It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turbo diesel inlet manifold cleaning
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, I'm new to site and finding it a wealth of knowledge, I have a question if anyone could help. I'm a proud owner of a 2005 KJ 2.8 diesel, I'm beginning to do mods and my first port of call is provent 200 for crank case ventilation then erg delete. I have been doing some research on ways to clean intake manifold without removal as this is a major job. I have found a service called BG Diesel Induction service and was wondering if anyone has had this done. It basically is a controlled chemical clean. I would be grateful for any input.
Thankyou beforehand

Post subject: Re: Turbo diesel inlet manifold cleaning
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:00 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
Welcome.
:D

Go check out the Sasquatch threads in the CRD forum down below.
There is a particular thread about installing the EGR delete package, with pix of the crud build up in the induction system near the mixing tube and valve assembly.

That area and down stream at the entrance into the intake manifold (flow control valve elbow) is clogged with oil/soot, and serious crud.

You don't want BG to dissolve that into chunks that break free and either obstruct your valves or wedge them open.

Better you at least try to chip that stuff out and vacuum out what you can rather than let it chunk up.

When I installed mine - I was able to reach in and rake it out where I could actually feel when I got to the edge of the mung.
From what I've read here and other diesel forums - after you get rid of the EGR, the carbon isn't there to gum up with the oil, and the oil just flows on thru.
The Provent will help there, so the oil that doesn't get trapped in the intercooler, and CAC hoses.

OTOH, there are those that make a case for the oil adding lube properties to the fuel.
::shrugg:: I used to dump my oil from oil changes into my Dodge Diesel's fuel tank, so I'm kind of partial to that anyway.
:-)r

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:24 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
The carbon sludge deposits in the intake system come from evaporated oil mixing with exhaust soot.
Provent will eliminate the evaporated ccv oil from the intake air (a small amount will always be there from the turbo)
Weeks kits will eliminate the soot source as well as a significant potential boost leak.

If I understand BG's literature correctly, it's a fuel system additive process.

I'm highly skeptical if this would work as you expect, because

Oil additives would only affect crankcase + lubricated systems, such as piston rings, cylinder walls, turbo bearings, valve train. Anything beyond that falls into the ccv system and would be neutralized by the Provent, or equivalent.

A good fuel additive will help with lubrication of the fuel pump, pressure control valves, injectors, combustion chamber, exhaust valves, and (possibly) exhaust / turbine.

Neither would have any affect on the carbon sludge in the intake.

I recommend doing as crasher suggests.
When you install the weeks elbow, clean what you can reach from the intake manifold opening.
Don't worry about anything beyond that until you have need to change your timing belt, when the intake / cam housing can easily come off anyway, and that is a good time to install ARP studs and inspect the rockers.
At this point you can fully clean the intake runners, or have them cleaned professionally if you like without a great deal of extra cost.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Thankyou for your reply I agree with you so I have purchased delete kit going to install it within the next few weeks. Looking forward to cleaning my engine up. Have a great day

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:30 am 

Jackobite wrote:
Thankyou for your reply I agree with you so I have purchased delete kit going to install it within the next few weeks. Looking forward to cleaning my engine up. Have a great day

Great choice! The Weeks elbow kit is a very good addition to your engine and allows you to get rid of the killer EGR system including the EGR valve, FCV, and EGR cooler and all of its associated coolant hoses which are potential coolant leak locations!!! :BANANA:

Once you remove the EGR valve and FCV (Flow Control Valve) and no longer have them plugged in electriclly, it will trip and hold a DTC which you can get rid of by installing a Do-It-Yourself tune available on this forum at: > viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418

Have any questions about the install or the DIY tune, just ask....

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I to have an '05 Liberty 2.8 CRD with a 120K miles. I installed the ProVent 200. My review is on amazon. Lengthy yes. Update wisdom is just use heater hose without any 90's. The 90's leak and the fuel hose is too thick to fit in the very tight confines under the hood. In my opinion the ProVent and some type of EGR bypass or delete option is essential to getting the performance and longevity a diesel should deliver. This is my first diesel and I have learned alot about it as it has demanded me be a committed mechanic. It's been a love hate relationship but I can say it's looking alot better now that this repair is complete.

Several months ago I yanked my EGR, capped the exhaust manifold outlet and gutted the Air Control Valve. Hopefully the control valve and EGR will find a better purpose in the recycle bin. This mod was done for about $100. It was a must modification as my vehicle was choking to death on carbonized soot. Fortunately Texas only requires a safety inspection for this vehicle so no worries on the emissions. ..Something to love about Texas!

I had a good welder weld up the two pivot points where I removed the vane and shaft inside the Air Control valve and then had him weld shut the EGR inlet to the elbow. I bought IDParts.com EGR bypass hose kit and the elbow gasket set. I choose to mod the existing components rather than doll out $300 for the Weeks Stage II kit from Sasquatch. This way I maintain an OEM appearance and more importantly do not introduce additional leak susceptible joints to my boosted induction pathway.

If you are still with me... As for the cleaning of the intake it was filthy having assessed it with a mirror. As you know you need to be part octopus to get at the inside of it. Since I am not, I was limited to a spray bottle with kerosene, an assortment of long flexible wire mounted brushes available at Harbor Freight and a butt load of rags. I alternately sprayed the manifold inlet, inserted and dragged a brush back to pull out the dissolving crud. This is a desperate approach but I am not pulling that manifold either and with enough patience I was able to remove alot of crud. At some point you just say that's as good as its going to get. I decided against trying to use products that dissolve and flush the volume of crud in the manifold through the engine. Alot of nasty's I don't want flooding my cylinders.

I also changed out the two intercooler hoses. Hindsight: I would not buy the Omix Ada hoses. Not very good fit and quality looks suspect.

Conclusion: I encountered no error code or check engine light since I had previously installed the Green Diesel Eco Tune which electronically bypasses the EGR. Vehicle is now running very well and hopefully I am at a long plateau of reliability.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:26 pm 

Good for you!
Any method you use to delete or disable the EGR totally is a huge plus on this engine for both reliability and longevity! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve