It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Modifying Hazard / Blinker relay for LED turn signals
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:39 am 

ljnova wrote:
Alright gentlemen, here's the follow-up:

First off, here are the pictures of the aftermarket Hazard / flasher for my '04 Jeep Liberty:

When I installed this aftermarket part into truck the flash rate was much higher however as soon as I tested it with all the exterior (and cabin courtesy) LED lights the rapid flash problem still persisted. Initially, I replaced the headlights, interior to LED. Right away I noticed that when I turned on the engine and began driving, the interior LED lights dimmed but did not completely power off while the vehicle is running. As soon as I shut off the engine and exit the Jeep the interior lights would dim slowly and then turn off.

Interesting. The interior lights in ours are still incadescents, but all exterior lights are LEDs except for the fog and headlamps. I'm wondering if that may be something that crops up when I start doing the interior lights.

One thing re: the interior lights dimming slowly then turning off: this is normal behaviour on our 2005 CRD Limited - at least, it's done that for as long as we've had it, so I presume it's normal.

Out of curiosity, when this was happening and you mentioned that you had replaced the interior lights, are you talking about just the dome / footwell lights, or more than just those two? I have a possible theory forming, but would like to know a bit more before putting it out there to possibly muddy the waters.

Quote:
I modified the OEM switch with a 0.5 ohm 3-watt resistor as the gentleman in this thread suggested:

I went ahead and replaced the headlights, directional, reverse, stop, side marker and interior incandescents bulbs to LED. As soon as I replaced the aftermarket and installed the modified OEM switch everything appeared to go back to normal HOWEVER I noticed a peculiar behavior when I switched on the headlights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A4 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JR ... UTF8&psc=1

These 3157 LEDs when lit continuously (headlights on) cause both directional indicator lights in the instrument cluster to remain steadily lit dim even when the flasher is turned on.

I figured out why this is happening by replacing the front side marker directionals with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9 ... UTF8&psc=1

These LEDs have built-in load resistors which stopped the problem resuming back to normal.

This is starting to make me think that my theory may have some truth to it. That's still speculation on my behalf, but part of it may be dependent on trim level and year of manufacture. I recall that you mentioned that your KJ is an '04; what trim level does it have?

Quote:
Either way this is a learning experience.

That's been my experience with every vehicle I've owned made after about 1996 that I've done LED conversions on.

Quote:
I decided to go ahead and replace ALL of the remaining old bulbs in my truck for LED which are the instrument cluster, climate control panel and transmission shifter lights.

It's been trial and error as what is believed to work and what actually does.

For example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072X ... UTF8&psc=1

These bulbs Amazon and the manufacturer state will fit the instrument cluster which is incorrect. Those lights fit the climate control panel.

These are the correct ones for the instrument cluster: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MK ... UTF8&psc=1

The other thing I have to warn all of you that the instrument cluster lights type B8.4D are quite fragile. The metal contacts can break quite easily. I bought 20 just to be on the safe side and I ended up breaking 6 of them. They are also non-canbus meaning they will work only one polarity.

When installing the LEDs, I had to bend down the top metal contacts leaving a small gap between them and the lower contacts at the LED's base so they were able to make connection with the electrical surface of the instrument panel's electronic board and were a snug fit. Use a small flathead screwdriver and a set of thin pliers to gently set in and turn until they are snug fit coming to a complete stop. Don't force.

Connect and test the cluster each time as you may have to remove each LED and turn 180 degrees for the correct polarity to light up.

The lights for the climate control panel are T4/T4.2 Neo Wedge. These are easier however you have to push in as you turn when installing. Again, test and verify they work.

I finally finished replacing all of the incandescents for LEDs in my '04 Liberty.

This was a challenging but not a difficult project. One thing I do agree with Mr. Waddy is that it is necessary to modify the hazard switch with a resistor as these lights pull so little amount of energy that they will throw off the vehicle's PCM electrical system.

As you can see they are way brighter. I love it.

Have to say, that does look really nice. Well done :D

Question: do your instrument panel LEDs allow dimming without flicker our cut-out? Part of the reason I haven't done the interior lights yet is that I like having low instrument panel illumination at night, so typically have the dimmer set to one notch above minimum. That may not provide enough power to drive the LEDs unless they're dimmable, though, and flicker is right out.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

"Out of curiosity, when this was happening and you mentioned that you had replaced the interior lights, are you talking about just the dome / footwell lights, or more than just those two? I have a possible theory forming, but would like to know a bit more before putting it out there to possibly muddy the waters."

