It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grinding noise
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone!
Seeking some advice before I bring my 02 Liberty Sport to the mechanics. For the past few months I've noticed a "grinding noise" coming from the engine when I first start her up, at idle and when I press the gas. The noise is not consistent but happens in and out. At first I thought it was bad bearings in the alternator which eventually gave out and I replaced but the noise is still there :furious: . I have not noticed any change in performance since the noise started or any issues. Thinking one of the pulleys must be going bad. Anyone have a similar issue? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Grinding noise
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Is it possible that the starter bendix spring could be broken allowing the starter to remain engaged longer than it should be?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Is it possible that the starter bendix spring could be broken allowing the starter to remain engaged longer than it should be?

Interesting thought, now that you mention it I do get a very windy sound when she starts. Sometimes it takes a second turn to completely turn her over. Will have to get it checked thank you

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:44 pm 
LOST Addict

BLUEKJ02 wrote:
Hello everyone!
Seeking some advice before I bring my 02 Liberty Sport to the mechanics. For the past few months I've noticed a "grinding noise" coming from the engine when I first start her up, at idle and when I press the gas. The noise is not consistent but happens in and out. At first I thought it was bad bearings in the alternator which eventually gave out and I replaced but the noise is still there :furious: . I have not noticed any change in performance since the noise started or any issues. Thinking one of the pulleys must be going bad. Anyone have a similar issue? Thanks

Does the noise change when you turn the AC on? Or off?
What you describe sounds like a bad bearing in the AC pulley/clutch.
But it could be any one of the pulleys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:20 am 
LOST Newbie

:frankie: [quote="flash7210"][quote="BLUEKJ02"]

Not exactly when the A.C. gets turned on/off which I thought as well. The noise happens when I do a cold start, at idle, and press the gas. Once I'm at operating temp the noise seems to go away at idle. It's hard to hear which pulley it is when the engine is on which is why I posted here. Taking her to the mechanics anyway to get the heater core flushed since its cold here in N.J and my hands are not up to the task and Ill have my mechanic check it out. Ill post the results for other people who have a similar issue.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Have them check the Viscous Heater clutch / pulley unit. That is one that will engage with cold start and go away when it warms up.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:46 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Have them check the Viscous Heater clutch / pulley unit. That is one that will engage with cold start and go away when it warms up.

I dont think his gasoline engine has a viscous heater.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Ummm, Yeah :oops:

Chalk one up for the gassy libs.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have had a grinding noise off and on. At first I thought it was my power steering pump. My pinion went out so I had it replaced and ended up replacing my high pressure hose. I ended up replacing the power steering pump because the one I had on was whining. Pump was on the ritz anyway. It did solve my issue. But as I was driving to the mechanic i heard a grinding noise off and on. Turns out the bearings in my AC compressor are going bad. So Ill be changing out the clutch. It got worse and worse and the grinding noise became constant until the car warmed up. As I inspected the ac clutch today I noticed it was loose. For shiz and giggles I decided to tighten the front nut on the clutch and the noise went away! I can see the pulley kinda wobble still so I will still replace the bearings. Best thing I can tell you is take a long screwdriver put it against your ear and put the other end on each unit with a pulley and listen for your noise.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:06 am 
LOST Newbie

dmanars wrote:
I have had a grinding noise off and on. At first I thought it was my power steering pump. My pinion went out so I had it replaced and ended up replacing my high pressure hose. I ended up replacing the power steering pump because the one I had on was whining. Pump was on the ritz anyway. It did solve my issue. But as I was driving to the mechanic i heard a grinding noise off and on. Turns out the bearings in my AC compressor are going bad. So Ill be changing out the clutch. It got worse and worse and the grinding noise became constant until the car warmed up. As I inspected the ac clutch today I noticed it was loose. For shiz and giggles I decided to tighten the front nut on the clutch and the noise went away! I can see the pulley kinda wobble still so I will still replace the bearings. Best thing I can tell you is take a long screwdriver put it against your ear and put the other end on each unit with a pulley and listen for your noise.

Thanks for the input,
Craziest thing is when Im under the hood the noise wont appear
But when Im going through a drive through I have to yell at the speaker since the noise is so loud lol
Ill have to give this a shot and update my post
Not sure if its related but now i have a P0420 code on the dash which is cat converter below threshhold :-)r
Hopefully a few bottle of the cat cleaner will do the trick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Turns out a loose heat shield on the catalytic converter :ROTFL: