It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: BDS Suspension's Project KJ
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:32 pm 
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!

tommudd wrote:
Besides a stocker

Sick!
:twisted:

3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am 
LOST Newbie

I think we definitely hit our goal of LCOG. On 40's and will still fit in a garage.

Quick update:

After using the first 2 days as a shake down for the rig, it is working well and more importantly, can cruise at 60mph with ease. On the UA, they will run up to 1500 miles on road over the week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:52 pm 
LOST Member

Please let us know what kind of fuel milage u guys got on the road with 40" meats. :BANANA: A build list would bee really nice :BANANA: :BANANA: :BANANA: Cant wait to see some hard crawling... :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: bshooter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:11 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

They found the "weak link" earlier today
but with some creative work they were back on the road in short order

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:36 am 
LOST Addict

Where did the drive shafts come from because that is one weak looking flange mount.
tommudd wrote:
They found the "weak link" earlier today
but with some creative work they were back on the road in short order

Where did the drive shafts come from because that is one weak looking flange mount.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

I'm in love.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

great project!

HELLO!

Thule Expedition Basket
Polk Audio
Decat and full system + Piggyback (145kw - 300nm)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LOVE this KJ!!! It's almost exactly what I had envisioned for mine. Body damage and all! :SOMBRERO:

"There are few problems in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:32 pm 

Bolt comes loose in the ring gear and does this
so you bandage it up with duct tape
you repair it and go back out and do this
and after some fun
of course everyone looks the same

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:41 pm 
LOST Member

I was thinking of getting a couple of aluminum diff covers for my 44's, I'll Take The Steel Covers Please. :? Put the peddle to the metal and let that Diesel Roar... :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

that is why you get a ARB dipp cover

i would not want to be the guy that gets to clean that thing up

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:10 am 

bshooter wrote:
I was thinking of getting a couple of aluminum diff covers for my 44's, I'll Take The Steel Covers Please. :? Put the peddle to the metal and let that Diesel Roar... :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:

Something to think about here
Steel cover, bolt stays in there bounces around takes out the gears, you're done!
This cover, bolt comes out, they put the bolt back in with loc-tite, weld/patch up the cover and back on the road in no time
Other way maybe a few hours / a day for gears to show up etc.
So which would you want now :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 am 

Yesterday mud
today sand........and 500 road miles
Daytona Beach

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
bshooter wrote:

Steel cover, bolt stays in there bounces around takes out the gears, you're done!
This cover, bolt comes out, they put the bolt back in with loc-tite, weld/patch up the cover and back on the road in no time

I agree, if it was a steel diff cover EVERYTHING would've been trashed. Or, at least, could have been. Still think that the steel is a much better option then a CAST aluminum diff cover, but in this case it worked to their advantage.

Hitch + Recovery Shackle
Boilers Gas Tank Skid
Clarion NZ409 In-dash Sat-Navigation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

05renny wrote:
tommudd wrote:
bshooter wrote:

I agree, if it was a steel diff cover EVERYTHING would've been trashed. Or, at least, could have been. Still think that the steel is a much better option then a CAST aluminum diff cover, but in this case it worked to their advantage.

i think if the build had not been rushed and it would not have happen. also going to by the pics it had been ran hard if it had not been ran as hard it more than likely would not have happen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Guys, I'm back in the office after an amazingly exhausting week on the Ultimate Adventure. While I know many of you followed the coverage on our Facebook page, I wanted to back track a bit and finish up the build thread that I ran short of time on. Thanks to Tom for stopping by to take pictures and get his hands a little dirty on the final day of prep. I saw he posted some photos up to keep everyone up to speed on the project and the trip. For now here's the final installment of the build thread to get you up to speed on how the KJ sits now, we'll have future updates with event coverage and build updates as we tune it and get it closer to what we envisioned...

It was a mad rush to the finish. 15-17 hour days in the shop as this vehicle came out of paint to be fully assembled in just 3 short days. In addition to the bolt-on items, the body panels, windshield, interior, and winch getting reinstalled, big items like front and rear bumpers still needed to be fabricated, wiring needed to be sorted out, brake lines and fuel lines routed, skid pates needed to be designed and built, and all the fluids checked before we could fire it up for the first time since its transformation from a grocery getter into a trail rig. To say there was some pressure on the crew building the KJ would be an understatement.

D-Day came along and the rig still had a long way to go. With the start of the 2013 Ultimate Adventure set for Saturday afternoon in Alabama, the guys set off to finish up the odds and ends in preparation for the Friday PM departure. While the list was dwindling down, there were still a number of things to get done. Electrical gremlins persistently popping up during the final couple days of the build as we sorted out periodic no start issues, that developed on account of the doors being removed during the buildup (security system caused no start), overhead console being unplugged (security system caused no start), headlight/taillight wiring issues, and an engine/tranny combo that was stuck in limb mode. After a day full or fabrication and diagnostic, exhausted and dazed, the crew loaded up Project KJ around 11:30pm still with an unresolved engine/tranny issue. Carter and Dave drove through the night with the KJ in tow to make it to the start point just in time. Once off the trailer at the start, Carter and Dave went to work diagnosing the problem, checking and rechecking wires, electrical connections, and exhausting just about every resource they could think of. Check in came and went and the vehicle passed tech inspection despite the persistent engine/tranny issues. The guys worked late into the night and with the help of other UA’ers, multiple trips to the parts store without resolution. Come the next morning after a measly 2 hours of sleep, they went back to work and finally after about 2 hours of testing wires found the culprit to be a wire coming from the throttle position sensor that was grounding out. A new wire was run and the KJ immediately fired up, revved high and shifted through the gears. The guys hurried out to the first off-road park 20 minutes away and BDS’s official Ultimate Adventure was under way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:05 am 
LOST Member

Great Job! :mrgreen: I followed ya'll from start to finish. I hope to see more video of this KJ in action. Thanks BDS.....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

WHAT A AWESOME BUILD!!!!!! CAME OUT GREAT!!! Question, do you have any pics of how you ran the intake on it? very curiouse how it was routed, as well as the exhaust.

245/75/r16 Wrangler MT/R's
'02 dodge 3/4ton pick-em-up truck
35 12.50 16 Super swamper ltbs
Built 360, Built transmission dana 60s front and rear
5 inch bds/tough country/Dodgeoffroad lift
Hurculined inside the cab
^contact me if interested, maybe selling for the right price to SAS the CRD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:08 pm 
LOST Member

I live in Alabama how the ###k did I not know Ultimate adventure was through it. I would have done anything to see it!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oilburner44 wrote:
WHAT A AWESOME BUILD!!!!!! CAME OUT GREAT!!! Question, do you have any pics of how you ran the intake on it? very curiouse how it was routed, as well as the exhaust.

The intake was a tight fit with all the plumbing for turbo and intercooler, but it runs up into the passenger side cowl where we mounted the AFE cone filter. I had posted some photos that show the intake (page 6 of the build thread), check them about for a better visual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next