The behavior started when I replaced the dome lights for LED. My Liberty does not have lights in the footwell areas nor in the glove / registration compartment.

"This is starting to make me think that my theory may have some truth to it. That's still speculation on my behalf, but part of it may be dependent on trim level and year of manufacture. I recall that you mentioned that your KJ is an '04; what trim level does it have?"

Not sure about trim level however mine is a "limited Sport" edition.

"Question: do your instrument panel LEDs allow dimming without flicker our cut-out? Part of the reason I haven't done the interior lights yet is that I like having low instrument panel illumination at night, so typically have the dimmer set to one notch above minimum. That may not provide enough power to drive the LEDs unless they're dimmable, though, and flicker is right out."

I've tested the dimmer switch and these lights seem to function the same way as their incandescent counterparts. I prefer my lights to be bright and these deliver.

One more thing I forgot to mention:

I decided to purchase another pair of these for the rear directionals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9 ... UTF8&psc=1

I had those in the front side marker reflector housings along with these:

https://www.amazon.com/Yorkim-Generatio ... way&sr=8-7

The reason I did is because the LEDs I had in the rear which are these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A4 ... UTF8&psc=1

Were still causing voltage "glitch" in the vehicle's electrical system that the resistor hack did not completely solve. All 4 directional / flasher lights have built-in resistors.

Again this was a project and a learning experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:44 pm 
LOST Addict

FWIW I soldered in a .33 ohm (orange orange silver gold) resistor today. It solved the hyper flash and I ran it for a minute or 2, and the flasher housing got a little warm, but no hot smell. As of yet, I only have the ARB LEDs up front, but i hope to add some in back because the rear lights tend to scorch the housing with heat. The LEDs on autozone website had terrible reviews, hopefully there are some good bright ones available?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Last edited by Mountainman on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:11 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
FWIW I soldered in a .33 ohm (orange orange silver gold) resistor today. It solved the hyper flash and I ran it for a minute or 2, and the flasher housing got a little warm, but no hot smell. As of yet, I only have the ARB LEDs up front, but i hope to add some in back because the rear lights tend to scorch the housing with heat. The LEDs on autozone website had terrible reviews, hopefully there are some good bright ones available?

https://www.superbrightleds.com

They're not the cheapest, but I've been dealing with them since around 2005 or so. Return policies on failed items (which I've only had to use twice, IIRC) are very reasonable, unlike Amazon sellers. Their bulbs are what I've had in the CRD for the past couple of years (with the regrettable exception of the CHMSL, which came from Wal-Mart) and I'm happy with them.

Whatever you do, do not buy the Philips Zevos available from Wal-Mart and elsewhere. They're overpriced crap.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Correction: .33 ohm!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks! I was going to look at them. My wifes 2009 Honda fit was eating all headlight bulbs until I retrofitted a set of the Superbrights, and like the name they are much brighter which was an added bonus as her night vision is pretty bad...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:34 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Thanks! I was going to look at them. My wifes 2009 Honda fit was eating all headlight bulbs until I retrofitted a set of the Superbrights, and like the name they are much brighter which was an added bonus as her night vision is pretty bad...

No worries, and glad it helped :)

The one thing I'll add to that: if you find a bulb that you're interested in, be sure to compare both lumens and colour temperature against other ones they have that may be compatible. Their recommendations aren't always as cut-and-dried as they might seem - for example, a bulb with fewer LEDs may have a higher output, or wider angle of radiation compared to one with more LEDs.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:02 am 
LOST Addict

Makes sense. So I guess they have us covered for all of the bulbs in the rear of the jeep? Will be nice to not have to change them for several years with any luck!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:57 am 

Mountainman wrote:
Makes sense. So I guess they have us covered for all of the bulbs in the rear of the jeep? Will be nice to not have to change them for several years with any luck!

Yep. I've converted all of the external lighting (except for the head and fog lights) to LEDs using their bulbs, so you should be able to find everything you need under one roof.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:42 pm 
LOST Addict

casm wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Yep. I've converted all of the external lighting (except for the head and fog lights) to LEDs using their bulbs, so you should be able to find everything you need under one roof.

