It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: BDS Suspension's Project KJ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:31 am 
LOST Newbie

I would have been happy to loan you guys my 2004 gasser for this project as long as I got it back when you were done. Just saying. Great build and very interested in seeing the final outcome. I also agree on the rear not being cut to look like a pickup. Great work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I also agree... dont cut it... looks lot better like it is.... really love the project tough

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

The rear window chop topic is still up in the air for us at this point as well. Our priority is on the mechanical side of the things right now; suspension, steering and axles. We shot a new video Friday afternoon, just finished editing it and will have it posted along with some new photos later this afternoon. Stay tuned...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Since the last update, our mighty little Project KJ went on a diet shedding excess unibody and a bulky fuel tank as the guys prep for mounting the new steering, suspension, axles and 40” tires. After stripping down the front bumper support, inner fenders and firewall, we made progress towards our small lift/big tire goal. The stripped unibody looks very similar to a frame rail allowing us to tie in the cage, suspension mounts, and mount a steering box up front. Our plan is to run a OE style box with hydro assist for easy turning in precarious situations offroad. Which steering box setup will best suit the build and our limited space constraints… stay tuned for more information as we figure that out.

For axles, we wanted to go with an attainable axle and show it can be built to handle some abuse. We picked up a set of JK Rubicon Dana 44s and are in the process of bulking them up. After cutting off the brackets, the axles received an outer sleeve and brackets were tacked in place as we figure out the suspension geometry. The JK 44s have a WMS of 65”, 3” wider than the KJ (and TJs) 62” width. This additional width will help give us additional room to mount the coil-overs, steering, and allow the 40s to turn lock-to-lock. The housing on the front D44 fits tightly between the engine and “frame” rail at full compression making it ideal for us to achieve a low center of gravity. There is a slight interference with the mechanical fan, which will be resolved by swapping to an electric unit.

In the rear, the unibody has been cut to roughly the shape we need to extend the wheelbase and clear the 40s with minimal lift. The rear corner is an important structural part of the KJ’s unibody so rather than hack it up and potentially tweak the body, we are moving to the interior as we mock up the cage to provide additional support and rigidity. We’ll have more on the cage as the guys build it into the little KJ. Stay tuned for more as the guys continue to turn this little Liberty into an ultra cool low-slung trail buggy to take on the Petersen’s 4Wheel & Off-Road Ultimate Adventure 2013.

Check out the YouTube Video at:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtTp0aEzWMg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtTp0aEzWMg[/url]

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

So the build is coming right along, but the guys down in R&D keep getting sidetracked working on new product development projects rather than turning this KJ into a cool trail rig. At this point we've sourced some parts and have continued prepping the cab, cage and suspension. We have a PSC JK box and cylinder assist on order along with a set the new 40'' Nitto Trail Grappler DOT tires, 17x10 B.A.D. beadlocks, and 14'' Fox Racing 2.5 remote coilovers. Here's a few pictures from in the shop earlier today...

ImageImageImageImage

More to come as parts start arriving...

Last edited by BDS Suspension on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BDS Suspension wrote:
There is a slight interference with the mechanical fan, which will be resolved by swapping to an electric unit.

If you swap in the nylon mechanical fan to replace the metal, it MIGHT save you some space, but it would for sure increase cooling performance if you include the hayden fan clutch.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69145

Looking good!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

After a few weeks getting sidetracked on new product development projects, the crew down at BDS’s R&D shop found some time to continue working on our project Liberty. The biggest change, the top is gone. We did this for a few reasons, it allows us to storage a fullsize 40” spare tire and gear, makes the cage much more accessible so we can tie it into the rest of the unibody, and it just looks cool in my opinion. At this point its just a rough cut, we still plan to cut a bit more before closign the cab back off for a weather tight seal (hopefully).

Another challenge is the steering. Ditching the factory rack-and-pinion steering rack in favor traditional steering box will allow us improved clearance will tie to our Liberty’s new JK axles. After some investigation, we went with PSC Motorsports‘s JK steering box with cylinder assist to help turn the 40×13.50 Nitto Trail Grappler DOT tires on 17×10 B.A.D. beadlocks that we have on order. PSC got the parts right out to us and after a quick test fit it appears the steering box will mount on the unibody and steering linkage without to much struggle. Radiator will likely need to be swapped to eliminate the interference between the steering box and radiator outlet hose.

