It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing your Liberty's interior lights with LEDs?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just replaced all the ceiling lamps (2 front, one middle, one rear) in my '06 Liberty with LEDs, and learned a couple new tricks. Apparently all LEDs are not created equal; some have a built-in parallel resistor and others don't. The circuitry that controls the interior lights always puts out a tiny bit of current, even when the interior lights are off--not nearly enough to make an incandescent bulb glow, but enough to make an LED barely glow, if it doesn't have that parallel resistor, just enough to be annoying at night. If you run into this problem, simply drop by Radio Shack, pick up a 2-kilohm 1/8-Watt resistor, and stick it in parallel with one of the LEDs. Doesn't matter which one. Presto, no more annoying glow from the LEDs.

Current: 2006 Liberty CRD Sport (SunCoast TC, GDE EcoTune, SAMCO hoses, Fumoto oil drain valve), 1998 Wrangler Sport (2.4L, 2" lift, winch)
Previous: '43 Willys, '75 CJ-5, '82 Wagoneer Limited, '94 Wrangler Renegade, '96 Cherokee

Post subject: Re: Replacing your Liberty's interior lights with LEDs?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Are led's the solution to the poor interior lighting on the liberty? Jeez mine is dark as a cave.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:46 am 
LOST Newbie

jlg89, thanks for that tip, and to PhilW55 yes they improve the lighting considerably and they look good. I went with blue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well the resistor didn't fix it for me, the lights still give off a faint glow but only when the car is occupied, so I guess I'll just live with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Greetings To The LOST World!

Sorry for dragging out an old thread but it was my reference to finding out more about LED Interior cabin lights for the KK.

Technology is always improving, and the LED lamp world is exploding with new players everyday. I found these Monster brand LED lamps on Amazon, and they come with a 2 year warranty. They claim to be very bright. They also indicate they are CAN Bus friendly. So I ordered them.

They are very bright. It also didn't hurt that I left the reflectors out of the front map lamp housings. The best part is I replaced all of my lamps and have no low lamp glow that others have reported. So it would appear that the CAN bus friendly statement is true.

What you may not know is what you need to order so I am going to help you out, because Monster does not offer a complete KK set, that I could find.

First you need 3 of these tubular lamps. That is to bad since they only come two to a package. So you need two packages. Two bulbs go in the front map lamps, and one goes in the rear cargo lamp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GC ... UTF8&psc=1

Next you need a package of these for the front foot-well lamps, and the rear seat reading lamps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GC ... UTF8&psc=1

This is a very pleasing project. You get to see the results instantly!

Lando Liberty 2011 Kk