It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering rack
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:18 am 
LOST Member

Hi all, Over the last few months I have noticed that the car will wonder more when driving at speed and I am always correcting it with the steering. Also getting a little vibration through the steering on bumpy tracks. I have inspected the steering linkages several times now and have not found any sizeable play on any of the linkages/ ball joints. I replaced the steering rack bushes a couple months ago of which helped slightly. I removed the serpentine belt to disable the power assist and this seemed to improve the tendency for the car to wonder at speed. Is It worth replacing the track rod ends and ball joints before delving deeper into the rack. Any advice much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Steering rack
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:25 am 
LOST Junkie

Yes, the track end rods can cause that, so if you haven't done it by now it's time. Also I assume you have checked that your tires are still good and that the side walls aren't week because that causes it also. Other consideration is how old is you suspension components at the front, ie bushes, coils and shocks.

Curt Front Hitch+Warn M8000 & Cradel
Asfir Front, Gearbox,Transfer Skid + Mopar Tank Skid
BF Goodridge KM2 & General Grabbers AT 245/75R16
OME NS131&790 + NS132L&948, 3/8 Boiler Top Plate, JBA 4.5, 2 Top Rear Isolators

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:10 am 
LOST Member

Hi pip, I have an OME with 790 coils and new dampers, The bushes on the upper arm are looking perished with cracks and I recon they are due for replacement at some point when time allows. The track rod ends I feel are original and PO used the car on a farm for several years. Before replacing the track rod ends is there a way to check the steering rack first? or bite the bullet and source a rebuilt rack. Also I don't recon the hydraulic oil has been replaced, would replacing it make any difference.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:11 am 
LOST Junkie

I swapped all the bushes out on the front drive train by the time I hit 100K miles and the track rod end twice and I got a more positive steering situation back. Like you, I am due to replace my steering rack before the next MOT as the bushes have perished. Having said that I don't have any steering issue at the moment. I might be stating the obvious but when was the last time you have the camber and alignment done to the KJ? Also as I said how old are your tyres? Rotate the tyres and see how you get one and if the situation improves or stay the same. If it stays the same I guess it's time to swap out all the bushes and get a full tracking and alignment done.

Curt Front Hitch+Warn M8000 & Cradel
Asfir Front, Gearbox,Transfer Skid + Mopar Tank Skid
BF Goodridge KM2 & General Grabbers AT 245/75R16
OME NS131&790 + NS132L&948, 3/8 Boiler Top Plate, JBA 4.5, 2 Top Rear Isolators

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Start with the tie rods. Here's a vid of how bad my KJ clunked with the old rack while turning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqS-pA1QeF8

When you replace the tie rods, see if the boot is full of fluid, mine was. Fluid in boots= bad rack.

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:29 am 
LOST Member

HoosierJeeper wrote:
Start with the tie rods. Here's a vid of how bad my KJ clunked with the old rack while turning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqS-pA1QeF8

When you replace the tie rods, see if the boot is full of fluid, mine was. Fluid in boots= bad rack.

Thanks for the input, I don't have a clonk on turning the wheel. More of a slight clonk felt on the steering whilst driving on rough ground. The outer track rod ends seem tight, I will pull away the boot to see if any oil is in there, I haven't had to top up the steering res in the last 2 years so I doubt I find oil in there but will take a look before ordering inner and outer track rod ends.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:13 am 
LOST Addict

Just take the clip off at the outside end of the inner, squeezes together. If any fluid is in there it should come out then.

2015 KL Limited