At this point the cage work is continuing, steering box is being prepped, suspension linkage is being mocked up and Fox 14” remote C/O are on order. Plenty more body mods are over the next couple weeks. Stay tuned for updates as Project KJ starts taking shape.

New Update Video posted at: BDS Suspension Jeep KJ Build (Update 4) - YouTube

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

:shock: Dudn't look half bad. Can't wait to see the finished product.

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3897619/2005-jeep-liberty-sport-sport-utility-4d

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:49 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Ugly
Oh well another one bits the dust

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:36 pm 
LOST Addict

i was fine with this project until you cut the back. Now you lost me...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 pm 
LOST Member

I think someone already did this project.

Tom Woods 1310 Front driveshaft
JKS Quicker front Disconnects
Synergy 1.75" Wheel spacer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:31 pm 
LOST Member

Surprised how many haters are on here for a project that's as cool as this one, no wonder they don't do a lot of KJ stuff look how they get treated on here and jeepkj sure everyone's got an opinion but no need to be a Richard about it.

- Boiler's Roof Rack - CRS Rock Rails - All J Cargo Tray
- Cobra 75WSXT - 4 LED Roof Lights - Bed Lined Bumpers/Fenders

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:50 pm 

VAlene, I think you're missing the point here.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion
Mine is I would of built it with full body, just a difference of opinion.
Sure the build up is cool so far, and they can do what they like, but again post something up and be it them , yours or mine not everyone is going to like the way we build ours :wink:
As far as doing a lot for KJs,..............they've had 11 years

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:03 pm 
LOST Member

I was just playing around because it looks really bad with the back cut like that so was trying to be funny was all. I have no choice but to be a Richard though since that is my actual name. Must uphold the legacy my parents provided me :BANANA:

Tom Woods 1310 Front driveshaft
JKS Quicker front Disconnects
Synergy 1.75" Wheel spacer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry if we lost some of you with the last update, group consensus was to go for it, but we've got a couple ideas on how to cleanly finish it that we'll address a bit later in the build. We don't mind the comments, the Tracker photo was good for a laugh around the office.

Now that the roof is off, the guys got busy working on the rest of the cage. Radiator is removed and hopefully steering will be going in first of next week. Also in the front, we've cut out the obtrusive lower corner of the floor/firewall on each side and fill panels are going in to net us extra clearance for the tires at full stuff and turning. It was surprising how much dead space there there was from the factory.

One thing we're still deciding on is what's the best option for mounting a fullsize spare. We don't want to stick it off the back like a Wrangler and we don't want it to half-hazzardly strap it to the roof. At this point we're looking at options to get it inside behind the rear seats so it's easily accessible but still gives the driver a line of sight out the back window. It's times like this we wish we didn't have 40s.

Anyways, just a quick update on the progress, let us know what's on your mind...

Last edited by BDS Suspension on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:27 pm 
LOST Member

I like the flinstone braking setup, but not sure that's a good idea with such large tires..... :-)r

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

bgcarl01 wrote:
I like the flinstone braking setup, but not sure that's a good idea with such large tires..... :-)r

LOL

I don't care what anyone else says, I think this is a very cool project. I can't wait to see what it looks like when its all finished!

'07 4X4 KJ - Clevis, Top Plate, Isos - Black Rock Lobos, Gorilla Lugs, Goodyear Wranglers - Front & Rear Tow Hooks - Curt Roof Basket, ARES Cross Bars - aFe Filter - Mopar Skids - CB, Phone Mount, Inverter, GoPro - Planned: Dynomax Muffler, Aftermarket Headunit, Airflow Snorkel, Lund Xtreme Floor Liners

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't care what anyone else says, I think this is a very cool project. I can't wait to see what it looks like when its all finished![/quote]

I agree with that. Not much liberty left but very cool build. :JEEPIN:

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

kskj wrote:
I agree with that. Not much liberty left but very cool build. :JEEPIN:

X2
.........Mine next? :lol:

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3897619/2005-jeep-liberty-sport-sport-utility-4d

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

They took the liberty with the Liberty, I can't wait to see how it turns out either!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next