It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lack of Power Steering Assist
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:53 pm 
LOST Member

Greetings. I seem to be having an issue with a lack of power steering lately...and the irritating part is that I had the power steering pump/rack/lines replaced 11 months and 13,000 miles ago on my 2004 Limited (the shop will warranty the work for 12 months/12,000 miles, whichever comes first...ugh). The reason for this replacement was I totally lost all power steering one evening.

The problem I am now having is, that the steering wheel is abnormally difficult to turn when totally stationary. If I'm in park and try to turn the wheel and give it a little gas (maybe 1200 RPM) it becomes easier, but then difficult again after the revs drop. I understand that the nature of the beast would indicate that it is indeed more difficult to turn the tires when stationary...however the amount of force required is excessive and was not like that after the the pump/rack/line replacement last year. It only becomes more difficult to turn the wheel after about half a turn. This is coupled with the moan out of the pump that does not sound any different than the past.

When I'm moving, I have no issues at all.

I just replaced the serpentine belt and popped the reservoir cap off and turned to full lock a few times (10-15 times) to see if there was air in the system. The steering appeared to eventually get a little bit easier, but this was intermittent and now appears to be back to how it was after a day or so.

The reservoir appears to overfull and the fluid a light brownish color. These are red flags in my book, but would that be any cause or indication of the problem I am having? I plan on replacing the fluid and adding the proper amount.

If the pump is shot, I'll suck it up and pony the cash to replace it myself...but if the rack is shot, then I'm going to have a serious problem.

Any assistance/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ryan