It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Several Issues - Suspension Question Mainly
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all. It's been a while since I have been on the forum - busy life these days! I thought I'd pick your collective brain if that's alright. I have a 2006 gas with Frankenlift II installed. You guys helped me a bunch back in '13 when I had issues installing the first time. I have just over 100,000 miles on the clock now, but I've been getting some funky noises from (what I think is) the front end - crashing sound at low speed bumps. I replaced all of the bushings on both sides - UCA ball joint (JBA 4.5 UCA), sway bar connecting link and tie rod end - all MOOG parts. Seemed to quiet it down a bit for about 1000 miles or so but the noises are back. I took a closer look at the front suspension (spring/strut) and it looks like I only have about 1-1.5 inches of strut piston showing above the gas cylinder - does this sound right to you? Seemed quit low to me. I think I have 30-40k miles on the lift, but the spring controls the height, the strut just the rebound, right? When I rock it side to side, it does wobble briefly before settling down.

I'm assuming that I need to replace the struts since I've noticed some corrosion at the top of each strut and before washing it was pretty greasy in there, but does it sound like I need to replace the springs as well? How does one replace the strut on the Frankenlift? These issues (as well as others) are leading me to the confluence of "sell or save".

Other issues:
AC went out 3.5 years ago and I miss it in the summer since I have a little one now.
Manual Trans randomly pops out of first (only first) with a bang (happens on my brothers '07 as well)
Electrical gremlins won't let it sit more than 3 days without a jump
Transfer case rod randomly pops off the top of the transfer case usually leading to a messy crawl underneath to try and fit gorilla hands in the gap between the T-Case and the underbody
And just found today - a leaking radiator

Cobra 75WX ST
Frankenlift
JBA UCA

Allons!

Post subject: Re: Several Issues - Suspension Question Mainly
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:41 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

What do you measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
What do you measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front?

roughly 22 1/2 - 22 5/8

Cobra 75WX ST
Frankenlift
JBA UCA

Allons!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

How about your strut fork bushings? Where your struts in front bolt to the lower control arm. Did you also check lower control arm bushings themselves? I know mine are worn out, I need to replace them soon. The only other thing I can think are your steering rack bushings. If one of them are shot the steering rack will have a lot of play and will make noise over bumps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Apex wrote:
How about your strut fork bushings? Where your struts in front bolt to the lower control arm. Did you also check lower control arm bushings themselves? I know mine are worn out, I need to replace them soon. The only other thing I can think are your steering rack bushings. If one of them are shot the steering rack will have a lot of play and will make noise over bumps.

Great things to check - thanks! I noticed some slight cracks on the LCA bushings where they mount to the frame. Do you know if these are replaceable with simple tools? I try to do as much on my driveway as possible. The Power Steering box has a bushing that has become separated and half out (toward the radiator). Again, is this a relatively simple process to replace or is it more invasive, i.e. pull rad?

Cobra 75WX ST
Frankenlift
JBA UCA

Allons!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:44 pm 

If you have stock UCAs no they are not replaceable
I'd say the clevis bushings would be a great place to start
Well one thing it hasn't sagged much at all

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
If you have stock UCAs no they are not replaceable
I'd say the clevis bushings would be a great place to start
Well one thing it hasn't sagged much at all

I have JBA 4.5 UCA that went on at the same time as the lift. I replaced UCA ball joints two months ago or so (ones that came with the 4.5 UCAs were totally spent). I haven't seen a clevis busing that I know of - is that the bottom spacer for the Frankenlift front?

Cobra 75WX ST
Frankenlift
JBA UCA

Allons!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:31 am 
LOST Newbie

NOVA_KJ wrote:
I have JBA 4.5 UCA that went on at the same time as the lift. I replaced UCA ball joints two months ago or so (ones that came with the 4.5 UCAs were totally spent). I haven't seen a clevis busing that I know of - is that the bottom spacer for the Frankenlift front?

Just to clarify, a few posts ago you mentioned cracked LCA bushings, I just needed to clarify which control arms you're referring to.

UCAs aren't bad to take out but you'll need a long ratchet extension for drivers side, 30" maybe longer.

LCAs are a bit more labor intensive lol.