It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 04 fuel filter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey everyone,
Ive been gearing myself up to replace my fuel filter for the last week or so by doing research and watching videos. Went to autozone and got the filter for an 04 sport- 30 bucks.
Drilled out the rivets holding the carpet down. Found the access panel and started scraping the lining that covers the access panel only to find that there IS NO ACCESS PANEL. In all the diagrams it shows the panel with 4 nuts holding it down after you scape the lining off of it. Mine has no nuts, and it is one continuous piece of metal from one side to the other. There is an indentation for a panel but it is SOLID. No acces plate.
My question is, if i drop the tank am i going to find a replaceable filter on top of the tank like all the videos and diagrams show?

Post subject: Re: 04 fuel filter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Depended which line it came off of, some didn't have the panel at all, some had nuts and some only had a heavy glue that basically had to be cut off with a die grinder

But the tank and filters were a given, IMO it's easier to drop the tank as long as you've got room to do it, than it is to finagle it through an access panel

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:32 am 
LOST Newbie

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
Depended which line it came off of, some didn't have the panel at all, some had nuts and some only had a heavy glue that basically had to be cut off with a die grinder

But the tank and filters were a given, IMO it's easier to drop the tank as long as you've got room to do it, than it is to finagle it through an access panel

That's what I've heard too. I think all the 02s have the panel. Beyond that it's a crapshoot. Tank drop time. Makes it all way easier. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I took off the gas tank skid in anticipation of a tank drop. About as far as i can go right now as i just filled up today and will have to wait until i use up the majority of the fuel. Did it on my old sho and it stalled out in the driveway with a cup of gas left in the tank lol. Made the tank nice and light. But still quite a difficult job by myself.
Do you think its possible since my jeep was month 5 of 2004 it could have 2005 fuel system where they had switched the filter as a part of the pump?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:20 am 
LOST Newbie

dstnm523 wrote:
Do you think its possible since my jeep was month 5 of 2004 it could have 2005 fuel system where they had switched the filter as a part of the pump?

It's definitely possible. You might not know til you pull it. That's a lateer 04 model and those transition years can be tricky.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, down to 1/4 tank. Im gonna pull it prob tomorrow or sometime this week and then we'll know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, so like a month later update on my fuel filter that i was going to do that week.. Turns out there was no filter and I just replaced the whole fuel pump and cleaned the entire tank. The pump has the filter screen inside of it and it did seem pretty plugged up with dirt and contaminants. Starts up! But for now will have to wait till tomorrow to fill it up and drive it.