It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '04 Liberty Sport outer tie rods
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hope everyone here had a great Holiday!

I was on rockauto.com today and purchased new outer tie rods for both L and R on my Liberty. When I was installing my Power Stop Z23 Kit, I noticed that my outer tie rods were very easy to move by hand left and right. SO I assumed they are shot. Note this liberty ha 190K on it.
Besides this seeming to be a very simple procedure, I was just looking to see if anyone had any tips or etc that I should know before starting this....

Post subject: Re: '04 Liberty Sport outer tie rods
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:53 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Pretty simple , just count the number of turns coming off and reinstall that number going on. Be real close , well close enough to run to the alignment shop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:02 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Pretty simple , just count the number of turns coming off and reinstall that number going on. Be real close , well close enough to run to the alignment shop

:mrgreen: Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's quite literally as simple as Tom had mentioned. Another trick is to back the jamb nut off after loosening, and put some visible paint or white-out on the threads where the tie rod end stops... that way if you get messed up counting turns, you can put the tie rod end back to where it was. The onyl caveat I've found to that trick, is if the threaded ends of the replacement tie vs the old one are different...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

JasonJ wrote:
It's quite literally as simple as Tom had mentioned. Another trick is to back the jamb nut off after loosening, and put some visible paint or white-out on the threads where the tie rod end stops... that way if you get messed up counting turns, you can put the tie rod end back to where it was. The onyl caveat I've found to that trick, is if the threaded ends of the replacement tie vs the old one are different...

I do the same. I also measure Center to center for a double check. It also protects against the dog running into you, causing you to lose count and start over. Not that, that has ever happened

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

JasonJ wrote:

Thank you! I am attempting this fix tonight!