Thanks again, from what they're site says, it should be a once and done install :pepper:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:33 pm 
LOST Member

I had to order a 10 pack of resistors for this project so I have a few extras if anyone wants to do this mod and needs one let me know and I’ll send one out for you. They are .5ohm, 3watt.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman wrote:

Did you replace all of the lights with LED? I am curious how your KJ Jeep is running with the higher Ohm resister modified in the hazard switch?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:01 am 

ljnova wrote:
Did you replace all of the lights with LED? I am curious how your KJ Jeep is running with the higher Ohm resister modified in the hazard switch?

(I realise this was directed at Mountainman, but figured I'd answer with my experience as well.)

All exterior lights on our KJ except for the headlights have been converted to LEDs at this point - and the headlights are in the process of being converted. Once they're done, that'll be everything on the outside.

The hazard switch mod has been in place for almost two years, and there appear to be no problems as a result. Everything works as normal, just... LEDier :mrgreen:

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

casm wrote:
ljnova wrote:

(I realise this was directed at Mountainman, but figured I'd answer with my experience as well.)

All exterior lights on our KJ except for the headlights have been converted to LEDs at this point - and the headlights are in the process of being converted. Once they're done, that'll be everything on the outside.

The hazard switch mod has been in place for almost two years, and there appear to be no problems as a result. Everything works as normal, just... LEDier :mrgreen:

The reason I am asking is because I decided to check my 'mod' of the hazard switch and I noticed that the 0.5 ohm 3-watt resistor I had installed has started to deteriorate. As a precaution, I am looking to replace it. Although it initially functioned pretty well, I noticed that when all of my lights were on for night time use, in the instrument cluster the left driver side directionals lights would be off at first but then would slowly power back on dimly lit. I am guessing that the Ohms of the resistor is not enough.

Just wondering if 0.33 ohm is the better choice, and by your answer it appears so.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:36 am 

ljnova wrote:
The reason I am asking is because I decided to check my 'mod' of the hazard switch and I noticed that the 0.5 ohm 3-watt resistor I had installed has started to deteriorate. As a precaution, I am looking to replace it.

Just out of curiosity, how did you determine that it was deteriorating?

Quote:
Although it initially functioned pretty well, I noticed that when all of my lights were on for night time use, in the instrument cluster the left driver side directionals lights would be off at first but then would slowly power back on dimly lit. I am guessing that the Ohms of the resistor is not enough.

That's... Odd. To verify that I'm understanding correctly: when you hit the left turn signal (or turn on the hazard lights), the amber turning lights on the outside take time to power up and start flashing? I understand (I think) what you're saying re: the instrument cluster, but does that behaviour translate out to what's happening on the lights on the outside of the vehicle?

Quote:
Just wondering if 0.33 ohm is the better choice, and by your answer it appears so.

Not necessarily. While lowering the resistance would cause more current to flow, if something in the circuit is causing problems then changing the resistor may have little to no effect.

The thing that makes me suspect that it's possibly not the resistor is that it sounds as though you're not seeing any problems on the right-hand side. Since the resistor is used for both the left- and right-hand side turn signals as well as the hazard lights, an issue that is specific to the left-hand side should also be duplicated on the right if only the resistor is the issue.

Check grounds, bulb sockets, wiring, etc. along the left-hand side lighting. Also, you may want to try removing bulbs one at a time and seeing what happens with the indicators as each one is taken out; LEDs can have internal failures that aren't necessarily obvious but that can cause some weird issues.

It's also possible that the left-hand-side relay or microcontroller in the hazard switch has gone bad, but let's stick with the stuff that is more easily traceable for now.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 am 
LOST Newbie

casm wrote:
ljnova wrote:
The reason I am asking is because I decided to check my 'mod' of the hazard switch and I noticed that the 0.5 ohm 3-watt resistor I had installed has started to deteriorate. As a precaution, I am looking to replace it.

Just out of curiosity, how did you determine that it was deteriorating?

Quote:
Although it initially functioned pretty well, I noticed that when all of my lights were on for night time use, in the instrument cluster the left driver side directionals lights would be off at first but then would slowly power back on dimly lit. I am guessing that the Ohms of the resistor is not enough.

That's... Odd. To verify that I'm understanding correctly: when you hit the left turn signal (or turn on the hazard lights), the amber turning lights on the outside take time to power up and start flashing? I understand (I think) what you're saying re: the instrument cluster, but does that behaviour translate out to what's happening on the lights on the outside of the vehicle?

Quote:

Not necessarily. While lowering the resistance would cause more current to flow, if something in the circuit is causing problems then changing the resistor may have little to no effect.

The thing that makes me suspect that it's possibly not the resistor is that it sounds as though you're not seeing any problems on the right-hand side. Since the resistor is used for both the left- and right-hand side turn signals as well as the hazard lights, an issue that is specific to the left-hand side should also be duplicated on the right if only the resistor is the issue.

Check grounds, bulb sockets, wiring, etc. along the left-hand side lighting. Also, you may want to try removing bulbs one at a time and seeing what happens with the indicators as each one is taken out; LEDs can have internal failures that aren't necessarily obvious but that can cause some weird issues.

It's also possible that the left-hand-side relay or microcontroller in the hazard switch has gone bad, but let's stick with the stuff that is more easily traceable for now.

I took the hazard switch out when I removed the radio & climate control out of the center console. I checked the hazard switch modification of the added resistor and noticed that it started essentially "flaking off'.

And NO, it is not the outside amber lights. They function fine. It is the instrument cluster LEFT directional indicator light that SLOWLY lights up when the headlights are switched on. I've checked all the wiring tracing any shorts or splits / damage....nothing. I am going to switch out the smaller LEDs the front turn signal reflectors as they appear to be slowly dimming.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:43 am 

ljnova wrote:
I took the hazard switch out when I removed the radio & climate control out of the center console. I checked the hazard switch modification of the added resistor and noticed that it started essentially "flaking off'.

Yep, sounds like a bum resistor; at least it's an obvious problem. My suggestion would be to stick with a 0.5Ω one for its replacement - 0.3Ω may be bit too borderline for preventing hyperflash. YMMV, though.

Quote:
And NO, it is not the outside amber lights. They function fine. It is the instrument cluster LEFT directional indicator light that SLOWLY lights up when the headlights are switched on.

Interesting. More:

Quote:
I've checked all the wiring tracing any shorts or splits / damage....nothing. I am going to switch out the smaller LEDs the front turn signal reflectors as they appear to be slowly dimming.

Re: the LEDs currently in the front turn signal reflectors: are they the type that always run at low intensity when the headlamps are on, but alternate between low and high intensity when the indicator is turned on?

If you swap out both of the bulbs you're referencing with incandescents, does the problem go away? It's sounding as though there may be one or more malfunctioning LEDs in there, but that resistor is clearly an issue as well so there isn't one clear culprit to point a finger at right now.

Just out of curiosity, what year / model is your KJ?

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

casm wrote:
ljnova wrote:

Yep, sounds like a bum resistor; at least it's an obvious problem. My suggestion would be to stick with a 0.5Ω one for its replacement - 0.3Ω may be bit too borderline for preventing hyperflash. YMMV, though.

Quote:
And NO, it is not the outside amber lights. They function fine. It is the instrument cluster LEFT directional indicator light that SLOWLY lights up when the headlights are switched on.

Interesting. More:

Quote:
I've checked all the wiring tracing any shorts or splits / damage....nothing. I am going to switch out the smaller LEDs the front turn signal reflectors as they appear to be slowly dimming.

Re: the LEDs currently in the front turn signal reflectors: are they the type that always run at low intensity when the headlamps are on, but alternate between low and high intensity when the indicator is turned on?

If you swap out both of the bulbs you're referencing with incandescents, does the problem go away? It's sounding as though there may be one or more malfunctioning LEDs in there, but that resistor is clearly an issue as well so there isn't one clear culprit to point a finger at right now.

Just out of curiosity, what year / model is your KJ?

My truck is a 2004 Jeep Liberty / Sport.

I swapped out the questionable SIDE MARKER LEDs for another brand as I have found that the aforementioned are not as durable.

I purchased these instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8F4LNY/re ... UTF8&psc=1

After installing them, almost immediately, the "parasitic draw" I wrote about previously was eliminated. I am wondering if the ceramic material they are manufactured from solved the issue.

I am going to replace the resistor with a more durable-made one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BF ... UTF8&psc=1

And I am replacing the dome lights I have now with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L8 ... UTF8&psc=1

and these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0878 ... UTF8&psc=1