It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air conditioning doesn't cool rear seating area
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I searched on the site for air conditioning and this topic did not appear. We have a 2006 Liberty Diesel Limited (KJ). The air conditioning blows cold air, no issue with that. The issue is the cold air does not cool the rear seating area regardless of how hot or warm it is outside. However, the heating system does a fine job of heating the interior of the whole vehicle. So the issue is moving cold air into the rear seating area.

We also have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (WK) with the 4.7L V8. It's AC also blows cold air. The difference between the two vehicles is that the WK has a factory installed duct that delivers hot air or cold air directly to the rear seating area. No such duct n the KJ.

I was wondering whether anyone else was experiencing the same issue. If so, have you found a way to move cold air into the rear compartment?

I thought of a temporary solution, but am reluctant to put it to the test because it would require a hose that might interfere with driving. The solution I contemplated is to attach a home clothes dryer flexible exhaust hose to one of the round dash air outlets and route it over the console to the rear area thus allowing some air to flow directly there. I really haven't thought too much about how to attach the hose to the dash outlet, but maybe a couple of pieces of spring wire threaded through one of the grill-like outlets that could be bent to hold the hose might work, sort of a Rube Goldberg affair. :D

Hope someone else has a better idea.

Post subject: Re: Air conditioning doesn't cool rear seating area
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Use floor only setting,sends a good amount of air out the rear vents on the back of the center console.Floor/vent setting sends some air out of the rear center console vents but not as much as floor only mode.