extra for nice custom or cheap for custom garbage, they get to stick with their stock parts because they won't be getting anything from me. I can't always get things done immediately, but I do eventually make things right, whether it be completing the order or refunding the money. Those that I owe either or to I have already contacted with updates. If I haven't made things right with anyone, they need to send me an email.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

glider wrote:
Haven't we heard this song and dance before? With the same cheerleaders on the sideline? And then as may well happen now...YEARS of waits..promises...excuses....lack of communication.

Caveat Emptor.

Well, considering that Rock Lizard Fabrications is one of the very few gigs in town, and who happens to support the entire KJ/KK community on most parts, then a wait time is somewhat expected from a small part-time operation. Now, if RL parts were mediocre, then you would have a point. But since RL products are top notch, then I think it’s worth the wait. Where else are you going to get a rear bumper with a swing out tire/gas can carrier? Where else are you going to get top notch custom bumpers, rock rails, roof racks, SFA conversion kits, and whatever else he makes?

Carli makes some of the best custom ball-joints for the Dodge Cummins pickup. There have been times when truck enthusiasts have had to wait well over a year before getting their Cali upper and lower ball joints. Sage Carli was picky on who manufactured certain parts and how they were assembled, etc. He wanted to produce the best heavy duty ball joint ever made for the Dodge Cummins. And those who finally got them were never diappointed.

A Dodge Cummins enthusiast will wait months and months for custom suspension parts, engine parts, exhaust parts, transmission parts, etc. I’ve known people who waited well over a year to get their hands on a custom twin turbo setup.

When you're sinking a lot of money into building a vehicle, you want to make sure you are doing it right. That’s why there are people, like myself, who patiently wait. It’s not a pleasurable experience by any means, but very worth it in the end. :2cents:

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:52 pm 
LOST Member

I don't think people really understand that these things take time. In my work the lead times are way longer than this for much less complicated hardware