It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NO 4HI(full time) only part time on my kj ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

whrn i put my 2004 liberty into 4x4 all i get is part time i get no full time light on dash im woundering if i even have full time 4 hi on my truck is there a way to know my shifter says. :?:

2 hi

4 hi

n

4 low

Post subject: Re: NO 4HI(full time) only part time on my kj ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:03 pm 
LOST Member

You do not have full time if that is what your shifter says. Select trac has 2wd, 4hi, full time, n, 4lo on the shifter

Something similar to this: http://www.jeep.avtograd.ru/xfer/images/select-trac.jpg

You can also look at the transfer case. If it isn't 242 then it isn't full time capable. For clarification part time is meant for off road i.e. traditional 4wd. Full time is similar to an awd system

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Imagehere is my shifter but it does not say 4 full time just the the 3 others plus the nutrual.

http://imgur.com/a/D9BtI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

That's your shifter or not your shifter, hard to figure out if you mean it looks like yours but you only have 4 options, not 5, or that is the picture of your shifter as you are sitting in your Jeep? The pic is of one with Select-a-trac which does have "full-time" or basically AWD that won't bind the driveline if driven on non-slick roads, as well as 2wd, traditional 4wd hi, and 4wd lo.

If you don't have the "full-time" option, then you have Command Trac, which is a traditional 4wd system without the AWD option.

Quoted from the Jeepkj.com forum:

Quote:
Command Trac = Basic 4x4 system, offers the following:
4-Hi = all 4 wheels move at the same speed, only ideal for slippery conditions.

4-Lo = all 4 wheels move at the same time, but offers more torque at lower rpm's (i forgot the ratio) great when ur stuck, or when 4-Hi just doesnt cut it

2-Hi = where it's spose to be all the time, just both rear wheels are engaged

now Selec Trac has all of the above plus;

4-Full Time = another name for all wheel drive. you can have this engaged anytime, as it allows all 4 wheels to move at different speeds (unlike 4-Hi, where you will get binding, when you have engaged on dry/grippy surfaces)
this is ideal for the likes light rain, curvy roads...etc....

hope tis helps...(anyoen else add on or what not...) i didnt get too technical on it, maybe someone else might...

the jeep website actually has cool flash animation explaining it's different 4x4 systems

Command Trac shifter:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:10 am 
LOST Newbie

mine is the same one that you posted how fast can i drive in part time 4x4.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

musky123 wrote:
mine is the same one that you posted how fast can i drive in part time 4x4.

Don't drive in part time 4wd on traction surfaces which include wet and dry pavement.

You can shift into 4wd up to 55mph.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

i know that my question is since i dont have full time how fast can i drive in part time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Part time is for low traction situations. Technically, 55mph is the limit, I guess that all depends on how fast your guardian angel can fly. If you are doing those speeds in a situation where you can use PT 4WD, your bigger issue isn't how fast you can go, but how fast you will be going when you hit something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:19 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

musky123 wrote:
i know that my question is since i dont have full time how fast can i drive in part time.

Part time is ONLY for very slick, no traction situations
So not very fast
That said good tires in situations like that will get you better traction than 4 wheel drive a lot of times.
I have the same transfer case as yours but hardly ever use 4 wheel drive .
Only when in very deep snow or on ice covered roads and going slow to stay away from the idiots who think have full time they can drive 90 mph on solid ice covered roads

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:10 pm 
LOST Member

I've had part-time mode with locked front, and posi rear, up to 120km/h many times. I would certainly prefer AWD, but the NP241 doesn't have it. 2wd/RWD on a short wheelbase is too sketchy for me in cold/crappy/alternating conditions. The slight extra wear & tear, IMO, is a small price for the predictability and control. The part that likes it least is the 1310 ujoint (the rearmost one) which I've now changed twice over the last 70,000km. No big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

its not a speed issue - its a traction issue

in 'part time' the wheels are mechanically geared together

everytime you go around a corner - all 4 wheels move in slightly different arcs - so all 4 wheels rotate different amounts

so either the tires slip - or metal bends - depends on how much traction

Troy posted this a while back - its still true

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/driveline-bind.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:46 pm 
LOST Member

ATXKJ wrote:

^ I'd like to see what sort of condition the front driveshaft and ujoints were in leading up to that failure. Driveshaft failures can take out tcases. A stretched chain is a far more likely result of repeated driveline bind. Its not uncommon for a sloppy chain to wear a hole in the tcase housing.

If they routinely blew up from short stints on dry pavement, I should be on my 4th or 5th tcase by now. Its only since AWD cases became prevalent that so much attention has been drawn to driveline bind. Aluminum part-time cases have been abused regularly since 1980 or so. :wink: