It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Urgently need Help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Good day guys. I am Charl from South Africa, great site you have.

I have a problem with my KJ leaking diesel. On inspection i saw that it is spraying out diesel from a pipe that comes from the fuel return block.

Unlike all the Pictures i saw on here mine is using a 4 way Steel Block.

1 Return to tank
2 Return from Pump
3 Return from injectors
4 Not connected "cause of leak"

Can someone please assist me, must that small hose be connected somewhere or not, if yes where must i connect it? It is a soft rubber pipe

I have searched everywere and tried finding a place it must connect to without any luck of solving this issue.

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: Urgently need Help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:43 am 
LOST Addict

It should have the following return connections:
Return from pump
Return from fuel rail
Return from injectors - long narrow hose
Return to tank

If your return block is broken you might be able to make a new one using brass fittings and nipples.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All.

I've also got a very slight but annoying diesel leak - and just can't see where it is coming from. I cleaned the engine down and I could run it for around 5 miles before I could even smell any diesel, let alone see it. But then after a few more mile the smell is back and there are signs of diesel being flung around off the fan belt.
I've tried holding a piece of cardboard in as many places as I can think of - and no telltale splatter anywhere. Any thoughts?

I've seen on eBay some additive that makes diesel glow under UV light - has anyone tried this and does it help find annoying minor leaks?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yeah the uv dye works , you may end up needing to give it a quick degrease with gunk engine deagreaser then blow it dry with compressed air before doing it so that you can trace the run back to the source without it being dispersed through dirt and grime

napa/carquest/etc should have the dye in stock, anyone who does regular parts service for automotive shops will have it

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks JeepinJarhead03. That's given me the confidence to go ahead and order one of the kits.

There are so many additives around - many of them bogus. I wanted some assurance that these UV ones do work - and wouldn't just clog my injectors and lead me into a world of pain.
I'd already cleaned the engine with Junk but that didn't help - by the time the leak was visible diesel was splattered all over again making it impossible to track the source.

I'm hoping with the additive I'll be able to spot the source of the leak before it has the chance to spread although I suspect it will turn out to be hidden under the large hose that runs along the side of the head (RHS as you face the engine bay and which makes it impossible to see what is going on. Maybe I'll also need a mirror on a stick to really get in up close.

I'll let you know how I get on once the kit arrives.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I'm really interested in what you find.

The engine driven fan tends to blow things back away from the front of the engine, so if it's the serpentine belt flinging the fuel around, the means of fuel getting that far forward are fairly limited.

One thing that comes to mind though, is the cooling fan on an alternator draws air from the back to the front. Just below the alternator is the CP3 fuel pump. It's likely that you're homing in on your problem already, but if, instead of a drip, you find a nasty mess all over the back of your alternator, you may have more than one fuel leak.

The block you speak of, someone, I believe Papaindigo, had a picture with the original fuel return junction block, with a replacement one fabricated from brass fittings. I suppose steel would also work if the threads were well sealed. I've been trying to find the photo but unsuccessfully so far. Perhaps someone else knows what I'm talking about and where it is located.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
The block you speak of, someone, I believe Papaindigo, had a picture with the original fuel return junction block, with a replacement one fabricated from brass fittings. I suppose steel would also work if the threads were well sealed. I've been trying to find the photo but unsuccessfully so far. Perhaps someone else knows what I'm talking about and where it is located.

This what you looking for? :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:12 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Yes, precisely. Thank you, WWDiesel.

On mine I noticed that the plastic block was being pressured every which way, and seemed more likely to break when attached. I just made sure all the connections were tight, removed the bolt, and left it hang loose so it can get comfortable however it wants to be. No leaks so far and the tiny fitting for the injector return isn't being bent so much.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry to be so long responding - it took a while to run the tank almost empty before adding the Ring RLD4 to the diesel as it only works diluted in a max of 3 gallons and I don't do that many miles in my Jeep!

Anyway I cleaned the engine bay with Gunk, mixed the Ring RLD4 in about a cupful of diesel, tipped this into the tank and within 5 mins I'd found my leak - really impressed by how well the additive works and how simple it made finding my leak.

It said in the instructions to run the engine for a few mins before looking for signs of a leak but I found that almost as soon as I started the engine after adding the additive to the tank, the fuel in the filter bowl began glowing nice and bright under the UV torch.

Then as I watched, a glow very gradually appeared around #1 Injector. Rather than this being blown backwards by the fan as I'd expected it would, the black plastic timing cover acted as a wind shield - meaning the diesel ran forward instead, trickled down the gap between the timing cover and the head and onto the serpentine belt idler pulley - from where it then spread everywhere. The reason I'd not been able to spot the leak was as it was running forward, the top cover was staying nice and dry - it was the rest of the engine bay that was splattered all over.

A new set of leak-off hoses/connectors - plus a quick tighten of the high pressure pipe nut just in case whilst it was uncovered - and no more leaks.

So if you have an annoying hard to find leak - I'd highly recommend this additive. It saved me so much time and hassle.
It is supposed to work equally well with Petrol and Oil leaks. Ring have another additive that works for air-con leaks. :BANANA:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am 

Glad you found your leak and it turned out not to be something major!

UV dye for diesel fuel is available in the states on eBay and Amazon, and at Grainger or O'Reillys if anyone needs some....
Just do not confuse fuel dye with AC dye as they are totally different products....

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount