It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 44
To make a long story short; my wife hates my XJ, and would like me to sell/trade/drive off a cliff/viking funeral the truck.

As a possible replacement I was looking into the KJ Libby era, most likely Renegade or Limited trim level. I've looked at Jeepinbyal, DetoursUSA, and several of the other venders/sites that deal in the KJ to start my homework.

Ultimately I plan on a build that would look like the following:
2.5-4 inch lift
30-31 inch tires AT/MT
Backbone winch mounting system
Possible auto or selectable locker front and rear
Homebrew rear bumper of some kind.

To start things off, what I would like to know is based on these items approximately what approach and exit angles could I expect to see in a KJ with either completely stock bumper or a trimmed stocker, or would it be more beneficial to make something else for better approach.

Secondly; right now my XJ has the following specs:
3.5-4 inch lift (short arm)
31 inch MT tires
DIY winch plate up front.
Open diffs front and rear
in your opinions would it seem like a good deal to move to a KJ with a similar build that I am planning?

My wife would like a jeep that is:
Reliable
Good AC
decent MPG (Not gonna happen I know)
4 doors

My goal in the Jeep is to make a DD that is a good weekend warrior, camper, expedition vehicle

Thanks in advance for any help, options, opinions you can offer me.

DJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 12
This will not be a popular opinion, but keep the XJ for a trail rig and buy a KJ for your wife. With the mods you are planning you are looking to drop some serious $$$ on upgrades. Based on your upgrade list you seem to want to be able to do some moderate to serious trails. In the North East I have never seen a KJ on anything more then a mild trail, but I see XJs on all the major trails. The IFS front suspension limits the KJ offload. The mods in your XJ will never payoff in resale. XJ parts and upgrades are cheaper and there are a lot of used parts available. I have owned YJ,TJ,XJ and KJ, and I understand why your wide doesn't like the XJ.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:20 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
:shock: :ROTFL:
:POPCORN:
Sell the XJ
build a KJ , looks like you're looking at some of the best places for parts / etc

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:53 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm
Posts: 2003
Location: valley center, ks
Build the KJ. It will do most of the trails that a XJ will do, it just takes a little more of a driver than the XJ does. I my opinion that makes it more challenging and more fun. And it's more comfortable to drive for your wife.

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:39 pm
Posts: 16
I've had many different jeeps & have to say the liberty is way under rated. So far I am very surprised by mine.

Having a LeForte III skull fracture & losing sight in 1 eye during a rollover accident in 1995 I also appreciate the incredibly stout roof structure of the KJ compared to the flimsy XJ

It's a pretty sturdy unibody...

Also the 2.8 vm motori is pretty good on fuel I have drove to the Florida keys in mine & with 31" mud tires and 5 people plus luggage I netted almost 30 mpg...way better than anything I've ever owned...

The trick to building the Liberty is use the KISS method

This minimalist approach will return a good daily driver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 44
I'm glad to hear the responses so far. My local club refuses to talk about any Jeep unless it is a variation of the Wrangler.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:03 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Thats the problem quite a few "clubs" out there like that , if you don't own a CJ/YJ/TJ or JK you're not driving a real Jeep
Just build what you want and then watch as one by one individuals will be coming around and looking at yours and saying " nice rig" / "wow thats set up good " etc

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 pm
Posts: 463
I've got this special grin that comes out every time I'm on a trail or at a truck stop and somebody driving a TJ or JK forces himself to compliment my Liberty. Happens all the time.

The upgrade list you've put together looks good. Suggestion: Go to JeepinByAl.com and check out the Econo Lift he's put together with TomMudd's direction. Everything you need for a very good 3.5" lift except rear bumpstops (use 2 hockey pucks per side.) You can also put together very good lifts using OME or Ironman springs and shocks and the piece together the various components to complete the kit.

These lifts are a win/win for you and your wife. You get outstanding off-road capability and your wife will have an extremely comfortable DD for side streets and highway.

You've come to the right place to get info on modding your KJ. 8)

Bob

_________________
2003 Liberty
- 3.7L V6, NP242 SelecTrac Transfer Case
- OME 927/948's, Bilsteins, JBA Gen 4.5 A-arms, JBA 1/4" top plate, 3-ring clevis, 2 extra rear isos
- Rubicon Moabs
- 4.10's, 265/70-16 Goodyear Duratracs
- 4X Guard Trans Skid, Modded BoulderBars, Mopar Engine, T-Case, Tank Skids, ARB bumper, Smittybilt 9500XRC winch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 44
So the wife and I took a test drive the other night, she thought the ride was like night and day compared to my XJ. Hopefully I will be able to get most of what I am asking for.

