It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PCM failure need info for replacement
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone, shop told me my jeep pcm is dead and that there are none available. Dealer says backordered with no date in foreseeable future and refuses to flash an pcm I bring them. Found eBay pcm's and autozone has new ones that ship after VIN and mileage info are given. My question is if I get this autozone pcm and give them my info can I plug this in and drive my jeep? Or do I have to tow it to dealer and make up some excuse for them to do whatever else needs to be done for this thing to work. Mainly concerned with the built in security system and they key fob not allowing the engine to run or keep running with swapped out pcm. Any facts, thoughts, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, 118k unsure of all history bought 6 months ago. Recently replaced TC with lowered stall and rebuilt tranny, continuing to work on Jeep as money and time allows.

Post subject: Re: PCM failure need info for replacement
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Is it the TCM or ECM?

More importantly, what were the symptoms and fault codes?
Its possible the shop made a incorrect diagnosis.

A new ECM is going to be very hard to find.
Used is going to be you best bet. Make sure its from a 2005 CRD.

Check ebay. I saw one listed recently.
And check the CRD section. Someone there is parting one out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Did the shop make an incorrect diagnosis, I'm not sure sure. Is it possible yes. But this is trusted shop and at this time am sticking with it. Engine running normal. Has erratic idle dies. Fails to restart. The question I want answered is if I get a used or refurbished ECM, will it work in my Jeep. Junkyard will not have my VIN or mileage, correct, it will have donors? Refurshised model will have correct info but will the security system,Unsure of Acronym, block it out and shut down the system. If so the dodge dealer who all say is where I'd need to go says they won't touch anything they don't order and instal. And they say it's unavailable to order. Those are the questions I need answered. The diagnosis is already done.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:41 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
With regard to programming, There are options besides the dealer. Many mechanic shops, and even Locksmiths have the Dodge programming equipment. Some only have cheaper versions that only do security programming, but there are plenty with the full DRB-III. Call and ask around.
If anyone else wants to take a swing at it with something other than DRB-III, make sure you get them to agree that if they can't... There will be no charge.
Also, if you can, call Dodge with your VIN and have them give you the 4 digit PIN pass-number to your car's SKIM so they can put it back to original.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:39 am 
LOST Addict

Any ECM, new, used, or reman, will have to be programmed with your VIN and SKIM info.
I know the dealer can do it but I dont know exactly what tool is required.

BTW, your symptoms sound like a fuel system problem or a bad crank sensor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:33 pm 

Quote:
shop told me my jeep pcm is dead and that there are none available

You really need to be 100% sure what the problem is before considering replacing the ECM!!!
Replacing the ECM is not a simple job; as others have already stated, it requires programming the VIN no., milage, Injector codes, and SKIM code into the replacement ECM.
This has to be done by a dealer or someone the the correct DRBIII or equivalent tools and the knowledge to perform the correct operations...

If it cranks and runs with current ECM, you really need to rule out any other sensors or issues that could be causing the shutdown before going down the replacing the ECM path.
Is is setting any codes (DTC's) when this happens?
I also agree with Flash, I would be highly suspective of the crankshaft position sensor (CPS)....they are notorious for eccentric behaviour and not setting any DTC's... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:51 am 
LOST Newbie

I bought one off ebay for my 05 3.7 . Provided them my vin & mileage & they programmed it . I installed it & everything works .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

05 Liberty CRD here.

Car has been running fine, but today I started the vehicle, backed out, and it stalled. Couldn't get the engine to turn after that.

Towed it to a shop I go to, and they're telling me the PCM needs to be replaced. Looking at about $1,700.

What do you all think? I've recently been laid off, haven't been able to find something else, and getting this done will drain the last of my savings.

In appreciate any advice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 pm 
LOST Member

There was a guy on the CRD facebook page today with one available. Said to make an offer otherwise it was going on eBay. There's usually a few on eBay, usually (like $300-ish if I remember correctly). I bought a reman last spring with a lifetime warranty from a place called module experts. Cost $625 shipped to my house.

Either scenario is far less than your quote, but both require a dealer to do programming.

If your jeep is running fine though I'm not so sure it's the ECM. Is there a little red light down in the left corner of your display that does not shut off? Do you have a means of pulling fault codes?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

HER_CRD wrote:
There was a guy on the CRD facebook page today with one available. Said to make an offer otherwise it was going on eBay. There's usually a few on eBay, usually (like $300-ish if I remember correctly). I bought a reman last spring with a lifetime warranty from a place called module experts. Cost $625 shipped to my house.

Either scenario is far less than your quote, but both require a dealer to do programming.

If your jeep is running fine though I'm not so sure it's the ECM. Is there a little red light down in the left corner of your display that does not shut off? Do you have a means of pulling fault codes?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I don't have the tools to do anything myself.

When I try to start the engine, the red dot does appear as normal, then turns off after a few beeps. Which is normally when I start the jeep.

It'll crank but I just can't get it to start at all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:55 pm 
LOST Member

LyndseyPaige

Sounds like classic CRD crank sensor failure! Fails when hot and restarts when cool. About 50.00 at ID parts. Read about it maybe further down page in CRD love that torque?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:05 am 
LOST Newbie

dennyb wrote:
LyndseyPaige

Sounds like classic CRD crank sensor failure! Fails when hot and restarts when cool. About 50.00 at ID parts. Read about it maybe further down page in CRD love that torque?
Unfortunately the vehicle wasn't even running for one minute, was only backing out of a parking space. It couldn't have gotten that hot?