It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Checking For Suspension Wear
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey jeepers! :JEEPIN:
Having a strong suspicion the shock assemblies in the front and rear have given up on my 02 liberty with 122k but I'm not entirely sure since I baught this vehicle pre-owned. I tried researching the common symptoms and mine seem to follow except the excessive bouncing. I've had the sway bar bushings replaced which seemed to help but when I go over the slightest bump or dip I can feel and hear that less desired "clunk" and the steering will partially give out. Visually inspecting there are no leaks or fluids coming from the shocks and the front tires started to wear a little around the outside edges so I rotated them to the rear which also helped. Taking the wheels off and inspecting the wheel assembly there was not much play with the bearing, control arms, or rotors. Is it possible the shocks have given out without the excessive bounce symptom?

any input much appreciated

Last edited by BLUEKJ02 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Checking For Suspension Wear
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:26 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

BLUEKJ02 wrote:
Hey jeepers! :JEEPIN:
Having a strong suspicion the strut assemblies in the front and rear have given up on my 02 liberty with 122k but I'm not entirely sure since I baught this vehicle pre-owned. I tried researching the common symptoms and mine seem to follow except the excessive bouncing. I've had the sway bar bushings replaced which seemed to help but when I go over the slightest bump or dip I can feel and hear that less desired "clunk" and the steering will partially give out. Visually inspecting there are no leaks or fluids coming from the strut and the front tires started to wear a little around the outside edges so I rotated them to the rear which also helped. Taking the wheels off and inspecting the wheel assembly there was not much play with the bearing, control arms, or rotors. Is it possible the struts have given out without the excessive bounce symptom?

any input much appreciated

Stock springs and shocks have a life of about 50-60,000 miles on these .
I replaced the springs and shocks on my 04 at 20,000 due to hitting the bumpstops all the time and rough ride
My 03 had 78,000 when I bought it and it was already sagged over 1.5 inches. Rode like crap, bounced everywhere.
So first thing measure in front, very middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare
If built before April 12, 200s it would of been 19.75 inches, after that date 19 inches.
So in the end the shocks ( don't have struts ) and springs are toast .