EDIT:
By the way, are there any trouble areas that I should try to pay attention to when I am looking over a used libby like these? I realize they are unibody, so check the "frame" rails for any critically weak spots, check behind wheel well liner and so on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 1218
The ride will only get better after the lift! OME/Bilstein rides awesome IMO.

No weak spots are really known, just check for rust and stuff. If it has 4x4 badges on the side, it means it sits about 3/4" higher from the factory. 02's and early 03's had the stronger 45RFE trans, but the 42RLE works fine too.

_________________
05 KJ Limited 4x4 in Light Khaki: Detours USA Backbone, Warn M8000, Huskyliners, RockLizard Super Skink sliders, OME/Bilstein Lift, JBA UCA's, 245/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
07 LR3 SE V8
1996 XJ Country
2015 KL Limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 44
How about the 5 speed? I read somewhere that the clutch was a little lighter duty than others. Does that seem to make sense?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
djr8505 wrote:
So the wife and I took a test drive the other night, she thought the ride was like night and day compared to my XJ. Hopefully I will be able to get most of what I am asking for.

EDIT:
By the way, are there any trouble areas that I should try to pay attention to when I am looking over a used libby like these? I realize they are unibody, so check the "frame" rails for any critically weak spots, check behind wheel well liner and so on.


Check the frame rails right in front of the lower control arms
I've seen a few that were down on the coast rust there when not taken care of

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 44
I picked up an 03 Renny with the 5spd this past weekend. The body for the most part was clean, garage kept Jeep. I'll snap some pics once I pick it up.

On a side note... As I was researching I learned that the newer KKs have BLD as part of the TCS/ESP system. Has anyone thought of/performed a backwards compatability system with the KJ? How dis-similar are the power trains between the years, would it be as simple as an ECU/PCM swap or would the engine transmission and all sensors need to swap in?

Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:56 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
HoosierJeeper wrote:
The ride will only get better after the lift! OME/Bilstein rides awesome IMO.

No weak spots are really known, just check for rust and stuff. If it has 4x4 badges on the side, it means it sits about 3/4" higher from the factory. 02's and early 03's had the stronger 45RFE trans, but the 42RLE works fine too.

It sits higher 0n 02s and early 03s ( up until 3/03) is all, not if it has 4X4 badges

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
djr8505 wrote:
I picked up an 03 Renny with the 5spd this past weekend. The body for the most part was clean, garage kept Jeep. I'll snap some pics once I pick it up.

On a side note... As I was researching I learned that the newer KKs have BLD as part of the TCS/ESP system. Has anyone thought of/performed a backwards compatability system with the KJ? How dis-similar are the power trains between the years, would it be as simple as an ECU/PCM swap or would the engine transmission and all sensors need to swap in?

Thanks in advance.


Be way more of a PITA than what it would be worth. I for one am glad we don't have that garbage to deal with
Congrats on the purchase

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:14 pm
Posts: 2377
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Trust me the ESP garbage isn't worth it. Most of us hate it and pull the abs fuse offroad

_________________
2011 Deep Cherry Red KK - Skyslider - JBA/Bilstein Adjust-A-Strut set at 3.5" - OME 731 Rear Springs - Bilstein Rear Shocks - Al's A-arms - 245/75-16 Duratracs - Rock Liazard Super Sliders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm
Posts: 2003
Location: valley center, ks
djr8505 wrote:
I picked up an 03 Renny with the 5spd this past weekend. The body for the most part was clean, garage kept Jeep. I'll snap some pics once I pick it up. .


Nice choice! You will like the five speed, it's a lot of fun on the trail. :JEEPIN:

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:46 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 44
Here it is; the 5 speed is amazing. I can putz around town in 4th or 5th 1300 rpm +- and average around 19mpg. True when it does get lifted with meatier (is that a word?) tires the milage will probably go out the window.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:44 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:46 pm
Posts: 1778
Location: Queens, New York
Looks great!
Where in NY are you?
I'm in Queens.

8)

_________________
-dbk
SOLD2007 6 Speed - Projector Retrofit -Custom LED Tail Lights - Lights on Cowl & 130w 8" ProComps - Full Skids-RockLizard Super Skink Sliders-Front Hitch
Frankenlifted-Al's A-Arms-Goodyear Duractracs 31x10.5R15x7 Cragar D Window 4"bs-Cobra 75WXST - 4' Firestick
4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: XJ Possibly Moving To KJ need info/help/opinions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 44
I live in "upstate" NY haha. The Scottsville/Rochester area. Most of the time I wheel out in the Syracuse area w/cnyjeep


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com